Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Above Ground pool ?

Hello! My wife and I are discussing getting an above ground pool. We are looking for something around the 20'-24' size. I would like to hear some recomendations and possibly things not to overlook. Thanks for your help!!!

2. Member
    Dont overlook not getting a pool and instead a membership to a country club with a pool.

If you insist on a pool understand trees and all that crap they drop ends up in the pool.

Refer back to a country club membership. :)
    Last edited by Axkiker; 08-20-2023 at 06:20 PM.

3. Member
    Find a nice lake not to far away. Several above ground pools around here. Hardly ever see anyone in them.

I hope you guys decide on what is best for your family, but my advice would be go swim in your friend’s pool, lake, community pool, or wherever else that has water. I will never, ever own a pool again whether it be in ground, above ground, in a tree house or anywhere else. Money pit and too much work for me. Leaves, chemicals, breakdowns, and the rest is not what I call fun. Swimming is overrated, anyways. Been there, done that for 20+ years.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

5. Member
    We had one for ~15 years. This time of year the water was hot. It was like getting into a hot bath tub. It was a money pit. I'm told saltwater eliminates much of the chemical cost. The pump added ~$50 a month to my power bill. We replaced the liner once. Not very expensive but a bunch of work. Ours collapsed last spring. We had just uncovered it. There's a rigid ring around the top (and bottom) that holds it together. I suspect we lifted the ring up a little removing the cover. The next morning it had collapsed. My daughter has an in ground pool. The water stays cooler than our above ground.

Consider how much time you can actually spend in the pool throughout the year. The pool sits year round, and has to maintained year round whether you use it, or not. We opted for membership at the Elks’s Lodge with a pool about 3 miles from the house. Yearly costs are less than 3 months of maintenance on an at-home pool.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    They give them away around here, you take down and haul away. I know one guy that used one for a Shiner/bait tank.

8. Bob G's pool boy
    Budget in for a deck around most, if not all of it.

Good set of steps. The ladder in and out isn't fun. This and the deck are vital.

Automatic vacuum.

Buy local. Keep those guys in business so they are there for you on a Saturday morning when something needs attention. The advice from local folks that know about local conditions is very helpful. There are options to maintaining the water and they can get you pointed in the right direction with that as well.

We used the hell out of it when the kids were young and the wife loved it when they were gone. Even in the very short season in Vermont, it was well worth the effort and expense overall.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

9. Member
    I spend around an hour a week maintaining ours, its a 16'x32' above ground. 15 years old now, I've replaced one pump and liner in that time. Takes about an hour to close it up, will be doing that in about three weeks. If I was buying new I would do a salt filter system as chemicals have skyrocketed in price, easier to maintain also, it is a higher start up cost. With all that said I'm hoping this is the last year for it, just doesn't get used enough to justify keeping it.

10. Member
    Pools are like new bassboat's unless you use the crap out of them you will always feel like you are losing money. My kids loved it for 5 years now they could care less. I've swam 6 times this year my wife 10......

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Pools are like new bassboat's unless you use the crap out of them you will always feel like you are losing money. My kids loved it for 5 years now they could care less. I've swam 6 times this year my wife 10......
    I haven't been in ours in several years. Kids and grandkids are grown and gone, due to health issues my wife has only been in twice this year, kids, grandkids and great grandkids four or five times.

12. Member
    You will just grow to hate it like the rest of us

13. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Look at Wilkes pools. Combination of both with a lot of benefits.

Dale Sinclair original

14. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    You will just grow to hate it like the rest of us
    Of true.

Dale Sinclair original

15. Member
    I had an above ground pool several years ago. The thing I absolutely loved the most was the day I took it down for good. Between maintaining the water and keeping it clean it was nothing but a major source of frustration.

16. Member
    We started with an above ground, cheap, small version. It was a good trial to see if we wanted an in ground. We got an in ground in 2017. I'm 61 and I use it a lot more than I thought I would. I get in several times a week, sometimes multiple times a day. It is great to cool off from outside work. We keep the grandkids 2-4 days a week and if it aint raining, they will be in it.

Back to the above ground, as was stated earlier, you will want a deck. Steps are nice. Get a pool with at least one skimmer. Go salt, it is higher initial cost but easy to maintain. Use a sand filter. You will have to have a level spot for the entire footprint of the pool.

17. Member
    We did an above ground round at 1st house. Did an above ground oval with a BIG 2 level deck at 2nd home. Enjoyed it greatly. Current home we had an inground pool installed. We did it with waterfall, sun deck, in water seating and salt water. We did the pool as a sport pool as our kids are grown. Super low maintenance compared to an above ground. If you can afford the initial cost, you will make it back on maintenance, time and more enjoyment. I enjoy sitting out back with the sound and looks just as much as I like floating and sleeping in it.

Floating with feet on the rocks of waterfall is the best nap ever..
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    Hello! My wife and I are discussing getting an above ground pool. We are looking for something around the 20'-24' size. I would like to hear some recomendations and possibly things not to overlook. Thanks for your help!!!
    They are not that much work. I put up a 27ft round 2 years ago just me and a buddy. Wife loves it. Get the foam cove kit, buy a good winter cover, robot vacuum, use filter balls instead of sand/ media in the filter. They can be reused upt to around 4 years, just remove them each season and wash in the washing machine. Pool water will be crystal clear and it helps with pump life, also cut the noise down tremendously. I can barely hear my pump running while in the pool.

19. Member
    Neighbor put one in, used twice torn down next year...

I have had pools at three of my houses. The kids used them the most and when they moved out the wife would just float around in a lounge chair.

They are for the most part fairly easy to maintain once you figure them out but there is a learning curve. Make sure you put it where it will get full sun.

Google search will be your friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast