Livewell open/close lever stiff

My 2024 Skeeter ZXR livewell lever has gotten very stiff. Have tried to spray some silicone lubricant on the lever in the bilge but that has not helped much. I'm concerned that I might break it if pushing too hard on it. Any other suggestions?

Make sure it is not being restricted down in the bilge where it connects. A buddy with a Skeeter just had that happen to him, there was a hose laying on it.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    Cable is pinched, in a bind, or failing. Lubricating at the lever won’t do anything. Now is the time to get it corrected through warranty. A new cable will solve it.

Now Skeeter is notorious for leaving a lot of junk in the bilge and things could get caught in pumps and such. Not sure where the drain flaps are located though. If they are on the floor of the bilge, this could be a possibility.

4. Member
    You should be able to disconnect the cable then operate the valve manually,then operate the switch. My guess is cable in a bind due to settling after it was all put in. If that is it you may be able to reposition the cable. Good luck
    Wes

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    Cable is pinched, in a bind, or failing. Lubricating at the lever won’t do anything. Now is the time to get it corrected through warranty. A new cable will solve it.

Now Skeeter is notorious for leaving a lot of junk in the bilge and things could get caught in pumps and such. Not sure where the drain flaps are located though. If they are on the floor of the bilge, this could be a possibility.
    There are no external flaps.. there is a round valve with rubber flaps inside that rotate when you turn the handle. You can easily remove the valve and take it apart. Grease the rubber inside it with marine grease. The valves don't lay in bottom, they are up off there floor of the bilge and attached to the hose (hoses, if and fxr) coming in the back of the boat. The cable is easy to replace, if needed.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeypro View Post
    There are no external flaps.. there is a round valve with rubber flaps inside that rotate when you turn the handle. You can easily remove the valve and take it apart. Grease the rubber inside it with marine grease. The valves don't lay in bottom, they are up off there floor of the bilge and attached to the hose (hoses, if and fxr) coming in the back of the boat. The cable is easy to replace, if needed.

I haven’t looked at my current FXR, but my past boats usually had the flap housing on the floor of the bilge right before the plumbing led out to the drains/intake. I’m pretty sure those holes are still in the same location (either side of the boat drain plug). That’s the housing I was referring to. If it still is installed on the floor (or near it), I believe the cable lever attached to it is exposed. That’s where I thought the “Skeeter bilge trash” could get caught up. Something changed since he got the boat (I got the impression this just started to happen).

7. Member
    Yes, something has changed in the last few outings. Talked to Skeeter dealer and they think cable has developed a kink in it and needs to be replaced.

8. Member
    Mine was stiff and then cable failed, livewell valve would only partially close. While troubleshooting, I found the issue close to the operating switch by gearshift. Outer plastic cable sleeve broke allowing slack. Temporarily until I put it in shop I open rear compartment and manually close valve down in bilge.

9. Member
    Mine is doing the same thing. Works sometimes other times I have to manually push it in the last little bit.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA