Fishing Sitting Down at the Bow

I'm to the point in my life (now 74) that if I want to continue to fish I need to do it sitting down. I've experimented a little with different poles and different seats but working the foot peddle is just extremely awkward.
    I'm sure there are other old pharts on these boards who have faced similar issues. How did you manage?
    I fish solo so back seat is not an option. Thanks

2. Member
    Find a fold down seat that is comfortable, then find a seat post length that will let your feet be flat on the deck.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Find a fold down seat that is comfortable, then find a seat post length that will let your feet be flat on the deck.
    this^
    I added a seat post pedestal (My rig has the 3/4" pin) and mounted upside down in front of the passenger side in the back of the front deck. This way I remove my seat from the post and set it in the rear post pedestal to give me better view when driving. There where threads on boat seats in either the Lounge or General BB topics
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    I have a shorter pedestal post for the front which allows me to sit on it enough to take most of my weight off and better balance when its a little rough. But sometimes it get to unbearable
    When that happens just take a break for awhile. Age 65. I know were you coming from.

I have a Minn Kota Ultrex trolling motor that can be controlled with a mini remote control that I keep in a pocket on my inflatable PFD. I can control the TM from anywhere on the boat. If you don't want to go complete sit down you might try a Millennium butt seat. They also make very nice sit down seats with and without a back. I've sometime considers going sit down myself.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1240832

https://millennium-outdoors.com/mill...ne/boat-seats/
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

My Ranger has two positions for the bow seat post. The one furtherest from the trolling motor works sitting. I can use a regular seat, or a bike seat. The one closest to the trolling motor is better standing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post

Yep! I'm old enough to remember when everyone including the pros fished sitting in a fold down seat! What goes around comes around!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Since I switched to an Ultrex, I fish anywhere on the boat. In rough water fishing ledges I fish down on the cockpit floor. When fishing alone, I put a butt seat at the back and full seat at the bow and alternate as my back prefers.

If you have an opportunity to try an Ulterra, the pedal is much flatter. A trolling motor pedal tray can also make it much easier.

A guy fishing alone who was surely in his mid-80s told me at a boat ramp a couple years ago “When you stop doing, you start dying.” I’m following his advice and adjusting as I age.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    Yep! I'm old enough to remember when everyone including the pros fished sitting in a fold down seat! What goes around comes around!
    I remember the early 70's where everyone sat and fished. The boats back then were designed to be fished out of by sitting. Butt seats showed up in the late 70's and the majority of fisherman were standing in the 80's.

At 68, I suspect that I will go back to sitting within the next 10 years.

I am 57 but have had back surgery in 2016 . So I need to sit time to time, I ordered a new butt seat from Ranger a 2017 model in my colors which is wider and thicker more padding than my original 2001 butt seat , helped out a lot.
    I remember years ago seeing Bill Dance with a sit down seat on front deck with a seat post with a dog leg in it so when he would swivel it would get him closer to trolling motor and the gunwell, I thought that was kinda cool.
    Just a thought, hopefully you find something that works for you.
    Tight Lines
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

11. Member
    I would second that millennium butt seat suggestion. My 80+ yr old father fishes out of the back of my boat and can straddle that seat if it gets wavy. I use it in the summer fishing alone when it’s rough too. It’s a good compromise if you don’t want to go all the way to a fold down seat.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    I remember the early 70's where everyone sat and fished. The boats back then were designed to be fished out of by sitting. Butt seats showed up in the late 70's and the majority of fisherman were standing in the 80's.

At 68, I suspect that I will go back to sitting within the next 10 years.
    I think people started standing when Dee Thomas started winning a lot of tournaments with his "flippin'" technique.

I had to start using a chair the first of the year. I used the factory sit down seat in the first pedestal hole. I found that I couldn’t fish all day like I used to. Went to the doc in July. Long story short, they filleted my chest and re-plumbed my pumper. I went fishing Tuesday for the first time since July and was able to stand up and chunk 10XD’s just like use to. I don’t recommend my method of delaying using the chair, lol.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

14. Member
    Due to back and balance problems I have switched to 100% sitting. I have a "Bill Dance" seat post and love it. Helps a lot on an 18' boat.
    I am a Crankbait junkie...I'm in a program...It ain't helping!

15. Member
    While I’m not a Ranger owner, got a BCB hybrid, I find this a very interesting thread. Not being a junior anymore “75” my balance is not what it used to be! What I use is basically the the hydraulic pedestal and butt seat that came with the boat. My only complaint is it’s rather cumbersome when reaching for another rod or, at times, a fish!! I thought about the possibility of adding another hole a few inches from the original hole but decided against for fear of messing up the deck and carpet. No back surgery for me so I’m good there, just take your time, don’t hurt yourself or fall in the lake, that’s very embarrassing!!
    Chuck Bumpilori
    2021 Puma hybrid/300 ProXs

AA270897-D3E8-4487-B75F-C658F54FB130.jpeg
    A couple of years ago I tore a ligament in my foot while climbing out of my boat which caused a collapse of my arch. Threw my balance completely off. I decided to get a re-boarding ladder installed. I ended up having to tow the boat all the way to Flippin Arkansas to get it. Like insurance, you don’t need it until you need it and I haven’t needed it yet but I enjoy the peace of mind that it gives me. I haven’t fallen but once but didn’t go into the water…..landed on the throttle lever….those cost $125 in case you wondered.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I can surely relate !! I just fished yesterday using my rear fold down seat on the shorter post, up front !! Sure felt good on my back !! I didn't have any issues using the Trolling Motor Pedal or casting. HOWEVER, it does make it harder to see over the bow when running. I ended up removing it each time I moved to another spot. Also, I have added a Hand Rail along the driver console to aid in giving me something to hold on to for balance when getting up and down from the front deck !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
    I think people started standing when Dee Thomas started winning a lot of tournaments with his "flippin'" technique.
    Dee is a legend out here on the Delta and a very nice man R.I.P

19. Member
    Took over a year to find another Ranger seat which matched my boat's color scheme and the same clamshell style...........to buy one from the factory is quite pricey. It is from an older Comanche series but the color scheme works perfectly and saved over 300 bucks in the process. They are tough find but the two last years as the back has been creaky at best it worked great as other fishing buddies always claim the one that came with the boat on the back deck.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    Dee is a legend out here on the Delta and a very nice man R.I.P
    speaking of Dee, he fished all his like and the last several years he carried oxygen with him and had a handicap pole to the front deck.
    even with all that going on he was still a threat to kick your butt in any tournament he entered m