Hub Kit 8M0101603 Install

2020 Pro XS Ser. #2B743128 with a 23P Tempest prop. I can't stop my prop nut from backing off with my stock hub 8M0183487 so before I spend the cash on a 8M0101603 hub kit I borrowed one from a friend who had an extra. How do you put this sucker in. I understand why it won't just slide in but do I need to take it to a machine shop to be pressed in or is there something I am missing here? I tried using a dead blow hammer to knock it in. I got it about halfway and stopped because it didn't feel like it was moving much at all. I took some measurements and a little more hammering and sure enough it had only moved .003. I knocked it back out. The rubber looked good, not cut or gouged. I couldn't see anything inside the prop to stop it from going in all the way. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by dls; 03-04-2024 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Left information out

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See the information in the SSR Hub Kits post, located in the FAQ Section. It specifically explains the proper way to torque these. You don't "hammer" them in, and probably won't borrow one as they're not easily removed without pressing them out.

SSR Hub Kits

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    See the information in the SSR Hub Kits post, located in the FAQ Section. It specifically explains the proper way to torque these. You don't "hammer" them in, and probably won't borrow one as they're not easily removed without pressing them out.

SSR Hub Kits
    Thanks Don, This was my bad!! I should have searched the FAQ section first.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No problem- that's why it's there (keeps us from typing it over and over and over and....)

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don: Since the SSR Hubs need to be pressed out, what if you need to change one on the water or in a hotel parking lot at night (speaking from experience after tickling a stump). I would hate to have to chase down a press in this case.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lancons23 View Post
    Don: Since the SSR Hubs need to be pressed out, what if you need to change one on the water or in a hotel parking lot at night (speaking from experience after tickling a stump). I would hate to have to chase down a press in this case.
    I would keep a spare HD solid hub with the Delrin strips that just slides in by hand. It can be used for prop testing and as a spare if you have to change props on the water. Let's see what Don recommends.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Additionally, if you have to change an SSR Hub Kit that's mentioned in this thread, the odds that you'll be reinstalling another hub kit and continuing your trip are NOT in your favor. That kit is quite durable, and it's backup is the metal housing, you would pretty much have to fail BOTH portions of the kit.

By that point you're probably going to be missing pieces and parts of other critical engine components.