Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We just had a 21' above ground pool installed. We had one in our home previous for 14 years. Never a problem. The only cost outside of maintenance was a motor rebuild after 10 years that cost us $250 back then. We got a radiant pool this time which has a lifetime warranty. The dealer is local and also does his own installation. We use a pool every day it is nice out. We won't close it until the temp falls pretty low. I could be in it in Oct if the weather holds out. There's two types of filters, sand and diatomaceous earth.
    The latter needs to be cleaned about every 5 yrs. We went with a sand filter. We had a sand filter in our previous pool and didn't replace the sand until it was about 10 yrs old.
    So, if you want a pool, get it and use it.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    You will just grow to hate it like the rest of us
    No, not the "rest of us"
    I had a pool for 14 yrs and now have another in my new home. Love it.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

3. Member
    Thanks everyone for the info!!

We put one in 7 years ago. One of the best things we have ever done. The grandkids love it. The only advice I have is for you to make sure you understand it needs attention almost everyday. You can't leave it for a few days at a time and expect it to stay clean.

get the pool..

Fire up the grill, Grab a beer and crank the Metallica and enjoy.

Life is short, don’t listen to the haters.

Also, it doesn’t have to be that big the enjoy. Our pool is only 12x15, and get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

All the nieces and nephews in the family don't remember our old house much, but each will tell you all the great times they had in the pool in great detail...lol

Some duh comments, just typing as I think of things

They are one of the best babysitters you can have if you like being outside. Build a big ole deck with a mount for one of those huge umbrellas to chill under when the kidos won't get out of the pool

If you decide to get one, get one with a stretchable liner, meaning it will have a deeper end or middle. Get the biggest sand filter and pump it will support, one that has a backflush and a timer, pretty sure they all do

Get an auto cleaner robot and a cover

If you have kids, the pool will stay pretty clean as they kick up stuff off the bottom and it goes into the skimmer

If you use it one every couple of weeks, it will become a lot of work and no fun

Don't be too horrified pulling the cover off in the spring. It will be a hot mess and will smell like a science experiment with all the stuff you have to put into it. Acid or ash, chlorine, shock...etc

Look at chlorine alternatives if that is still a thing, sun kills chlorine which is why you will have a floaty thing that hold several tablets
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

Weve had one since 08....not my thing, wife takes care of it better than she does me sometimes, she loves that hillbilly pool...makes her happy....I do help with the heavier stuff....had to replace original liner last year...been thru a.couple.filters and pumps but it's.kept a.smile on her.face for a long time...that's all that matters....only time I ever get in it is after cutting the grass or working in garage or something ....right now it's like bathwater it's been so hot...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Have a 15X30, sand filter and run a salt system not much maintenance to it. Just check the levels once a week and toss a bag of shock to it. Run the robot cleaner and good to go. Couldn't stand N FL in the summer without it. Pups have boogie boards and float around on them they do have life jackets just in case they decide they want a dip. I'll probably need to replace the liner next year as the sun does fade out the patterns. Have a deck and walk way around it.

9. Member
    Just had a 21' round above ground installed 2 months ago. Grew up with a pool when young and wife and I had one at our first house. Been about 10 years since owned one though.

You can get a nice set of steps for inside and outside of the pool if you don't do a deck (we might build something next year). Get the nice steps with the weights for inside pool.

Use a reputable local company they will take care of you.

I'm using the Simple Blue water manager program. It's so easy it almost feels like it can't be possible. Each company sells their version of this these days. Every now and then I put in a bit of muriatic acid.

My folks have an above ground pool and just go old school liquid chlorine, algaecide etc. According to my math/usage I don't see the Simple Blue program costing much more of a difference.

You can get a good cordless electric vacuum theses days for a couple hundred bucks....well worth the money trust me no brainer.

Some people prefer the sand filters but I think they are cumbersome and a pain to move when season is over. I went with a black diamond pump/cartridge filter system. Every couple weeks just pull filter out rinse off with hose and back it goes...again easy...takes 5 minutes.

I run pump on low for about 12 hours during the day shut off at night. Run for a couple hours on high when I put the Simple Blue powder in.

The pool will come with the flimsy flex type hoses...upgrade to the rigid style and have them put both hoses on a shutoff valve.

Many times the bigger companies will run finance specials. We got ours on a 48 month 0% deal...why not right....enjoy.

10. Member
    In 2020 my wife and I bought a above ground pool from Menards. I think it is a bestway brand. After fighting the chit filter/pump that it came with, in 2021 I purchased a sand filter/pump off amazon for like $200 and a new skimmer and hoses. This is our 4th summer on the pool, 3rd with the sand filter/pump and it has been great. The biggest issue we have is keeping the pool temp down when it gets really hot like we are dealing with right now in Missouri. We don't have any trees around our pool which is good and bad at the same time. Is good because I don't have leaves and crap to clean out all the time, but bad because I don't have natural shade for the pool which makes it hotter on really hot days. As far as chemicals I put a 3" chlorine tab in once every 3 days and shock once a month as well as put in algicide every so often. If we have a really rainy season I will use more muriatic acid to control pH, but it has been a real issue this summer. All in all pools are a great way to relax in the summer. If your not sure about wether you will like the pool get a intex or best way above ground pool and upgrade to a proper size sand filter/pump and go from there. If you don't like it you won't be out a ton of money. We have around $800 in ours all together. Next year I am going to upgrade the ladder as the ladder that came with the pool is chinsey and really kind of dangerous. Changing to a new ladder will add another $200 or so, but safety is well worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    We just had a 21' above ground pool installed. We had one in our home previous for 14 years. Never a problem. The only cost outside of maintenance was a motor rebuild after 10 years that cost us $250 back then. We got a radiant pool this time which has a lifetime warranty. The dealer is local and also does his own installation. We use a pool every day it is nice out. We won't close it until the temp falls pretty low. I could be in it in Oct if the weather holds out. There's two types of filters, sand and diatomaceous earth.
    The latter needs to be cleaned about every 5 yrs. We went with a sand filter. We had a sand filter in our previous pool and didn't replace the sand until it was about 10 yrs old.
    So, if you want a pool, get it and use it.

If you don't mind me asking Al, what is the cost of a 21' nowaday's?.... Just the pool/pump and installed. We've had one for years and finally gave out at the end of last season so I junked it. Not sure if we would get another one as the girls are grown up but me and the Mrs miss playing Marco Polo and peek-a-boo, on a hot summer night (well, I miss it mostly )

12. Member
    had a 24 round pool put in about 5 years ago and love it. I'm about to turn 65 and nothing better than floating around drinking a few cold ones every afternoon. Get one of the robot vacuums and drop in a chlorine tab every 2 days, no big deal to maintain. Also get one of the sprinkler deals to help cool it down in the summer, it helps. Pool was a little under 3k installed and the deck was another 3k. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

13. Member
    What robot do you have?

14. Member
    Had one as a kid and just remember the chemicals and other crazy work Dad put into it. Would not own one again if only used 4-5 months a year.

16. Member
    Be aware it will likely affect your home insurance rates as well.

17. Member
    If you have kids/grandkids it's almost guaranteed to be worthwhile for the fun it provides. If it's only for adult use, it's hit or miss (lots of misses). If your yard has lots of trees overhead it's nearly impossible to keep clean and the shade often makes it so you'll need to add heat either by electric, gas, or solar (not a bad idea even in full sun). Definitely go with salt system with a sand filter and robotic vac if you green-light the project.

I ordered a pool package online and go to the local pool store for maintenance products like salt, pH balance, spring and fall shocks, etc. so I can't really agree with the earlier comment about needing to buy local. If you want to support the local shop by getting a pool there that's great but my experience has been that they're happy you came through the door to buy something small as well
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Pools=money pits and more work
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Had one as a kid and just remember the chemicals and other crazy work Dad put into it. Would not own one again if only used 4-5 months a year.
    It aint what it used to be. With a salt system there's very little maintenance. When we installed our inground the pool guy told us, let the pool do the work. Run it enough hours to turn the water over at least once a day, for our size and pump size that's around 8 hours minimum. We run it 12 in the hot summer. Chemicals stay stabil, we have to add some about once a year, depending on rainfall. I have to empty the skimmers more often this time of year, but I'm surrounded by trees. If some get on the bottom, run the Polaris. If you are not getting a pool because you think it's a lot of work, you're missing out.

20. Member
    If done right today's pool's are not like they use to be, our son is about finished with one of those pools/patios you see on those TV shows. Salt water with custom rock work hauled in from Indiana and Tenn. full outdoor kitchen and bar, custom rock fireplace pizza oven, sound system, chain saw carving etc. Full electronic pool cover, just flip a switch to open and close.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast