Gloomis NRX Rod Model Comparison

I am board as can be and can't go through any more fishing tackle without buying a ton more. So I am taking a few minutes to help out folks who are thinking of buying a NRX rod and what the models I have are good for.

A quick side note. I live in the North East and fish mostly clear water lakes and rivers so my opinion may not carry over to your neck of the wood, but should help with insight on a purchase.

Here is the list with rods that I have settled on for NRX:

SPINNING RODS

821S NRR. 6'10" Just like it is named. Good for Neds. Also very good for drop shot and hover fishing. The tip is bit stiffer compared to the 822S DSR and more of a moderate bend to the rod than a fast tip.
    The blank loads the same as the 822S DSR and they almost are the same rod. Very subtle difference in the tip section only. Don't be fooled by the 1 power rating as it definitely a 2 power rod.

822S DSR. 6'10". Again just like the model is noted this is a drop shot rod. Excels at drop shot up to 1/2 oz. I have other rods that handle the 1/2 oz and up better but this can do it. 1/4 oz is about the low
    end for this rod but it can do 1/8 if needed. I have landed smallmouth and largemouth over six pounds on this rod so don't be afraid of the action. Plenty of power in this rod. I use braid to
    fluorocarbon leaders on all my spinning set ups. This one excels for me with 10lb YKG line and 4-6-or 8 fluorocarbon

852S JWR. 7'1". This is part of the Jig And Worm series. Without a doubt if you have to have just one spinning rods from the NRX line up this is it. Drop shot 1/4-5/8, tubes, Neds , shaky head, wacky
    rig, texas rig (small end). It can skip baits under and power to get them out. I have 4 of these rods and this model never leaves my deck. Fast tip but goes quickly to full power 20 inches into
    the blank. One of my favorite rods from the NRX line up. This rod can do it all.

872S JWR 7"3" It fishes the same as the 852S JWR with the exception that the extra length is all in the tip and makes for a little different action and feel for the baits. This rod usually comes out when I am
    looking for open water fish and I want some distance added for paddle tails like Keitechs in various sizes. Also excels for me with small size tubes for dragging them for sallies. Last thing is
    this makes a very good drop show rods in spotty week filled bays. Good power and as all NRX rods great sensitivity. Usually using a 3/8 0z weight on this rod for drop shot. This rod can do
    more like shaky head or wacky rig, Neko rig etc.... The length can add a challenge when trying to skip or in close quarters.

842S SJR 7' This one is my sleeper in my NRX lineup. It is very different than the JWR series of rods and mimics the actions more of the 822S DSR but with a little more length and a bit more power. This
    is my dedicated smallmouth slayer for uperstate NY fishing. I have only a year with the rod but it is quickly becoming my go to drop shot rod when I know I am fishing for bass over 3 pounds.
    Great power, more of a moderate than a fast tip but just right for what I am doing. A little soft for wacky rigs and Neko stuff but also works for keitechs, Neds, small tubes.

CASTING:

883C BJR 7'4" This supposed to be the ultimate bladed jig rod. Same your money boys there is a reason that they are for sale on BBC and other places. The most disappointing rods from the NRX lineup I
    have ever purchased. 3/8 is the max for this rod. It loads up so much on the back swing that I took a chunk of gelcoat off my boat with the first cast of this rod. I gave it a fair chance with
    over a year with it. I did catch fish and it keeps the fish buttoned but casting accuracy is out the window and who needs a $600 rod to throw a chatter bait (LOL)
    Moving on from this one.

873JWR 7'3" This is the Carolina Rig Rod and should change the name of this rod to more a do all work horse. It definitely is very good Carolina rig rod but also a very good jig rod in the 3/8 and 1/2 oz
    range. I also use it for light texas rigging up to 3/8. Just a good overall rod. Good balance and not tip heavy. Definitely not your average MH rod to use for moving style baits. Best for
    Bottom contact and heavier lines 12lb and up.

854C JWR. 7'1" Good all around rod. It is kind of a tweener between the 873C and 853C. Not as much power as the 873C but more than the 853C. I use this the one for my jig skipping rod. Just enough
    tip and good back bone. It is a little long for skipping but I make it work with better angles. Also good for larger paddles tails and a swim jig rod. I have also used this for light texas rigs up to
    1/2 oz

853C JWR 7'1" Very good all around MH rod from the NRX lineup. Can do just about everything you need on the lighter end of bottom contact. 3/8 jigs, Neko rigs, waky rigs, etc...
    This was and still is my go to chatter bait rod as well in the 3/8-1/2 oz range. Almost never lose a fish on a chatter bait with this rod. Also my go to rod for Zara Spooks.
    Versitle on the low end of weights but a very good multi purpose rod.

