Seastar Steering Cylinder gurus step in please.

Went to bleed the air out of my steering system (which I have the hose kit for and have done before) because last trip out it was loose and when not “blocked” the motor “falls” to one side. Got the bleeder hoses hooked up and and a fresh bottle of seastar fluid hung to fill and purge. However, when i turn the wheel back and forth to bleed the air the motor does not move at all. Does this mean the center piston is bad and the cylinder has to be replaced? My end seals are not leaking at all. Thanks.
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    The piston seals inside the cylinder are bad or the helm pump is bad

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    The piston seals inside the cylinder are bad or the helm pump is bad
    If moving the steering wheel left and right is moving fluid through the hose on the front of the motor and drawing fluid from the bottle, should that not mean that the helm pump is ok? The motor itself is not moving left or right as I’m trying to purge the air by turning the wheel. Also there is no stop point on turning the wheel right or left.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    If moving the steering wheel left and right is moving fluid through the hose on the front of the motor and drawing fluid from the bottle, should that not mean that the helm pump is ok? The motor itself is not moving left or right as I’m trying to purge the air by turning the wheel. Also there is no stop point on turning the wheel right or left.
    Moving fluid and maintaining pressure are two different things. It may still turn but not sealing enough. I will say though the helm units rarely go bad and its most likely the cylinder.

5. Member
    Outboard should be down in operating position. You can bleed it that way. Wheel will keep spinning until you tighten bleeder nut. Then turn opposite direction and bleed again.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Outboard should be down in operating position. You can bleed it that way. Wheel will keep spinning until you tighten bleeder nut. Then turn opposite direction and bleed again.
    Yes sir. Motor down during the entire process. I got the replacement (end) seal kit and disassembled the cylinder. Come to discover as I suspected that the seal between the two plastic nuts in the center of the shaft is rolled up and it’s quite apparent that fluid was passing thru from one side to the other.

SO…..the next question would be is this seal (appears to be two part) replaceable? The plastic nuts that the seal is between resemble a thru hull fitting and appears that you could unscrew it from itself using two wrenches but am hesitant to do this until I know that’s the fix……..or is it?