Rod/reel/line combo epiphany

This is for those that had a "light bulb" moment on the water where messing with a particular bait/lure/presentation on a rod/reel combo that you never even considered for said application and tech, just worked out beautifully.

This happened to me on my Jackson Mayfly kayak this past weekend...I actually forgot a couple of tackle boxes at home and was limited to topwaters, wakes, and 6" bull shad type hard baits...all while the water was super high, up into the trees and bass were on the bream pattern.

Anyway, the combo that absolutely shocked and surprised me as being nearly perfect:

Jackall Poison Adrena 7'0" Heavy Swimbait rod (rated 3/8 - 2 oz) + Ian tuned & modded Daiwa Steez Limited 105 SV (7.9 brass EX gears + Zillion 1016 spool) + 15lb Izorline XXX + 6" slow sink 6th Sense Trace swimbait.

It was absolutely perfect for casting, manipulation of the bait, ease of use from the kayak, handling the ~ 1.4 oz bait.

Please share some of your rod/reel/line/tech "epiphanies"

2. Member
    I promise I'm not being snarky here, but why was it an epiphany that that combo (a high end swimbait rod, high end reel, and 15lb line) was great for throwing a swimbait?? Isn't that what it was designed for?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I promise I'm not being snarky here, but why was it an epiphany that that combo (a high end swimbait rod, high end reel, and 15lb line) was great for throwing a swimbait?? Isn't that what it was designed for?
    Not at all...this Steez was made for finesse apps and lure weights in the 1/4-3/4 range. The rod is also more adept for 1/2-1 oz topwaters as it's not a true swimbait rod, it's more a heavy + crankbait type blank.

So yes, it was a complete surprise for me as I was tossing these size baits on much longer XH powered rods or the TKIC SUPER STALLION that I used to own, which was rated up to 3oz and has a noticeably more powerful backbone.

FWIW, the rod also handled a ~ 1.5 oz wood rat wake very well, granted the 7.9 EX gears in the Steez wouldn't be my first choice for cranking big wakes as it would likely wear out the gears prematurely.

I think that rod is 7'4" not 7.

I throw 6" magdrafts on it. It also handles 1/2-3/4 oz chatterbaits nicely.

Right now it has a lowly Tatula sv on it.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Member
    Not so much an epiphany as just something I've come to realize is that there might not be a more versatile blank than the Hydra Ng FL4 (ALX Toadface). I don't leave home without one or two...Frogs, swimjigs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, Crig, Trig, jigs, Magdraft, Spro 40 Rat, smaller glides (1.5 oz or so), 5" Bullshad, Trash Fish, deep cranks, I've thrown a Vixen on it, whatever...It'll perform well with just about any bait from 3/8-1.5 oz (1/4 oz Trigs are fine too). Great rod when you're not fishing out of your own boat. Spool up a Zillion G with 16lb Sniper and bring an extra reel with 50lb braid and you can replace 5 rods.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I think that rod is 7'4" not 7.

I throw 6" magdrafts on it. It also handles 1/2-3/4 oz chatterbaits nicely.

Right now it has a lowly Tatula sv on it.
    If you are referring to the PA Swimbait I have, it's a Gen I Jackall, and it is 7'0" and rated 3/8-2 oz

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Not so much an epiphany as just something I've come to realize is that there might not be a more versatile blank than the Hydra Ng FL4 (ALX Toadface). I don't leave home without one or two...Frogs, swimjigs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, Crig, Trig, jigs, Magdraft, Spro 40 Rat, smaller glides (1.5 oz or so), 5" Bullshad, Trash Fish, deep cranks, I've thrown a Vixen on it, whatever...It'll perform well with just about any bait from 3/8-1.5 oz (1/4 oz Trigs are fine too). Great rod when you're not fishing out of your own boat. Spool up a Zillion G with 16lb Sniper and bring an extra reel with 50lb braid and you can replace 5 rods.
    Yeppers, that blank has long been on my list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    If you are referring to the PA Swimbait I have, it's a Gen I Jackall, and it is 7'0" and rated 3/8-2 oz
    Ah... Must have been replaced by the 7'4".
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

9. Member
    Yeppers, I believe there has been 2-3 generations of PA since this one. It also tosses a 3/8 oz JT95 very well and can launch a 1/2 oz Giant DogX, and walks both baits with excellent control and enough finesse as to not overpower them, so long as you use mono or line with some stretch.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Not at all...this Steez was made for finesse apps and lure weights in the 1/4-3/4 range. The rod is also more adept for 1/2-1 oz topwaters as it's not a true swimbait rod, it's more a heavy + crankbait type blank.

So yes, it was a complete surprise for me as I was tossing these size baits on much longer XH powered rods or the TKIC SUPER STALLION that I used to own, which was rated up to 3oz and has a noticeably more powerful backbone.

FWIW, the rod also handled a ~ 1.5 oz wood rat wake very well, granted the 7.9 EX gears in the Steez wouldn't be my first choice for cranking big wakes as it would likely wear out the gears prematurely.
    Got it! Thanks for the explanation.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Got it! Thanks for the explanation.
    All good...yes the "swimbait" moniker on the rod is a bit misleading for sure. And the Steez Limited 105 SV was built for mag-finesse with an extremely light spool and high speed aluminum gears.