Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Boat Capacity Sticker OK to remove?

Any reason those Capacity stickers from the MFG cannot be removed? I'll be adding speakers to my ZX and most likely will go right where Skeetet stuck all those stickers :(. I assume a heat gun and some goo-gone would take care of them, but wasn't sure if required to leave in place for Coast Guard regs or anything like that?

Here's same model but no stickers, not sure if different due to dual console model, or if the owner of this boat removed them...

2. Member
    It’s your boat. Peel em off. Just like a mattress. Cut the tags. You own it.

There are federal (and some states) requirements that certain boats have them. I would go through all the google hit you can find before removing.
    I have had a few boat inspections in Ohio over the last 40 years and they always asked to see them. If it's required and you don't have it, they can stop you from going out, or ticket you if you are on the water.
    Last edited by GPtimes2; 05-07-2023 at 05:06 PM.

4. Member
    They were in the way on my boat also, so I took them off. However, I was careful peeling off the small yellow one with "capacity" and "model" so I could move it to near the shifter. Coast Guard in my area has been known to check these. The others I trashed...
    Last edited by McQuaig; 05-07-2023 at 05:16 PM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    Since your boat is 19 feet 11 inches (maybe) , > ?? > Federal law requires single-hull boats less than 20 feet in length to have a capacity plate. [might be good to have a capacity plate if selling a boat or accident ]
    https://www.boat-ed.com/indiana/stud...arning%20decal.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

6. Member
    Some tournaments require them. Been winners dq’d for not having placard on boat.
    Rad Brewer

7. Member
    11. BOAT & HORSEPOWER REGULATION • All boats must be propeller-driven, a minimum of 16 feet in length and have a rear deck (with a seat if requested). All boats must be equipped with wheel steering; no other steering device will be permitted. No barges or similarly cumbersome craft will be permitted. Each boat must have all required U.S. Coast Guard safety equipment. Boats must contain a properly aerated livewell space to maintain alive a limit catch of bass by both contestants. Maximum horsepower for all outboards used in tournament competition will be 250 horsepower, not to exceed the horsepower capacity set forth on the “Maximum Capacities” placard described below. Each boat must have a clearly legible “Maximum Capacities” (or comparably titled) placard that includes a maximum horsepower rating affixed to the boat by the manufacturer. The horsepower of the outboard engine must not exceed the maximum horsepower capacity specified on this placard or the 250-horsepower maximum set by MLF.
    Rad Brewer

Boat Capacity Sticker OK to remove?

NO !

9. Member
    I think you are OK moving them but not removing them. I have never seen a boat with them in such a conspicuous place before. Usually they are partially hidden by the driver console.

10. Member
    Call Skeeter they will probably send you a new one and you can put it where you want.

11. Member
    I would not remove them on any boat. They are pretty much the last word in what is legal or not.

12. Member
    Well. I forgot that some states may be different than the one I call home. I bet it’s illegal to take off the tire pressure inflation recommendation decal in the door jam of your vehicles in some of y’all’s states. Lol.

All my stickers blew off first time out.
    Ranger Forever

14. Member
    I would take good pictures of them prior to removing them and keep them on you phone. Then get new stickers to place elsewhere. If Skeeter won't supply them try Iguana Graphics on here.
    '

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyjoe View Post
    Call Skeeter they will probably send you a new one and you can put it where you want.
    I bet wacyjoe is right. If not, take good photos of the existing ones and have custom decals made. I repainted an engine cowling once and a friend who used to do auto body work told me about a local decal shop that made me new cowling decals that looked exactly like original for about half the cost of what I could find online. Even if you can't find a local shop, there are plenty of online custom decal shops now. I can't imagine that sticker costing much.

Thanks all, McQuaig is hooking me up with a pdf so I can have a replacement printed if necessary.

I also though it was odd place to put all those stickers, tbh.

17. Member
    I always wondered when I saw boats for sale with repowered and over powered motors on them , how they get away with that. This post explains that it is illegal to do this.

18. Member
    I did research on this for the number of persons sticker several years ago on our boat. I went with the federal regulation and over 20 ft is not regulated by the coast guard. Ours is over 20 ft. The stickers are very easy to order online. Plug in your number of persons and HP and voila!

Some states do have laws that say you must adhere to the details on the yellow sticker, but most do not. We always make sure we have a lifevest for everyone on board and that we aren't overloaded. At this point in our lives all of our kids and friends children are all small, so all good.

19. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

20. Member
    Boat capacity sticker replicas | GarzonStudio.com

order new and place where you want them
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast