200 ETEC Engine Support

Do I need to be running a transom saver instead of the built in ETEC motor support when trailering?

My 519 with 200 ETEC is going on 18 years old. I bought it from the original owner five years ago and asked him why he wasn't running a transom saver stating that he's always just used the flip down support with no problems so I've been doing the same since I've owned it. The transom is still solid as a rock as far as I can tell so . .. . is there any reason I should start using a saver at this point or just continue using the support as is?

IMG_5274.jpg IMG_5275.jpg
    Last edited by RangrSkipr; 03-12-2024 at 03:44 AM.

2. Member
    The Evinrude trailer bracket is all that you need.

3. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    The Evinrude trailer bracket is all that you need.
    Thank you. I know there are many opinions on the subject but I never liked the physical force workings of the transom saver anyway

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I ran my 225 HO for years like that.....when the 250 bracket broke I bought a Motor Mate and still rocking on....

5. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I ran my 225 HO for years like that.....when the 250 bracket broke I bought a Motor Mate and still rocking on....
    225 good. .. .250 broke??? Same style bracket? I'm sure it broke at a most inconvenient time. Are you recommending that I go with e motor mate?

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    225 good. .. .250 broke??? Same style bracket? I'm sure it broke at a most inconvenient time. Are you recommending that I go with e motor mate?
    Yes, the 250 is same bracket as the 225. The 250 was broke when I got it. Looks like shoulder bolts loosened and wallowed out the threads in swivel bracket. So I went with the MM. If your bracket is still good you can run it. As with any engine a constant check for loose bolts is a must.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=167123

^^^^. I made a post about this here on bbc in 2007. I ditched my transom saver 17 years ago and haven’t looked back. In 2014 I repower with a new motor and it’s never seen a transom saver.

8. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Yes, the 250 is same bracket as the 225. The 250 was broke when I got it. Looks like shoulder bolts loosened and wallowed out the threads in swivel bracket. So I went with the MM. If your bracket is still good you can run it. As with any engine a constant check for loose bolts is a must.
    Thank you for the clarification. Having had a career in aviation I can agree that a frequent quick or detailed visual inspection of anything mechanical can save a lot of money and heartache down the road.

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=167123

^^^^. I made a post about this here on bbc in 2007. I ditched my transom saver 17 years ago and haven’t looked back. In 2014 I repower with a new motor and it’s never seen a transom saver.
    Great idea! I do use over the counter rubber steering blocks on my motor but there is over a 3/8" gap on each side which doesn't sound like much, but its enough to allow the motor to oscillate from stop to stop going down the road quite a bit. I recently bought some rubber grommets same ID as the steering rod, split them and inserted them oversteering rods in the gaps. Haven't road tested them but its temporary at best I'm thinking. The motor does not move though. Your idea sounds like a better and more permanent custom solution to the problem. Thank you

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    Great idea! I do use over the counter rubber steering blocks on my motor but there is over a 3/8" gap on each side which doesn't sound like much, but its enough to allow the motor to oscillate from stop to stop going down the road quite a bit. I recently bought some rubber grommets same ID as the steering rod, split them and inserted them oversteering rods in the gaps. Haven't road tested them but its temporary at best I'm thinking. The motor does not move though. Your idea sounds like a better and more permanent custom solution to the problem. Thank you

The flip down bracket has been around on Evinrude/Johnson motors for around 30 years or so. I never understood why the concept did not catch on with other manufactures. Its 10X easier to keep up with steering clips verses a device to stow the motor. Obviously this method works well or it would not have been in production for all those years. The thing I like best is the speed and convenience. With a motor toter or a similiar device it takes up a decent amount of space to store while not in use. If I wanted I could store my clips in my pocket. Try that with a transom saver . As I said in my tip post from 2007 a easy place to store the clips is to raise the back deck lid and slide them on the lip and shut the deck lid. This is a simple place to store them that's only a arms reach away when you need them.

When making my clips I made a extra set for a spare and put them in my storage compartment just in case I ever lose one. One day at the ramp I had a guy come up and ask me how I stowed my motor. He was an Evinrude owner as well. I showed him my method and then we went to his boat and he used his flip down bracket. I got my extra clips and gave them to him and he was thrilled. When I got home I simply made another set. If you have the correct size PVC, a dremel and some sandpaper you can make a set in 30 minutes. Just remember cut small and work your way up. If you cut the slot too big your starting over.

FYI...I still carry a traditional transom saver behind my truck seat just in case my flip down bracket ever broke. Its never been installed on my current motor but I do carry it as a back up.