Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wind and rain suit for winter?

I use frog toggs in warm weather but need something more substantial for winter. Really do t want to spend
    $500 if I don’t have to. Any suggestions?

Borrow Money, best fishing investment I have made, Eskimo Brand Flotation built in.
    Ohio river gets in the blood!

3. Member
    EroForce is some nice stuff but not quite so no hunting and it's not going to make you float. Very Warm and wind proof.

https://pro.refrigiwear.com/category/rain-wear

I have a roomy rain suit that I use most of the year. In late fall and early spring (I don't do winter up here, but I do fish in the 20's and 30's as long as there's no ice) I have just worn the Rain Suit over my cold weather clothing. The suit keeps me dry and protects from the wind and with normal cold weather clothing beneath, I stay toasty worm. Save yourself some money and give it a try. Its all about the proper layers.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    I have a roomy rain suit that I use most of the year. In late fall and early spring (I don't do winter up here, but I do fish in the 20's and 30's as long as there's no ice) I have just worn the Rain Suit over my cold weather clothing. The suit keeps me dry and protects from the wind and with normal cold weather clothing beneath, I stay toasty worm. Save yourself some money and give it a try. Its all about the proper layers.
    This 100%. Its all about layers. A good rain suit will block the wind and just layer accordingly underneath to the temps they are predicting. Hell the weather mans never right so you can add or shed clothing as needed.

6. Member
    I have Columbia warm and cold weather rain gear, been happy with both. I bought both sets about six or seven years ago and they both still keep me dry. Probably don't have 500 bucks total for both.

7. Member
    Piscifun ice fishing jacket and bibs. Use code Jason20 to save 20%.

8. Member
    Striker Gear
    Risen From The Ashes!!

9. Banned
    My gortex from Cabelas can't be beat

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    I winter fish quite a bit, and would make the argument if you do it all the time, investing in a quality insulated set of raingear is worth it. I got an aftco hydranaut set, and its so nice not having a bunch of layers on. Honestly in western Washington, the full suit is often too warm and I end up just wearing the bibs with a hoodie and only wearing the jacket during a run.

Not saying layering and wearing normal raingear doesnt work just fine, but the insulated set is a nice luxury
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I have the Simms Pro Dry jacket and bibs, worth every penny...

Good luck

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

I use Simms Pro Dry as well…Best thing about it is the light weight and flexibility. It does require appropriate layering for cold temps. It’s crazy priced, but you know they gotta pay all the pro staff.

I use gill, usually on sale about now.

14. Member
    If someone made a 3x with 26” inseam, I’d invest in one.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

15. Member
    Cabela’s guidewear bought the set in 2015 and fish when it was 25 degrees with just jeans and t shirt and long sleeve t shirt and never got cold. Money well spent.

16. Member
    I’ve got a pro qualifier suit I think it was around $500, it’s heavy and wears on me throughout a day of fishing. But if they were $1000 I’d still buy it. They are a life saver some days in the winter

17. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I'm still wearing my old Guidewear set ,had a Pro-Qualifier but got too snug and now they don't make either. The new Guidewear is nothing like the 10yr old suit I have and can't find Pro-qualifier any where not a fan of the light weight stuff I see and really need knee high zippers for easy on and off on the bibs
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

18. Member
    I have a set of Guidewear that is thinsulated I picked up about 20 years ago, still work as advertised however I don't get out in that kind of weather anymore. They are great for those cold windy/rainy days.

I use the same stuff as I do in the summer. Just layer more in the winter. I have lightweight shell so I can use it anytime.

Insulated Guidewear, layer up underneath. Been warm and dry in all kinds of weather. They weren't inexpensive, but cost per year in miniscule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast