New Z519 Questions

Actually it’s about my connection to my trailer. Have a new z519 on its way. Single axle trailer.

Current 2017 highlander has the tow package with the flat 4 pin connector. Do believe my new rangertrail comes with a 7 pin.

Couple of questions.

What do I need to connect the 4 pin to the 7 pin? I see an adapter I can use that connects to the flat 4 pin connector but has 3 additional wires to connect. Where and what do I connect these extra wires to?

4 to 7 connector found here:
    https://www.etrailer.com/p-30717.html

or this straight adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C79CSF2...c-17e2d0adc68e

Do I need to ensure any additional connection to the trailer beyond what is through the 4 prong connector? Such as a wire that is activated by back up lights that releases the brakes when in reverse?

I will be backing up my boat up an incline into my garage so I want to make sure the brakes don’t activate as I push it uphill.

Insights would be a huge help.
    Last edited by BoilermakerRT178; 01-13-2019 at 12:10 AM.

You're going to need the reverse light pin on your truck plug in order to activate the trailer brake lockout solenoid, as well as to light the backup lights on the trailer. That means 5-pins, not the 4 that you currently have.

Your best bet is to just install, or have installed, a round 7-pin plug on your tow vehicle, and not worry about any adapters.

Your boat trailer will not require 7 pins connected, though; only 5. You will not need auxillary power, nor the blue trailer brake wire, as you have surge brakes, not electric brakes.

3. Member
    That advice is spot on.

4. Member
    My wife has a 2017 highlander, and while it's a very capable vehicle, I wouldn't feel safe towing a 519 with it. Is this your only option?

5. Member
    Hey thanks for all replies. I think I will be needing to splice into the wire that feeds to my brake lights and connect to the purple wire on the connector.

Shouldn’t be too terribly difficult?

M1RT. Yep this is my only option for towing. I have a friend w an Acura MDX (similar SUV) that tows a 1850 Reata essentially a multi species boat w similar weight. Seems to tow w pretty well?

Would a a bigger truck be better? Yes. But based on this experience I’m hoping I will be ok. Open to more thoughts.

6. Member
    No you don’t tap into your brake lights for the 5th pin you need to tap into your reverse lights if I remember correctly. It’s probably easier to go ahead and have a 7 pin connector installed on your tow vehicle

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    Would a a bigger truck be better? Yes. But based on this experience I’m hoping I will be ok. Open to more thoughts.
    Assuming your Highlander has a V6...... The total package weight you are towing, is approaching 3500-3800 lbs. Looks like the new Highlanders are rated for 5000, so you are right on the cusp of being in trouble.

I started out towing my Z519 with a 2002 GMC Envoy (4.2 V6) and it did fine. Wasn't really happy passing or going up hill. Was a bit of a concern going up wet and sloppy ramps. Envoy is more of a truck than a Highlander. I added overload shocks to stiffen up the ride. Won't take you long to figure out if your SUV is overmatched...... look on the bright side (as I did), you have the Ranger which is the important part of the equation, if the Highlander is struggling, you can work on an upgrade later.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

8. Member
    Yes reverse lights is what I meant and thank you for all of the feedback. Will definitely be keeping an eye on the highlander.

9. Member
    The straight adapter you have linked is not what you want. It is the male end and is for if you have a 4 pin on your trailer and a 7 pin on your truck. I actually had one of those for the old boat and they work perfectly if that is what you need.

The 4 to 7 pin adapter is what you need. By ordering that and doing some simple wiring, your truck will be set up to tow your new boat.

I wouldn’t go out and say you’re on the cusp of being in trouble but I will say you may wish you had a little more power. The highlander should tow your boat fine in regular scenarios but you may run into issues going up hill though as the final gear ratio seems to be at like 3.00:1 and your horsepower and torque ratings are not exactly what I would be looking for.

I have a 119 and tow with Sierra 1500. It doesn’t have an issue towing but I know that there are better options out there.