Fuel gauge problem

I had to siphon out the fuel from my tank, since then, the fuel gauge does not work correctly. The gauge shows ¼ full to empty with over 30 gallons of fuel in the tank and my tank holds 50 gallons. Does anyone know what I need to do to get my gauge to work properly? My boat is a 2007 200 elite.

Thanks in advance
    John

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Fuel gauge problem (basstrophy209)

welcome!!! I am sure someone will be able to help....

3. Member

Sounds like time for a new sender

4. Member

Re: Fuel gauge problem (ssimpala71)

My gauge is off too. Its been that way since i bought it. I remember this topic brought up awhile back and the reply that was wrote was that at a quarter tank it was actually at half a tank and from my testing my guage reads the same way. Quarter tank is approximately 25 gallons. I usually try to put in what i think i will use for the day cause the grade of gas isnt so good these days and i worry about the ethanol thing.
    Phoenix 721 PRO XP / Mercury 250 PRO XS

L tanks are difficult to determine. 1/4 on my Gage was about 28 gallons. I use an LEI fuel flow Gage through my LCX. Meters the total amount left in tank plus real time fuel use/hour. Runs on NMEA networking.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

6. Member

My gas gauge worked fine when I bought my boat ('01 Champion 181SX) back in May '08. However after I had a GPS Sonar unit put in with a "shoot through the hull" transducer my gas gauge would only read 1/4 tank regardless of how many gallons were in the tank. I had my local shop check the gauge and the sending unit and turned out the sending unit needed to be replaced. I have made 2 trips since the sending unit was replaced and the gauge now reads correctly. The unit was about $30.

Re: Fuel gauge problem (NCChampion181SX)

Square tanks should be fairly accurate. Newer models have the tank up under the seats, hence L tank configuration. Real nasty to try and get an accurate reading.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: Fuel gauge problem (HaulinBass)

Luckily for folks who do not have the gadgets which monitor fuel usage, etc, most of the time, when the gauge is off, it reads lower than actual contents.

From the day I first put gas in the tank when I bought the boat, I have kept a running log of amts input and amts used (I have Smartcraft monitor).

Re: Fuel gauge problem (snipedu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snipedu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My gauge is off too. Its been that way since i bought it. I remember this topic brought up awhile back and the reply that was wrote was that at a quarter tank it was actually at half a tank and from my testing my guage reads the same way. Quarter tank is approximately 25 gallons. I usually try to put in what i think i will use for the day cause the grade of gas isnt so good these days and i worry about the ethanol thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately that is the way all the 200 Elites that I have been around read.

10. Moderator

Re: Fuel gauge problem (DEdwards)

Mine is off too! I have fished tourny's on "E" for a full day of running and gunnin.

11. Member

Re: Fuel gauge problem (dukhntr)

Mine is either full or around the half mark,,,at 3/8th I loaded 37 gallons but should have been closer to 31,5 gallons.,,,,,next time I'll run down to 1/4th of a tank and see how many gallons she takes.I did like the visual on my older 184.Seeing is believing. The old gage I could see to adjust,,, Either way I'm gone fishing in an hour.
    ****2008 203 LE ****
    ****Boat #6 ****
    ****250 Pro XS ****
    Lake Seminole