Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

In line filter for compressor outlet.

0T998800

This is a general question on the Optimax engines and not specific to my serial number
    Several people around here are installing these filters in the outlet line of the compressors to protect the injectors in case of compressor failure. Now I know there is no way Mercury or an authored dealer would sanction this. But, it does make sense to have some protection in the event of a compressor failure. The flow rate seems way more than could be needed and the pressure drop seems reasonable. If the flow rate from the Opti compressor was well below the 17 cubic feet per minute in these specs the pressure drop should be well below the 5 PSI listed in the specs. I am in no way recommending this, just looking for opinions or comments. I know a couple of people that are installing them as I type this so I may have more info in a few days.

http://www.wilkersoncorp.com/9EM-TK-190/9EM-F01.pdf

Edit: Wanted to add that this filter has a replaceable element. I wonder if regular inspection might give a little advance warning of an impending compressor failure by examining the element on a regular basis. Just a thought.
    And another observation. this filter is rated to flow 17 CFM at 90 PSI. that would be equivalent to an 8-10 horsepower compressor. I doubt the compressor is anywhere near that large. I would think there is more than enough flow capacity to handle the volume of the little Optimax compressor?? Just curious to the thoughts and opinions of others.
    Last edited by ronnieh; 04-21-2016 at 12:21 AM.

What happens when that filter clogs? Will it immediately lean out the cylinder and blow the motor? You saved the injectors but killed the motor? Don't know the answer, just asking.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    What happens when that filter clogs? Will it immediately lean out the cylinder and blow the motor? You saved the injectors but killed the motor? Don't know the answer, just asking.
    What happens when a compressor blows a load of shrapnel straight into the injectors? If a filter is viable option, I'd risk having plugged filter.

I had a compressor fail and it just partially clogged a couple injectors so no motor failure but the injectors needed replaced. It was all under warranty though. I just would hate to have someone kill a powerhead trying to save some injectors.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

5. Banned
    I fully expect that you would feel a performance loss and shut it down if you blew a compressor, whether it plugs the filter, or it plugs the injectors.
    We don't throw away the fuel filter because it might plug and make the engine go lean.
    And injectors are $400 a pop.

6. Banned
    If pump fails or filter stops up engine will go rich.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnieh View Post
    If pump fails or filter stops up engine will go rich.
    In general- yes. That is not necessarily true in terms of delivery to the cylinders, however. If a DI becomes clogged, the engine will be LEAN (regardless of what is going on with the air/fuel rails or system).

This is an interesting idea. In terms of flow, it's certainly capable of the necessary volume (the 3L Optimax Compressor is a 5hp compressor).

However, a 5 psi pressure drop will cause substantial delivery problems.

Remember- fuel pressure is based from Air Pressure + Regulator Setpoint (80/90 for most standard production, 94/108 for most high-performance models).

Drop the air pressure 5 psi... the fuel pressure drops 5 psi also. The end result may be no better than what the device was meant to avoid....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    5psig loss would likely be at maximum flow. The 3.0 compressor puts out 1/3rd of that maximum.

9. Banned
    Don, I was glad you commented on this. I hope some others will also. But, I stand by my answer to 06SB in that with this filter, a failed compressor and/or clogged filter will result in a rich condition. The question and the answer was based on the hypothetical filter being in use. Obviously without any kind of filter then the junk can get into the DI and create havoc especially if it is a partial clog.
    Also as Nova Kaw said at a reduced flow the drop would be less, in fact it would not be linear. A third less flow will result in way less than 1/3 of the 5 PSI differential. Flow verses pressure drop is logarithmic not linear. At a flow of 5 CFM the drop would be less than 1 PSI.
    I just find it inexcusable that Mercury does not provide protection for the fuel system in case of catastrophic compressor failure. Again I in no way recommend this filter but, it is interesting. I should have some anecdotal results since I do know of a few people (not me) that have already bought these filters and have/are installing it.
    Don, could gauges be hooked up with filter in place and see how the fuel pressure and air pressure is affected on the water under a load? Obviously I wish there was a workable way to protect the fuel system. As his time permits I look forward to additional comments by Don and others that have extensive experience with these engines. BTW, is the 5 micron filtration small enough to provide useful protection?

10. Member
    I thought they already had some type of inline filter. When my compressor went on my 250 I remember there being Some small white filters maybe 3/4" long or so in the lines. They were full of fines metal when mine went
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSHII View Post
    I thought they already had some type of inline filter. When my compressor went on my 250 I remember there being Some small white filters maybe 3/4" long or so in the lines. They were full of fines metal when mine went
    The white filters are in the OIL lines, not the main air supply line.

12. Member
    Gotcha. I knew I remembered there being one somewhere.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

13. Banned
    Don, I was glad you commented on this. I hope some others will also. But, I stand by my answer to 06SB in that with this filter, a failed compressor and/or clogged filter will result in a rich condition. The question and the answer was based on the hypothetical filter being in use. Obviously without any kind of filter then the junk can get into the DI and create havoc especially if it is a partial clog.
    Also as Nova Kaw said at a reduced flow the drop would be less, in fact it would not be linear. A third less flow will result in way less than 1/3 of the 5 PSI differential. Flow verses pressure drop is logarithmic not linear. At a flow of 5 CFM the drop would be less than 1 PSI.
    I just find it inexcusable that Mercury does not provide protection for the fuel system in case of catastrophic compressor failure. Again I in no way recommend this filter but, it is interesting. I should have some anecdotal results since I do know of a few people (not me) that have already bought these filters and have/are installing it.
    Don, could gauges be hooked up with filter in place and see how the fuel pressure and air pressure is affected on the water under a load? Obviously I wish there was a workable way to protect the fuel system. As his time permits I look forward to additional comments by Don and others that have extensive experience with these engines. BTW, is the 5 micron filtration small enough to provide useful protection?
    Good post, and true, the restriction in flow through the filter would not be linear based on the rate of flow.

...I stand by my answer to 06SB in that with this filter, a failed compressor and/or clogged filter will result in a rich condition. The question and the answer was based on the hypothetical filter being in use. Obviously without any kind of filter then the junk can get into the DI and create havoc especially if it is a partial clog.
    I am not doubting your answer. I am curious about this too and was just asking my own questions that were popping into my head. It would be awesome to prevent damage to the fuel system following a compressor failure. I think it would be a great addition.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

15. Banned
    [QUOTE=06 SB;7263996]I am not doubting your answer. I am curious about this too and was just asking my own questions that were popping into my head. It would be awesome to prevent damage to the fuel system following a compressor failure. I think it would be a great addition.

Don is the one that said my answer was not necessarily true not you. I was just replying to him.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In general- yes. That is not necessarily true in terms of delivery to the cylinders, however. If a DI becomes clogged, the engine will be LEAN (regardless of what is going on with the air/fuel rails or system).

This is an interesting idea. In terms of flow, it's certainly capable of the necessary volume (the 3L Optimax Compressor is a 5hp compressor).

However, a 5 psi pressure drop will cause substantial delivery problems.

Remember- fuel pressure is based from Air Pressure + Regulator Setpoint (80/90 for most standard production, 94/108 for most high-performance models).

Drop the air pressure 5 psi... the fuel pressure drops 5 psi also. The end result may be no better than what the device was meant to avoid....
    Don, not being argumentative just trying to understand. My information comes from the service manual ordered from Rhonda for my engine. The principle may or may not be true of all Optis.
    The compressor output shows to be 110 PSI @ WOT and 80 PSI @ idle. The air regulator located in the port rail does not allow pressure to exceed 95 PSI dumping excess air through the exhaust adapter plate. It seems to me as long as the filter in question allows at least 95 PSI @ WOT and 80 PSI @ idle, all would be OK, no? It appears to me that the 15 PSI differential is what is important. As RPM drops it looks like the air pressure will indeed drop but the PCM seems to be able to adjust the amount of fuel based on throttle position and crank shaft speed. So yes as the RPM comes down the air pressure will come down causing the fuel pressure to also come down maintaining the 15 PSI differential.
    I have been reading this manual until my head is about to explode. I am sure I am misunderstanding something. Like O6SB I am very interested in a SAFE way to protect the fuel system from compressor failure.
    Again, Don, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Very interesting. So would this exact size fit? Installed on compressor outlet fitting then hose screwed to outlet port of filter? 250 ProXS 1B938636

Operating temp is 32-150. What would happen to element if you run through crap and temporarily overheat engine??
    Last edited by rocketman6965; 04-23-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Very interesting. So would this exact size fit? Installed on compressor outlet fitting then hose screwed to outlet port of filter? 250 ProXS 1B938636

Operating temp is 32-150. What would happen to element if you run through crap and temporarily overheat engine??

Engine temp going up would not necessarily cause compressor outlet temp to rise but if you lost water to the engine block you could for sure lose cooling water to the compressor. Good question. My exact reason for asking for opinions and comments in my OP.

Edit: In my OP that was just an example picked at random. there may be filters with a wider range of operating temps.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don, not being argumentative just trying to understand. My information comes from the service manual ordered from Rhonda for my engine. The principle may or may not be true of all Optis.
    The compressor output shows to be 110 PSI @ WOT and 80 PSI @ idle. The air regulator located in the port rail does not allow pressure to exceed 95 PSI dumping excess air through the exhaust adapter plate. It seems to me as long as the filter in question allows at least 95 PSI @ WOT and 80 PSI @ idle, all would be OK, no? It appears to me that the 15 PSI differential is what is important. As RPM drops it looks like the air pressure will indeed drop but the PCM seems to be able to adjust the amount of fuel based on throttle position and crank shaft speed. So yes as the RPM comes down the air pressure will come down causing the fuel pressure to also come down maintaining the 15 PSI differential.
    I have been reading this manual until my head is about to explode. I am sure I am misunderstanding something. Like O6SB I am very interested in a SAFE way to protect the fuel system from compressor failure.
    Again, Don, thanks for taking the time to comment.
    Air pressure does not (nor should it) vary by 10 psi as you suggest. You're probably confusing the "capability" of the compressor with the actual pressure on/in the system.

The real catch here would be in ANY variance in pressure. Air Pressure (or fuel pressure) are meant to be a FIXED pressure (when measured at 1000 RPM's), and should not vary by more than 1 psi.

Anything outside of that range will cause problems.

This is one of the reasons that Air/Fuel pressure diaphrams were not available for MANY, MANY years. Replacing them can alter the air/fuel pressures (and any replacement requires VERY critical and precise equipment to verify the pressures and calibration of the regulator).

I agree- it's an interesting idea. I personally would not recommend it without having tried it for 30-60 hours on one of my own engines (and then screening the Air/Direct Injectors... and the rails to determine whether it was a viable/suitable option).

I would not expect to see any change in the factory design, since the engines are near (or almost at) their EOL cycle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Air pressure does not (nor should it) vary by 10 psi as you suggest. You're probably confusing the "capability" of the compressor with the actual pressure on/in the system.

The real catch here would be in ANY variance in pressure. Air Pressure (or fuel pressure) are meant to be a FIXED pressure (when measured at 1000 RPM's), and should not vary by more than 1 psi.

Anything outside of that range will cause problems.

This is one of the reasons that Air/Fuel pressure diaphrams were not available for MANY, MANY years. Replacing them can alter the air/fuel pressures (and any replacement requires VERY critical and precise equipment to verify the pressures and calibration of the regulator).

I agree- it's an interesting idea. I personally would not recommend it without having tried it for 30-60 hours on one of my own engines (and then screening the Air/Direct Injectors... and the rails to determine whether it was a viable/suitable option).

I would not expect to see any change in the factory design, since the engines are near (or almost at) their EOL cycle.
    It would be nice to see Mercury step up and figure out something to protect the fuel system in case of a compressor failure. I know I will not be able to just shell out for a new engine anytime I feel like it. I have already been through a powerhead failure on my engine, and to pay over 5,000 dollars for that failure on a 6 year old engine was very hard to swallow. Warranty out and insurance will not cover. The customer is the one left holding the bag in these situations especially seeing how the engine is likely still not even paid for when it fails (bank loan), as was in my case. I love my Mercury, but I also feel that this is an opportunity for them to step up and design a fix for their loyal and dedicated customers. I mean no disrespect to you or Mercury with this post. Good day and tight lines fellas!!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X