2002 620 - cutting hole in port or starboard consoles

I've noticed the newer 620's and 621's have holes cutout in front of the port and starboard consoles (not sure thats the right name but its what I could come up with right now) so that rod tips can go in and your rods will then lay flat on the deck. As more of a bass guy than anything else (although i do get out on lake erie a decent amount so I like the deep V) this is the only thing I do not like about my '02 620 - i can't lay my rods flat on the front deck, always have them propped up in the back. Was thinking of making a cutout myself. Anybody see any issue with this? I can't think of one as long as I don't hit anything significant - wires, etc. Appreciate any/all thoughts

I did it on my 2010 620 and there was no issue. I bought a plastic grommet to finish the hole for a cleaner look. You might be able to order the trim from a newer Ranger too I thought about that but never checked into it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamTuna View Post
    I did it on my 2010 620 and there was no issue. I bought a plastic grommet to finish the hole for a cleaner look. You might be able to order the trim from a newer Ranger too I thought about that but never checked into it.
    Thanks for the heads up! much appreciated. did you put the hole towards the middle or the outside of the console? And did you just use a router?

Quote Originally Posted by sala0288 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! much appreciated. did you put the hole towards the middle or the outside of the console? And did you just use a router?
    I put it towards the side and used two holes from a hole saw and then a jig saw to cut the oval shape.

Quote Originally Posted by sala0288 View Post
    I used this to finish the hole
    IMG_0220.jpeg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamTuna View Post
    I used this to finish the hole
    IMG_0220.jpeg

sweet thanks man

7. Member
    Yep, what Mr Tuna said, make a quick check under the console to make sure there aren't any wires where you will be cutting, mine had some cables from a dash mounted fish finder but they were just in the way, not attached, so they were easily slid out of the way.