Poppet Valve leaking after total replacement.... Looking for help on this.

2004 175 DFI Model 1175D83CY - Serial 0T972330 System Smartcarft ECM

The title says it all. The poppet valve is leaking from the pressure release hole (or whatever you want to call it... it is not a weeping hole). I replaced EVERYTHING. OEM parts, cleaned everything, looked for rust or anything that could cause bad seating of the diaphragm. The gaskets are made of cork... not a fan but ok. Good torque on all bolts. The leak increases with RPM. No leaks anywhere else. I am stumped...any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    screw in center tight ??? on plunger seat fully seated in block
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Yes, thank you. I made sure the screw is well seated. Also, I read that the plastic washer over the diaphragm can get cupped. This is a new one, nice and flat. Why would they use plastic instead of SS I do not know. Maybe there is a good reason.
    I took a small wire brush and cleaned the plates and engine block as best as I could. No pits, no rust, looks good and flat. On that note, I have a 8x10 glass sheet and laid the metal plates on it to check for warp. Also flat... both plates.
    I have decided I am going after the gaskets. Those cork gaskets seem thick to me. When I seat the valve on the motor, without the cover and with the cork gasket against the motor, the valve barely presses against the rubber seat. My simple mind tells me, that defeats the purpose. I am going to get gasket material and make my own......

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't alter the gaskets. They work perfectly well, and are designed to become thinner with proper torque applied to the screws.

Completely disassemble the poppet, spring, diaphragm and washer. Reinstall and make sure the screw is TIGHT so that the diaphragm seals to the end of the poppet valve (otherwise it WILL LEAK from the weep holes).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Finally had a chance to get into it before I read this thread. Please tell me what is the proper torque for the poppet valve. The Service manual says 150 lb. in. Still had the problem. I changed the gaskets with two I made myself from a thinner gasket material... it stopped the leaking. We took the boat to the coast and ran it for over three hours. No leaks. So....what did I miss...? Thanks in advance.

in lbs not ft lbs
    Thank You Leon Pugh