Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Quest or Ghost to replace my Old Ultrex???

I own an original series Ultrex and have absolutely loved it. However it's got some sensor issues and other things going array. Not sure I wanna start changing parts here and there for couple hundred a pop and it become a money pit. So I've decided to upgrade.

looking at the New Quest or Ghost

leaning Quest because I've been so happy with my Ultrex. Anyone got true insight on one or both?

I run a Lowrance and a bird at the front.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

2. BBC SPONSOR
    There's no wrong answer so to speak, If I were making that decision I would go Quest. We have sold several Quest motors and so far everyone has raved about them. The Ghost is a great motor as well. IMO, it would come down to which one you run sonar with on the front. The Ghost with 3n1 Nosecone is really clear for what it is. So it the Quest.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

3. Member
    Just went from the Ghost to the Power Pole Move and it’s the best trolling motor that I have used in 50 years. It’s more expensive but worth it to me. I was never wowed by the Ghost as it got more noisy over the four years of use. I would buy the Minn Kota Quest over the Ghost

I think it depends more on how you use your electronics tbh... I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the big 3 now... well 4 I guess with PP. I would say whichever you do mapping and waypoints, etc with - go with that brand.

5. Member
    I would go with the Quest also. I think it integrates well into the One Boat Network app as well.

6. Member
    I have all Lowrance on my boat for MFD's (4-12" live/Pro units). But I run an Ultrex and plan on running a Quest over the Ghost when I upgrade. I don't care for the Ghost and I don't think the decision should be made solely on what MFD's you run. The "1 boat network" is a marketing ploy...Get what works for you best not for a corporation.

7. Member
    +1 on the Quest

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I have all Lowrance on my boat for MFD's (4-12" live/Pro units). But I run an Ultrex and plan on running a Quest over the Ghost when I upgrade. I don't care for the Ghost and I don't think the decision should be made solely on what MFD's you run. The "1 boat network" is a marketing ploy...Get what works for you best not for a corporation.
    I somewhat disagree with this - while in some cases it may be overrated - by picking the correct motor to interface with the MFD you use for mapping, waypoints, etc will give you the ability to use tools like target lock, orbit, navigate to waypoint, follow contour lines, follow depth range, autopilot options, etc. If none of those are of any interest to you then yeah pick any one.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I somewhat disagree with this - while in some cases it may be overrated - by picking the correct motor to interface with the MFD you use for mapping, waypoints, etc will give you the ability to use tools like target lock, orbit, navigate to waypoint, follow contour lines, follow depth range, autopilot options, etc. If none of those are of any interest to you then yeah pick any one.
    You made my point

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    You made my point
    I don't see how, seems like we are on opposite sides of the fence. If I didn't want to take advantage of all technology and gps offers today I would likely just by the cheapest non-gps motorguide and be done with it. But I couldn't imagine spending $3500 plus on a TM and not take advantage of all the latest features available today by linking it with an MFD in some way.

More features with the Quest and I’ve never heard an Ultrex make noises like some Ghost motors have

I’ve seen a couple BASS events that has had a Ghost making all kinds of noise and if they can’t get it fixed for a big event like that I’m sure they will get to you real quick
    "The handicapped angler"

12. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I went from an Ultrex to a Ghost, loved the Ultrex but you couldn't get me to go back. I've not got to use the Quest but can't imagine it hasn't closed the gap with why I prefer the Ghost. Well except integration with my Lowrance graphs.

13. Member
    Quest all day. Not a huge fan of the ghost

14. Member
    Ghost is really noisy !

15. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Curious on the quest, does it self center when you stow it, will it integrate with your Lowrance graphs, does it still have the "touchy" foot pad like the Ultrex, and did they add a cable hook to grab the cable when you stow it? These are the reason I went from an Ultrex to the Ghost. I've always had a MK but again this is just better, but I've not used a Quest so maybe they've added all the features that make the Ghost better.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper920 View Post
    Ghost is really noisy !
    Where is the noise coming from on your Ghost - ie the head, mount, steering, motor, etc? My Ghost is not noisy at all, and haven't really seen many complaints about Ghost being noisy?

17. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I had mine dropped completely down on the shaft and it was making some racket when turning, etc.. I asked Lowrance and they said move it up the shaft some and that took care of it. One other improvement over my Ultrex is MUCH BETTER calm water spot locking with much less "searching". In addition I suppose because it is brushless it uses way less battery to run all day and it is faster than my Ultrex was even with the boat being heavier now (721 VS 921).

Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    Curious on the quest, does it self center when you stow it, will it integrate with your Lowrance graphs, does it still have the "touchy" foot pad like the Ultrex, and did they add a cable hook to grab the cable when you stow it? These are the reason I went from an Ultrex to the Ghost. I've always had a MK but again this is just better, but I've not used a Quest so maybe they've added all the features that make the Ghost better.
    Yes the Quest auto turns to stow and self-centers when deployed

Never heard about a touchy pedal

Not to mention the quest has a lot of features the ghost doesn’t
    Follow Contour
    Follow Shore Line
    Circle Mode
    Drift Mode
    heading adjustment or 5 degrees at a time

Plus it puts a heading projection line on your chart to show you where you will end up on that heading – even garmin force doesn’t have that

AND last but not least I've never heard an Ultrex sound like Jake Whitakers Ghost on Chickamauga
    Watch and pay attention to when he works the trolling motor
    From 48:52 -to- 57:10 and 4:30:32 -to- 4:35:15

Last edited by MichAngler; 11-29-2023 at 08:52 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

19. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I figured they'd add features since they were the old shoe with the Ultrex. They were the only game in town with the Ultrex but got passed by the crowd as newer offerings came available. I've been using my Ghost for over 2-years and Ive never heard that noise. One day I'll get my foot on a Quest and see how it is. I'm 100% sure the Ghost is better than my Ultrex.

20. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    I figured they'd add features since they were the old shoe with the Ultrex. They were the only game in town with the Ultrex but got passed by the crowd as newer offerings came available. I've been using my Ghost for over 2-years and Ive never heard that noise. One day I'll get my foot on a Quest and see how it is. I'm 100% sure the Ghost is better than my Ultrex.
    Yup, now that we have other options out I doubt I'd choose the Ultrex over what's out now unless I was going by price alone. I've never been thrilled about how noisy the steering is on the Ultrex but it's been reliable over the past 5 years or so. At the time it was better than sliced bread compared to the other spot lock motors.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast