Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Local Fishing Shows From Long Ago

I remember The Harry Stressel Show from the seventies when I first got interested in bass fishing seriously.
    He was a local that came up with a show catching bass in mill foil on Lake G with Cordell Spots and frogs. His show was a pioneer in ripping grass with blades on Lake Guntersville. He also did a lot on Tim’s Ford catching stripper. Tragically when its show had its run he hung out in local pool halls trying to hustle. Unfortunately he ended up homeless. Sadly I can’t find any old videos of his show to post . Only this sad obituary.
    https://obits.al.com/us/obituaries/h...ary?id=9757637

Does anyone else remember a local fishing show from long ago?
    Last edited by geodebasser; 08-12-2023 at 04:38 PM.

Joe Krieger, and his partner Wanda Scott. They never caught a fish that didn't go in the cooler.

Fishing with Brett Winkler. Not the greatest host but he fished all the local lakes which kept the show interesting. All small fish were "fun size".
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

4. Member
    Poor Man’s Fishing out if Birmingham. Host fished for bream mostly. Was a good show.

5. Member
    I used to watch The Southern Sportsman on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Can't remember..
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

I filmed a couple of shows with Franc White back in the 70’s.He would shoot the show in 8 millimeter and narrate the show in his studio.

There was a guy out of Okc name Don something that I would watch about the same time as Joe and Wanda..

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santee bass View Post
    I filmed a couple of shows with Franc White back in the 70’s.

Just listening to the background music takes me back!
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    There was a guy out of Okc name Don something that I would watch about the same time as Joe and Wanda..
    Don Wallace..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    Joe Krieger, and his partner Wanda Scott. They never caught a fish that didn't go in the cooler.
    Joe would pull his boat with a Lincoln or a Caddy to the lake..

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Harold Endsley? Saw some rods in the bargain bin years ago with his name on them.

12. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Joe and Wanda fished for a lot of crappie and even some catfish.. They launched out of our marina many times.. Wanda caught the biggest LM I have seen personally out of this lake to date.. It weighed 9lb 9oz I believe, something like that, it was over 30 years ago and I've slept since then ,,, and oh yea, it went back in the water...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

When I lived in CA, I remember Mike Reynolds had a tv show fishing the motherlode lakes. As a kid I thought it was cool seeing a show on the lakes I fished because at that time all the other shows were from back east. Don’t remember the name of his show.

They loved to catch sandies or stripers on a Bill Norman Pearl White with Red or Blues eyes.. and in the ice box they go..

15. Member
    Kentucky Afield here, been on the air since 1953. Combination of fishing, hunting, cooking along with statewide fishing and hunting reports.

16. Member
    Bill Said (spl ?) Outdoors.I think he was in New York watched him when I was a kid

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    They loved to catch sandies or stripers on a Bill Norman Pearl White with Red or Blues eyes.. and in the ice box they go..
    Joe always said " they all count one" that was ALONG TIME AGO!!!

18. Member
    I'd say Bob Izumi, but that would be to pull his chain, he ain't "that" old! ��

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    Kentucky Afield here, been on the air since 1953. Combination of fishing, hunting, cooking along with statewide fishing and hunting reports.
    Some more info. https://fw.ky.gov/Kentucky-Afield/Pages/Television.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    I used to watch The Southern Sportsman on Saturday or Sunday mornings. Can't remember..
    I remember that one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast