Banned

Cast Iron Skillet Experts

Someone gave me a 12 inch pan. I already have an 8 inch pan I use all the time. The 8 inch pan is smooth but the 12 inch pan is rough and stuff sticks way worse.
    Is there a way to fix this? I think you can sand or grind them but maybe you guys know the answer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I know my cast iron items will get some items burned into them. If alot I take a steel brush attachment on my drill and take off the top coat. I then wash them and re-season them.

Blackstone griddles are cast iron. Google how to clean them for a better answer. I found this

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...obile&ie=UTF-8

You don't have to do anything to the rough one, but it will help a ton if you do. When I've gotten new Lodge pans (Lodge castings tend to be pretty "grainy" on the surface) I take a die grinder and a tough scotch brite pad or mild sand paper to them to smooth them out. Then, re-season the heck out of them. It really makes the process of making them "slick" much faster and less of a PITA. When I season one like that, I use grape seed oil, which has a higher smoke point than most. I apply the oil, wipe as much of it as I can off, then place it in the oven upside down. Put the pan in the oven during the heat-up, leave it at 400 degrees for an hour, then leave it in while it cools. I do this process 4 times back to back and the end result is a pan that's decently well seasoned and ready for use. I also re-oil my pans every time I use them, right after I clean and dry them. The only pan I have that I've not done this to is one I got from my grandmother 30 years ago and she had it all her life. It's an old SK 8" pan and by far my favorite piece of cookware. I use it several times a week.

4. Member
    You can sand it with a mouse type sander. When you get it smooth you can wash it with dish washing soap. Put it on the stove to dry on low. If you have to touch up sand more you can do that now. Then wash and dry again. Once cool coat it with oil. Some use different oils but it doesn't matter much. I like veg oil. Once coated with a light coat of oil put it in the oven at 450 for 45 minutes. Let it cool, coat lightly with oil again and repeat in the oven. After second round you can let it cool and wash it again then apply a good coat of oil and repeat the oven deal. You should have a good seasoned pot. I always take a fresh seasoned black iron pot and cook a pound of bacon in it for the first cook. Let the bacon drippings sit in the pot for a few hours then clean the pot with hot water. You can get away with a light scrubbing if needed but I always try to use a scrub sponge instead of anything steel or abrasive. If you have to use a steel scrubber for maybe a burn spot down the road you can usually get away with washing it well and doing 1 round of re-seasoning in the oven. I just sanded a 16 quart the kids gave me for Christmas. You can't get a smooth cast iron pot like you used to so you can either cook in it for 20 years or sand it.

5. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

6. Member
    Sand it, season it and use it. Everything you cook on leaches into your food. Cast iron leaches iron something a lot of people are low on, nonstick leaches what ever DuPont is hawking that week.

7. Member
    This video is very helpful.

8. Member
    I've collected cast iron pans for years. If you find an older cast iron that needs a good cleaning just put it in your oven and run the cleaning cycle on the oven. Everything will be burnt to ash and after a washing the pan will be ready for sanding, if surface is not smooth, or seasoning.

9. Member
    Sand and redo the seasoning.

10. Member
    I wouldnt sand it, that just looks to be burnt on food. Throw it in a fire for about 30 minutes hit it with a soft wire brush then oil it down and repeat till its smooth and seasoned.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I've collected cast iron pans for years. If you find an older cast iron that needs a good cleaning just put it in your oven and run the cleaning cycle on the oven. Everything will be burnt to ash and after a washing the pan will be ready for sanding, if surface is not smooth, or seasoning.

12. Member
    I have a couple 50s era Griswolds, they are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmar View Post
    Blackstone griddles are cast iron.
    Blackstone griddles are cold rolled steel, not cast iron.

Making good people helpless has never made bad people harmless.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Blackstone griddles are cold rolled steel, not cast iron.
    Is it that military grade stuff that Chevy uses? If so I bet it is hard to keep that stuff from rusting.

15. Member
    What is everyone's opinion of finding old cast iron pans with no knowledge of what has been in them and then cleaning, seasoning them, and using them? Is this wise to take a chance that it could have had something toxic in it? Probably not a good thing to do right? Would you eat out of them? Thoughts? Thx
    Kent

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txsunfish View Post
    What is everyone's opinion of finding old cast iron pans with no knowledge of what has been in them and then cleaning, seasoning them, and using them? Is this wise to take a chance that it could have had something toxic in it? Probably not a good thing to do right? Would you eat out of them? Thoughts? Thx
    Kent
    Aint killed me yet. I put mine in a blazing charcoal fire to burn the crud off then season. Maybe im slowly being killed but I doubt it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txsunfish View Post
    Kent
    I understand fully your concern. It's a chance you take. When dealing in "junk" you develop an eye for quality. If totally concerned, ask an expert or save your time and effort.