802C JWR. 6' 8". Medium action rod. Use this one for small spinnerbaits, jerk baits, buzz baits and cranks etc. More of niche rod for me and sees more action in the spring than the rest of year.
    Mostly due to the jerk bait season. I have only had this rod for a year now and just starting to figure out it's uses. A very good Medium action rod. Obviously you can get a medium action
    rod like this much cheaper from other brands. But if you got to have it. A very good all around light action rod.

Hopefully this helps someone with a future purchase as we all know the models with the various power rating such as 1-5 vary greatly from rod to rod in the line up. All 2 powers are not the same etc......
    I purposely didn't note the + or non plus rods. The actions are so close I tried not make this more confusing. Get the + when you can but the non plus works just as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

2. Member
    Nice report,Jeff
    Red Sox in 6!

3. Member
    This is great thank you!! I appreciate your insight. Love my 852s and have 2 of them! The 802c does well with close quarters weightless senkos as well.

4. Member
    I have or had most of the rods you mentioned especially the spinning models. Really like the 821S fun rod for me throwing little grubs and paddle tails for white bass/crappie also. I love the 852S I have 2 of them and a 852C as well my favorite rods I own and use them in all the ways you mentioned. 853C/843C get all my TX rig, 3/8 under jig, 3/8 chatterbait, and 3.3/3.8 paddle tail work

How does the NRX 842S and Conquest 842S compare in your opinion Jeff? I bought your Conquest 842S on here about 2 years or so ago and ended up getting another of it as well really like that rod for lots of techniques.
    Last edited by WPrich; 01-13-2024 at 02:26 PM.

5. Member
    Nice, I assume these are the latest models?

I have the original NRX rods only but the 894, 893 and 803 are my favorites. all plastic applications of various types. I bought the 894's for a jig originally but now fishing Florida it is my standard T-rig rod with braid in moderate cover. The 893 has replaced my 803's as my light plastics with FC line. The 803c will always have a place in my heart from a decade of that being my t-rig rod in mid-west fishing.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by WPrich View Post
    I have or had most of the rods you mentioned especially the spinning models. Really like the 821S fun rod for me throwing little grubs and paddle tails for white bass/crappie also. I love the 852S I have 2 of them and a 852C as well my favorite rods I own and use them in all the ways you mentioned. 853C/843C get all my TX rig, 3/8 under jig, 3/8 chatterbait, and 3.3/3.8 paddle tail work

How does the NRX 842S and Conquest 842S compare in your opinion Jeff? I bought your Conquest 842S on here about 2 years or so ago and ended up getting another of it as well really like that rod for lots of techniques.
    That 842S Conquest is what made me get the NRX 842S After I sold it to you I realized what a great drop shot rod that would make
    For me the 821 and 822 both fish just about the same

Hope that Conquest has been good to you. A great rod.

7. Member
    Nice Report Jeff …especially for us Northeast fishermen.
    My only question is if your referring to the newer NRX + line? As the new + line definitely fishes 1/2 power up.
    The one rod I wouldn’t agree on is the 854 , now it could be because your comparing a previous gen 854 ?
    I find the 854 NRX+ a bit more powerful than the 873.
    Now it could be because to tip action is much faster than the 873 , but I do find it more powerful overall.
    Great info here !
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

8. Member
    Yup. Nrx+ 854 fishes almost a half power more than the non + version.
    I've fished the nrx822 dsr for 12 years. I find it's sweet spot is 3/16 oz. I've tried up to 1/2 oz, but at that weight it's too much of a wet noodle. Maybe the plus version could handle a 1/2 oz.

I tried not to get into the minutiae of the + and the non + versions. They are close but as stated the + NRX are a little more powerful than the non +

10. Member
    They blank actions definitely changed a bit with the + spiral wrap.
    I own an 854+ and that rod is a hammer.
    I use it around here for big worms and 1/2 ounce jigs
    The 873 + is absolutely incredible for us up here ….
    Im thinking of selling my 844+ and getting another 873+
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    How does the 844 and 854 compare in your opinion? I bought a 844 last year but was deciding between those 2 models and went with 844 at the time. I felt 844 would be the more versatile of the 2 and it's my only "heavy" rod.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    I have over 2 dozen NRX and Conquests, a few duplicates but have 4 of the +854's. Probably my favorite rod in the lineup as I flip and pitch a lot and the lakes by me are all heavy cover and no grass.