Thread: motor beep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

motor beep

On my 250 pro xs when you first turn key to first slot when smart craft gauges come on It used to beep. Now it don't. I don't know if it had anything to do with it but oil tank level is reading low oil/empty its full (main reservoir) motor was serviced month ago been out 3xs since then no issues. Any ideas Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: motor beep (cougarcat22)

Check connections at the warning horn on the ignition switch harness.

It has a purple wire, and a tan w/blue stripe connected to it.

12V positive power is supplied to the purple wire any time the key is on. 12v GROUND is supplied to the tan w/blue wire every time a warning horn is called for (including the test beep at keyup....).

If power/ground are present, and the horn doesn't sound: horn needs to be replaced.

Note: The PCM (computer) on your engine is capable of recognizing a shorted or open warning horn (which will set a fault, potentially causing Engine Guardian to become active).

You'll want this fixed PROMPTLY (without Smartcraft you're flying blind.... and without a horn- essentially "deaf" as well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member

Re: motor beep (EuropeanAM)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Check connections at the warning horn on the ignition switch harness.

It has a purple wire, and a tan w/blue stripe connected to it.

12V positive power is supplied to the purple wire any time the key is on. 12v GROUND is supplied to the tan w/blue wire every time a warning horn is called for (including the test beep at keyup....).

If power/ground are present, and the horn doesn't sound: horn needs to be replaced.

Note: The PCM (computer) on your engine is capable of recognizing a shorted or open warning horn (which will set a fault, potentially causing Engine Guardian to become active).

You'll want this fixed PROMPTLY (without Smartcraft you're flying blind.... and without a horn- essentially "deaf" as well). </td></tr></table>

Don thanks for the reply. This may sound stupid buying is the horn and beep the same my horn is working on alarm and in general.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cougarcat22
    On my 250 pro xs when you first turn key to first slot when smart craft gauges come on It used to beep. Now it don't.
    See the bold text in the above quote. If your statement is accurate- your warning horn IS NOT functioning properly (and should not be depended on until the problem has been located and corrected).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-11-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Syntax Correction.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM

See the bold text in the above quote. If your statement is accurate- your warning horn IS NOT functioning properly (and should not be depended on until the problem has been located and corrected).
    Thanks Guys...I had a brain lapse I didn't have kill switch attached therefore no beep when I turned key...I'm sure I got a bad sensor on main oil tank b/c now it's showing 0.9 to 1.7 and bouncing around and it's full I'll get that corrected as long as it's sending oil to tank resevoir and motor is oiling I can live with the screwy reading to I get it back to Regal. Thanks again! Thanks Don for your time!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-11-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Syntax Correction

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

That makes much more sense.

Sounds like you have a sensor problem, or perhaps the float in the oil tank is hanging.

The sender simply sends a "closed" circuit reading (near zero resistance) when the tank is full.

7. Member

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM
    That makes much more sense.

Sounds like you have a sensor problem, or perhaps the float in the oil tank is hanging.

The sender simply sends a "closed" circuit reading (near zero resistance) when the tank is full.
    Thanks Don. When I got to lake oil reading was 2.7....must be sensor or float like you said. Thankyou for your help again!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-11-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Syntax Correction

Just an added piece of info. I had the same issue at one time with no beep present when key goes to on.........First thing I did was hook up a test light to the horn wiring.........Light comes on and horn doesn't&gt; Horn needs replaced, No light&gt; Keep looking........LOL.

Being that my current motor is a little on the LOUD side....LOL, I installed a 3" lg x 1/2" wide Red LED strip on my turn signal trim box that's facing me. That way I'd never miss a fault alarm if I couldn't hear it because that LED is blindingly bright.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-13-2021 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Image Link Repair
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

9. Member

Re: motor beep (Nikon Man)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Man
    Just an added piece of info. I had the same issue at one time with no beep present when key goes to on.........First thing I did was hook up a test light to the horn wiring.........Light comes on and horn doesn't&gt; Horn needs replaced, No light&gt; Keep looking........LOL.

