Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Problem with neighbors

Ok, I have a situation where a kid that lives around the corner from me is now the proud owner of a 4-wheeler. This machine is not street legal, the kid is, of course, a minor, and he rides without a helmet on public streets, all illegal. Breaking the law is thier issue, except when he’s up and down the street practicing wheelies in front of my house. I’m retired, and I have no desire to have my peace and quiet taken away by illegal activities. (I know, I sound like an old crotchety guy)

I sent a letter to his parents, asking them to let him ride anywhere he wanted, just not in front of my house. That way, he gets what he wants, and I get what I want. He and I assume his dad doubled down. In that letter, I gave them an option and made it clear I would have to contact law enforcement if forced to do so. They gave me no option. The cops shut it down for a couple of weeks, but now we’re back to square one.

The cops told me to let them know if it continues. I really didn’t want to involve them the first time, and I don’t want to do it now. The way I see it, my options are to send them a letter again outlining the options or simply turn it over to the law. What are your opinions on this?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Sure happy I don't have any close neighbors!

3. Member
    You sent your neighbor a letter? That’s embarrassing, they’re probably just mocking you for not having a large enough pair to just go talk to them in person

4. Member

5. Member
    Yikes.

Is he going back and forth in front of your place or something? That would get annoying, but people ride around our neighborhood in the fancy golf carts all the time. F the letter…if it gets that bad, and it’s illegal just call the law and let them handle it.

Doesn't look like the nice guy approach works with them. Call the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Doesn't look like the nice guy approach works with them. Call the cops.
    Yeah with neighbors that don’t give a chit about anyone but themselves, a talk usually ends up with “f you mind your own business”.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    You sent your neighbor a letter? That’s embarrassing, they’re probably just mocking you for not having a large enough pair to just go talk to them in person
    I live in Atlanta. I'm not interested in getting into a confrontation. It has nothing to do with the size of my genitalia. (how old are you?) Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

You gave them a chance with your letter and they ignored you. So, you contacted the police and they shut it down for a while. They told you to let them know if it continued and it has. Call the police and let them deal with it. Depending on the character of this family, you might expect them to retaliate at some point, which will escalate things even further. You might be wise to get a security camera as insurance.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I live in Atlanta. I'm not interested in getting into a confrontation. It has nothing to do with the size of my genitalia. (how old are you?) Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.
    Discretion? The message is the same isn’t it? I would feel disrespected if my neighbor sent me a letter instead of just saying the same thing man-to-man.

its weird.

12. Member
    It doesn't matter what you do now. If they retaliate, they know who to retaliate against.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Exactly, Just go talk to them. The only way that could be funnier is if he had his mother write the note for him.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

14. Member
    Living in Atlanta has nothing to do with it. It happens everywhere. The law will handle it. Put the cuffs on the boat motor and crank it in your driveway at 4-5 am. When the riding stops you stop. Not a fix but paybacks are well you know.

15. Member
    The police TOLD you to contact them if it continues.....do what the officers said. God forbid something happens and the officers asks you if it still has been happening and why you didn't call them back.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

16. Member
    You sound pretty crotchety to me! Saying goes you attract more flies with honey rather than vinegar. I would have tried being more nice and polite first by having a face to face conversation with the dad instead of being standoffish by sending a letter and giving ultimatums. But alas that shipped has sailed and now you have a next door annoyed neighbor to deal with until one of you guys decide to move.

Out of spite they might even start parking vans and other equipment for long periods of time in front of your house.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 05-25-2024 at 09:32 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    It doesn't matter what you do now. If they retaliate, they know who to retaliate against.
    I thought about that beforehand and sent the letter anonymously. Jeff, I have 360 video coverage around my home.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I thought about that beforehand and sent the letter anonymously. Jeff, I have 360 video coverage around my home.

If you sent it anonymously how is ge supposed to know he can ride it anywhere except in front of "your" house as you mentioned in your first post?

Then I’d call the cops and let the chips fall where they may.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    I sent a letter to his parents, asking them to let him ride anywhere he wanted, just not in front of my house. That way, he gets what he wants, and I get what I want

??

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast