Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin Livescope Dewalt Vs Miluakee

I’m about to order the Sealite and some 9-12 ah batteries to solve my livescope power issues.

I have 2 questions:

1) has anyone run both Dewalt and Miluakee and can comment on any difference re livescope performance? I’ve got Dewalt tools so prefer to purchase more Dewalt batteries

2) Has anyone had any issues using the “Flexvolt” batteries? I understand that there is a switch inside to keep them running parallel/series in order to supply the right voltage…but I don’t know how well it works?

Thanks

2. Banned
    I run the Milwaukee setup on my Livescope and had zero problems with it. My buddy runs the same with DeWalt's and says the same with his rig.

I bought 9AH batteries off Amazon, a Milwaukee knockoff and paid about $150 for 2 of them. Never had to change batteries out due to discharging when on the water. I highly recommend this setup for a number of reasons.

3. Member
    How long does say a Dewalt or Milwaukee a battery last with livescope running?

4. Banned
    I use Milwaukee setup.. I have 3 batteries that I use.. I can get 4 to 6 hours out of one battery.. I run livescope and my 106sv on that setup. The reason I have 3 batteries it is easy to change them out. Mine are 18v batteries..

5. Member
    I have been seeing this line of questioning several times. Why are you guys using separate power for LS? Is the interference too much for the filtering in the system or is it just to make the hookup simpler? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Banned
    This is what I use.. hook it up to livescope with a battery in it. I had a lot of interference with my ultrex but once I went the garmin force I have none. To me it is easier and I don't have to add a heavy battery. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

7. Member
    Did you get the original one or the new injection molded one. New is less money and claims to be much stronger and outdoor friendly. Same company produced it. Bob

8. Banned
    No I went with the older one.. I did not see that there was a newer version.

9. Member
    Oh I have two 9ah batteries for milwaukee, i may just have to buy me one of these :) Livescope here i come ;)
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

I run mine off my 36v system then use buck modules to reduce voltage to highest recommended voltage for each.

11. Member
    I thought the idea of the separate battery was to avoid the electrical noise from the trolling motor. Seems like using that power would not be good.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    If your willing to spend $210 then I would go with an Amped Outdoors 30ah and 3 amp charger. Its seven pounds and if it were totally dead it would recharge in 10 hours. I would get the tall version if mounting in a boat because it has terminals you screw a bolt into. I have done a lot of research and found several good reviews on this product. This is what ice fishermen are using on portable units on all day trips. I have read where people can get in two normal days of fishing or one really long day of fishing on a single charge. Yes this cost a few more $ that what you have planned but IMO its worth the extra cost.

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collection...ize-and-weight

If done properly minimal noise will reach unit. A low output noise filter at the buck module then the supplied magnets at connections. Works awesome have plenty of reserve power.

15. Member
    Have you looked at the sonar return with all that filtering? Better to filter the noise than the sonar signal. I am thinking the Garmin engineers have looked into it as well. JMO Bob
    I posted this on the wrong thread. SORRY. As long as you are under the stated max that is fine. I don't know the possible downsides of your module. I am not an electrical engineer.
    I just use what the MFR recommends. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 12-01-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Only filter you need is on line power from battery. Then use buck module to reduce power to desired voltage. No need to filter anything on the transducer. I would rubber mount it though. That will absorb some boat vibrations.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If your willing to spend $210 then I would go with an Amped Outdoors 30ah and 3 amp charger. Its seven pounds and if it were totally dead it would recharge in 10 hours. I would get the tall version if mounting in a boat because it has terminals you screw a bolt into. I have done a lot of research and found several good reviews on this product. This is what ice fishermen are using on portable units on all day trips. I have read where people can get in two normal days of fishing or one really long day of fishing on a single charge. Yes this cost a few more $ that what you have planned but IMO its worth the extra cost.

This is how guys are using them ice fishing. Makes a simple and portable battery pack
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Only issue I have with that route is it's only 12 volts. Yes it will run fine, but the unit shuts off at 10v. My thinking was I'll have a 36v supply reduce the power to maximum unit voltage. It will perform better, and have power for days. Either way it works both are great options.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post

This is the same decision I arrived at after trying the drill battery setup. The charger is so small it does not impact regular storage in the locker and it’s power cord is hooked to the onboard charger power cord so it operates anytime the other batteries are charging.
    The 93SV and the LiveScope module are hooked to the 30AH battery and I have fished as long as 12 hours without a noticeable voltage drop.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    This is the same decision I arrived at after trying the drill battery setup. The charger is so small it does not impact regular storage in the locker and it’s power cord is hooked to the onboard charger power cord so it operates anytime the other batteries are charging.
    The 93SV and the LiveScope module are hooked to the 30AH battery and I have fished as long as 12 hours without a noticeable voltage drop.

The post you recently made heavily influenced me in my decision to go this route. When doing research I instantly throw out reviews from sponsored people or a business and look for the common Joe who pays for product out of their pocket and has zero to gain buy giving a review. I found a couple other replies about the same set up as yours and they were positive as well so that sealed the deal for me to go this route. I'm almost done buying Christmas gifts. As soon as I'm done I think I'll include this to myself as a late minute gift. If ordering with a charger it comes with with a 3 amp charger. I thinking about ordering the battery only then getting the 10 amp charger separate. What's your thoughts on the 3 amp verses the 10 amp charger. Weight will not be an issue. I plain on wiring mine a tad bit different than your set up. I'm going with a quick disconnect plug for the charger. I will also attach a quick disconnect plug on my cord that goes to the head unit and black box. When not in use I leave everything unplugged. When charging the battery I simply plug in the charger and when powering the unit I simply plug in the wire going to the head unit and black box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast