Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I thought it had to be on a boat. Just check your local laws.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    My Bullet didn't come with one.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Garmin Force
    8' Raptors

Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    My Bullet didn't come with one.
    You buy it new ?

They are required to be legal, and they are required to be mounted by the USCG within eye sight of the driver. Every enforcement officer must have the ability to verify that you are within the legal capacity of that label. You may move the label, IF (yes IF) you can place that same label, or a replica, in a location that meets the USCG requirement of driver eyesight. We have seen those compromised in those early days and altered to appear at a higher horsepower rating. Unfortunately, for those that have done this, some were questioned by state enforcement officers and those person have been cited for tampering this the certification labeling.

That's the laws.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Any reason those Capacity stickers from the MFG cannot be removed? I'll be adding speakers to my ZX and most likely will go right where Skeetet stuck all those stickers :(. I assume a heat gun and some goo-gone would take care of them, but wasn't sure if required to leave in place for Coast Guard regs or anything like that?

Here's same model but no stickers, not sure if different due to dual console model, or if the owner of this boat removed them...

Don’t win a BFL or other national/regional tourney event without one. Quick DQ.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    They are required to be legal, and they are required to be mounted by the USCG within eye sight of the driver. Every enforcement officer must have the ability to verify that you are within the legal capacity of that label. You may move the label, IF (yes IF) you can place that same label, or a replica, in a location that meets the USCG requirement of driver eyesight. We have seen those compromised in those early days and altered to appear at a higher horsepower rating. Unfortunately, for those that have done this, some were questioned by state enforcement officers and those person have been cited for tampering this the certification labeling.

That's the laws.

BCB
    Are you referring to the yellow capacity label? Or all of the safety labels? I could understand as a mfg/builder that you may need to adhere to specific requirements and the USCG covers them pretty well in chapter 183.

From a potential on the water enforcement perspective it doesn't seem to apply to boats over 20 ft. This is stated in 33 CFR § 183.31 - Applicability.

With that said some states do have specific laws around enforcing what can be viewed on those stickers, but not all states. Places where you could face criminal charges seem minimal, but civil is obviously a whole different story if you were to get into an accident.

If you have different code/laws/statutes you could post it would be valuable for this thread.

7. Member
    What kind of effect does having an over rated motor on your boat have on insurance ?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterprop View Post
    What kind of effect does having an over rated motor on your boat have on insurance ?
    When I repowered my boat a few years ago I could have got a really good deal on a 225 to replace my 200. I called my insurance "broker" (not the actual insurance "provider") to ask if this was ok. They said no problem. It was tempting, however, I was afraid that if I had a claim of any kind the actual insurer would be really quick to deny it. Also, if Coast Guard checks the capacity sticker, you're likely in trouble.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    All my stickers blew off first time out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    When I repowered my boat a few years ago I could have got a really good deal on a 225 to replace my 200. I called my insurance "broker" (not the actual insurance "provider") to ask if this was ok. They said no problem. It was tempting, however, I was afraid that if I had a claim of any kind the actual insurer would be really quick to deny it. Also, if Coast Guard checks the capacity sticker, you're likely in trouble.
    Should have just got some new “200” stickers made for the 225 motor

Quote Originally Posted by townsend266 View Post
    Should have just got some new “200” stickers made for the 225 motor

If he fished any tournaments tgen in a lot of cases he would be breaking a rule.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    You buy it new ?
    No but the 21' 10" boats come with a sticker that states it isn't required.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Garmin Force
    8' Raptors

Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    No but the 21' 10" boats come with a sticker that states it isn't required.
    Never seen that...Are you talking about the Capacity rating or the horsepower?

Got most of them removed... Actually cut the long sticker and left the capacity info. I have a copy I can order if needed, but I suspect what I've left is all that is required. They came of pretty clean except the actual capacity sticker, which did come off pretty easily but left a stubborn residue. Since likely required by law in most states, I supsect they used a stronger adhesive for it :). Anyway, cleaned it up a bit, but since I'll have a 5 1/2" hole there soon, figured no point wasting time on it. Once I have the hole drilled, I'll clean up what's left over.

15. Member
    All of this only applies to boats UNDER 20 foot correct? Seems like every rule I look at says USCG only requires it on boats under 20 foot. I could be wrong. Im asking as my 20 foot boat didn't come with a sticker or plate, curious if that would ever matter. I also had to sign something when I agreed to have no floatation in my boat but that's a different discussion.
    2022 Gator Trax Strike 20 w/Suzuki 250ss

It must be on the boat as BCB wrote. The length of the vessel does not matter in the recreational boat market and has to do with NMMA affiliation. There is no problem removing it but you better replace it with a replica.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    It must be on the boat as BCB wrote. The length of the vessel does not matter in the recreational boat market and has to do with NMMA affiliation. There is no problem removing it but you better replace it with a replica.
    Are you quoting a state law, or federal law? I posted the USCG statute above and that is only applicable to boats under 20 ft.

Although I appreciate BCB and your response I don't see any legal backup. Some states may refer to NMMA standards, USCG, or create their own. Either way, I don't see anything federally regulated for over 20 ft.

18. Member
    I guess the only way you'll know for sure is when your boat is involved in an accident and a lawyer checks the serial number on your motor and the plate on your boat.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterprop View Post
    I guess the only way you'll know for sure is when your boat is involved in an accident and a lawyer checks the serial number on your motor and the plate on your boat.
    Most definitely, but that is a civil matter. Criminal would come in if you are in a state that has a law pertaining to this, or if the boat is under 20 ft.

I imagine BASS, MLF, and the others may have their rule due to insurance requirements.

Bass Pro actually has some pretty good information on this exact topic.

https://www.bassproboatingcenters.co...pacity%20plate.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Never seen that...Are you talking about the Capacity rating or the horsepower?
    Both, I'll take a picture of it when I get home later today.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Garmin Force
    8' Raptors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast