New To This Questions

So I finally broke down and bought a great condition 2006 TR196 with the 200 EFI 3 liter for me and my son to fish out of. It’s still at the shop getting serviced and a jack plate installed. I like to do things right and want us to enjoy fishing without issues. So I have some questions and hoping you guys will take it easy on me lol. I was thinking about going ahead and switching out the batteries. Would ya recommend lithium all around, not at all, partially etc..? Also, what if anything are your must haves? We will be fishing for fun but also local club/ evening lake tournaments. Thank you in advance!

2. Member
    See if you can find date codes on batteries. I like to keep starting battery less than 4 year old.

3. Member
    EFI cannot use Lithium as a starting battery. I believe only lead acid are recommended.

4. Member
    Unless you're serious about long days on the water and fishing many tournaments, save yourself a lot of money and keep with your lead acids.
    A new lead acid 29 series from Walmart is about $100 and will last at least three years.
    One lithium is three times that much and not including a new $300 -$400 lithium charger.
    But if you can afford it and really want them, you wont at all be disappointed.

5. Member
    If current batteries have some age, 3 or more years, I'd change them. Start out with no issues I'm thinking. Ask some of the lithium manufacturers/retailers about the right battery for your boat.

No to lithium for starting I'm told.

Enjoy your boat
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

6. Member
    Thanks guys I appreciate the info!

You’ve got yourself a good boat and one of the best engines ever. Hop over to the Mercury 3 Liter forum here and take a look at some of the info there, particularly the sticky threads at the top. Good info.
    Hope you and your son enjoy it.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

8. Member
    No reason you can’t get 6-7 years out of lead acid batteries

9. Member
    I have the same boat and motor. I replaced the batteries when I bought mine 5 years ago. Still running them today. I use the DieHard batteries from Advance. Only things I've replaced on my motor is thermostats and spark plugs. Good luck!!
    2006 Triton Tr-196
    200 HP Mercury EFI
    Garmin electronics

10. DINK CATCHER
    If you can stomach the initial cost lithium has the potential to save you money over time. Keep a standard lead acid on that EFI though.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.