G Loomis rod applications

I just bought an older GLX MBR 844C rod. I'm planning on using it for pitching T-Rigs and 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs. Any other applications this particular rod is really good at?

2. Member
    Pretty much any single hook bait. That's one extremely versatile stick

3. Member
    I have one as well. It gets used for 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs, various swim jigs, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits. It also does good with bigger walk the dog style top eaters like Vixens or Spooks.

4. Member
    I’m a fan of these rods for jigs and wobble heads. Just wish they made this action with a split grip glx handle.

5. Member
    I have a couple and use them for 1/2 jigs, larger spinnerbaits and frogs in the slop.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    Pretty much any single hook bait. That's one extremely versatile stick
    One of the most versatile I have!

7. Member
    3/8 - 1/2oz flip/pitch jigs, 5/16 - 3/8 oz texas rigs, wobble heads, 5/8oz - 3/4 oz football jigs... Not the best reaction bait - spinnerbait, topwater rod. Too stiff not a ton of tip.

8. Member
    That is a money big spinnerbait rod. IMO best and most versatile rod Loomis makes esp. the old style.

9. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. My previous pitching rod wasn't as versatile as this rod appears to be, so that'll be a big plus since I don't have 10-20+ rods like a lot of guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    I have a couple and use them for 1/2 jigs, larger spinnerbaits and frogs in the slop.
    Frog fishing with an 844 MBR... hmm haven't though of that, but interested. What line are you using here?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Frog fishing with an 844 MBR... hmm haven't though of that, but interested. What line are you using here?
    I fish frogs on an 843 with 50lb. Never felt underpowered, and it's less tiring than all the heavy "frog" rods.

Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I fish frogs on an 843 with 50lb. Never felt underpowered, and it's less tiring than all the heavy "frog" rods.
    I just spooled a spare TD-Z with 40lb SX1 to give it a try on my 844. I'd always gone big on Frog Rods, ie Dobyns 736 and lately using my 916 as a flip/punch/frogging setup, but it was a pain to swap around from frogging to punching setup and vice versa. I think this would work better, leave the 916 setup for punching and flipping and the 844 with braid can handle the frogs, and can still throw jigs or big spinners with it on braid as well. I've got plenty of FX2 60lb as well, but it's just so noisy lol. I've been wanting to try Daiwa Samurai, reportedly a very quiet braid, but that's the problem with braid, it just lasts so damn long lol.

13. Member
    The 844 will be a good frog rod. I like the little softer tip of the 843 for waking. It's also the rod I throw Spooks with.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I use 50 lb suffix braid.

15. Member
    You just bought one hell of a rod. Excellent all purpose rod.