MEGA 360 VS 2D interference ?!

Hey all, I know this has been covered but I’m still struggling. I’m running quest with built in MSI xducer to solix gen 3… + 360 to a 2nd Solix Gen 3. All software is up to date.

No issues with trolling motor throttle… but the 2D/DI readings create the pinwheel streaks on the solix displaying 360. As soon as I turn the sonar off, it clears up immediately. I’ve tried all 6 noise rejection settings on the 360 solix to no avail. Any suggestions?

thanks as always.

If you have the MEGA 360 connected to one unit and the MSI transducer connected to another unit, that creates cross-talk.

To fix it, attach the MEGA 360 and MSI transducer to the same unit via the 14 M360 2DDI Y cable. When that is done, the sonar piezos are pinged in a sequence so cross-talk cannot happen.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Brilliant! Thankyou!!!

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Be aware that, if you use the Y Cable, you will no longer have the ability to do both SI and 360 mode at the same time as both of these are now coming from the Mega 360. The Y Cable replaces the trolling motor (or transom) SI signal with the SI signal from the Mega 360. You then have to switch back and forth between 360 mode and SI mode. It takes a few seconds to do that, as the 360 transducer has to stop spinning and then the software switches to SI mode. When going back to 360 mode, it reverses this process.

Personally, I like having both Mega 360 and SI at the same time so I have them connected to separate control heads and don't use the Y Cable. You can also control the crosstalk by using 455Khz on one and Mega on the other. If you want to use the same frequency on both, you can also change the CHIRP ranges on SI/DI/360 so they don't overlap.

If you don't use SI and 360 at the same time, then this won't be an issue for you, but I just wanted to be sure you were aware of how the Y Cable works.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Thx sly. This is v helpful as well!

6. Member
    Since the OP’s question seems to be resolved, I have a related question.

My in hull transom mounted SI transducer (that also includes MDI & 2D capability) is connected to the Solix at the helm while the Mega 360 is connected to one of two Solix at the bow so it seems that whether or not I use the Y cable to connect the Mega 360 and Ultrex’s 2D/MDI transducer to one of the bow units I’ll run the risk of crosstalk between the SI on the transom and Mega 360 at the bow unless pinging on one of two of those is off. Is that correct?

Additionally, assuming this setup is there any advantage to using the Y cable to connect the Ultrex’s MDI/2D and Mega 360 to one of two bow units rather than connecting each to a separate Solix; is there any crosstalk between the Ultrex mounted MDI/2D and 360?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
    Since the OP’s question seems to be resolved, I have a related question.

My in hull transom mounted SI transducer is connected to the Solix at the helm while the Mega 360 is connected to one of two Solix at the bow so it seems that whether or not I use the Y cable to connect the Mega 360 and Ultrex’s 2D/MDI transducer to one of the bow units I’ll run the risk of crosstalk between the SI and Mega 360 unless pinging on one of two of those is off. Is that correct?

Additionally, assuming this setup is there any advantage to using the Y cable to connect the Ultrex’s MDI/2D and Mega 360 to one of two bow units rather than connecting each to a separate Solix; is there any crosstalk between the Ultrex mounted MDI/2D and 360?
    Cross-talk happens when the sonar pulses overlap on the same frequency. The Imaging pulses are very thin front-to-back (inches). Between the bow and transom, that is less likely to occur.

It's SI/DI and 360 at the bow that is a sure thing. You eliminate that by using the Y cable and get SI from the MEGA 360 if needed at the bow or share SI to the bow from the console.

Read paragraph 2 in post #2.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Cross-talk happens when the sonar pulses overlap on the same frequency. The Imaging pulses are very thin front-to-back (inches). Between the bow and transom, that is less likely to occur.

It's SI/DI and 360 at the bow that is a sure thing. You eliminate that by using the Y cable and get SI from the MEGA 360 if needed at the bow or share SI to the bow from the console.

Read paragraph 2 in post #2.
    Gotcha, I think! So it’s the crosstalk with Mega frequencies in the DI and 360 transducers at the bow that gets eliminated with the Y cable when those two are connected to one of the Solix units vs connecting each transducer separately to their own head. The discussion above was focused more on SI and 360 which derailed my brain a bit….

9. Solix 10 Gen3 DI+/SI+
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you have the MEGA 360 connected to one unit and the MSI transducer connected to another unit, that creates cross-talk.

To fix it, attach the MEGA 360 and MSI transducer to the same unit via the 14 M360 2DDI Y cable. When that is done, the sonar piezos are pinged in a sequence so cross-talk cannot happen.
    Wayne - Is there a noise rejection for just the M360 on a Solix G3N? My M360 and the 2d XDUCER are connected by a Y cable to the unit. I have looked in settings and do. not see it.
    Solix 12 MSI+ Gen3 ; Solix 10 MSI+ Gen3; Mega 360

10. Solix 10 Gen3 DI+/SI+
    Wayne please disregard. I found it. It was stupidity on my part.
    Solix 12 MSI+ Gen3 ; Solix 10 MSI+ Gen3; Mega 360