Being that my current motor is a little on the LOUD side....LOL, I installed a 3" lg x 1/2" wide Red LED strip on my turn signal trim box that's facing me. That way I'd never miss a fault alarm if I couldn't hear it because that LED is blindingly bright.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-11-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Syntax Correction

Thanks Jim..........

Here's a little wiring schemetic of how you would interface an LED WARNING LIGHT into your existing under dash harness for your OEM Warning Horn (MERC). Video Clip to follow later of actual LED in use............

LED available at: http://www.oznium.com/led-modules

Do NOT utilize the purple wire and tan w/blue stripe on any Smartcraft Harness. They are NOT for the engine warning horn (these leads are utilized ONLY for a "low depth warning" when the system is utilized with a Smartcraft Depth Transducer).
    Last edited by Nikon Man; 03-03-2015 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Replaced deleted files
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Thanks, Gary!

I'm going to pin this thread to the "Commonly Asked- Commonly-Used Sticky" under the "Mods and Such" heading.

Your quite welcome Don.........
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

13. Member

Gary,
    Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I need.
    I have a 2003 Merc 150 EFI with a SmartCraft monitor.

I located what I think are the correct purple and tan wires coming out of the back side of the multi-pin connector for the monitor. They have single pin connectors on them which are protected with rubber end caps.

Checking with a multi-meter and the 6 LED strip, all I get is a short pulse at the start of the horn beep - like a trigger pulse - very short compared to the horn beep.

I have not as yet pulled the protective jacket off of the main set of wires going into the multi-pin connector to see if there are additional purple and tan wires.

Does this sound like I have the correct wires? And is my system different from yours?

Thanks for your time, Eric

Modified by traveler2598 at 3:24 PM 3/23/2012

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: motor beep (traveler2598)

Eric:

IGNORE the horn wiring that's on the MONITOR HARNESS.

You MUST attach to the same wiring (in the IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS) that your existing horn is currently attached to.

15. Member

Isn't the alarm horn inside the monitor box with the display???

Is there an sonalert hidden up under my console someplace I can't see???

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traveler2598
    Isn't the alarm horn inside the monitor box with the display???

Is there an sonalert hidden up under my console someplace I can't see???
    The horn you need to be attached to is the ENGINE WARNING HORN. It should be dangling somewhere on the keyswitch harness, usually within 1.5 ft. of the ignition switch.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-11-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Syntax Correction

17. Member

I'll look tomorrow, but I've been under the console many times and have not seen a separate horn. If it's there it must be in the upper half of the console that's only accessible though a hand hole in the glass. But I would swearer the sound was coming from the monitor box.

My warning horn was in the wiring harness behind the key switch about 6" from the back of the switch. It was all wrapped in black tape along with the rest of the wiring with only the 'speaker' showing.

Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

19. Member

Re: motor beep (derick881)

Thanks guy's, you've been a great help.

I would have search a long time before finding that "horn"; in fact I would have bet a weeks pay the sound was coming from the SmartCraft monitor box.

My "horn" was about a little more than a foot away from the switch in a white plastic mesh wrapper in the upper half of the console.
    No wonder I had a hard time hearing that "horn ??", talk about small !!

Do you think it can be replaced with a 12V Sonaleart (spelling unknown) as well as the LED's?? I think they make a water-proof dash mount. I'll see how it goes with the LED's on a bright day before I decide about a bigger "horn"

Again, Thanks for your help, It's nice to know your out there and willing to help others.

Good Fishin'

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

I recommend using ONLY the OEM Mercury warning horn (NO substitutes). This is important as many models feature a horn-check sequence, during which the ECM reads the RESISTANCE value of the horn.

If the resistance were to be outside of the "allowable range"- a "Warning Horn Fault" will be set.

The LED lights (when wired as per above given instructions)... are not seen by the PCM during a warning horn check (and thus cause no problem).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast