Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Passing of the Queen

Came in from the shop to eat my sammich, and turned on the noon news…..

Now I haven’t been glued to the tube watching the coverage on this event, but I have caught some of the network coverage since she passed.

I don’t understand the fascination the US news media has with covering the Brits or the Queen, but so be it.

The coverage of her life as been pretty thorough, I guess, but there’s one thing I haven’t heard mentioned in the reporting I have seen.

She was one of the Greatest Generation. She did her part during WW II. Considering her station in life, she probably could have taken a different path.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The Brits don’t understand our fascination either. They totally think we are nuts.

3. Member
    I do not get it either. We whooped that ass several times so we would not have to put up with a king or queen’s crap.

4. Member
    Well, I suppose she could have. Her uncle abdicated the throne because he wanted to get married to a woman with two living ex-husbands. Kind of a big deal in any royal family. So when he vacated, her dad became king. He died, and Elizabeth didn’t have any brothers so she was next in line for succession.

She definitely could’ve chosen against it, but I suppose it would’ve had some pretty devastating consequences to her family’s political power. It was the hand she was dealt, imo.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

5. Member
    I couldn’t care less about the queen, totally irrelevant to my life, but so isn’t the news. I don’t get the fascination some people have of the royal family
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

She carried herself through life with dignity, grace, and class. Something sorely lacking among people today.

7. Banned
    for 70 years

8. Member
    sometimes the news dont want to carry the actually news. Not dis on the queen she was a miraculous person and did a lot for the world

9. Member
    I always had respect for her when I learned of her service during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I do not get it either. We whooped that ass several times so we would not have to put up with a king or queen’s crap.
    Classy post!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    She carried herself through life with dignity, grace, and class. Something sorely lacking among people today.
    I agree. And she did it without ever being political.

12. Member
    Britain has been a wonderful ally of all of North America for a long, long time. Their soldiers have been everywhere ours have been.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    We put up with their “crap” in WWI & WWII. They’ve been allies in several campaigns. Time to get over it.

I’ve personally flown with members of the RAF and RCAF. Been to their bases and drank many beers with them. I respect their gov’t, they respect ours. We didn’t discuss politics, just did our best to handle business in the sandbox.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 09-16-2022 at 03:17 PM.

15. Member
    That, and the fact she served her country as a motor pool person during the war. She was like everybody's classy granny.

16. Member
    I work over there quite a bit. Was there a big portion of the summer (they had a hot summer too so no real escape like I normally get). Good people over there that see us as kin. We don't always full understand each others' obsessions, but I think we ride together when the going gets rough. I like those folks, their culture and their beer. This is a somber time for them, and I will tip my hat.

17. Member
    We put up with their “crap” in WWI & WWII. They’ve been allies in several campaigns. Time get over it.

I’ve personally flown with members of the RAF and RCAF. Been to their bases and drank many beers with them. I respect their gov’t, they respect ours. We didn’t discuss politics, just did our best to handle business in the sandbox.
    Ditto here. 1969-1971

18. Member
    THIS !!!!

19. Member
    Big distraction from our own news.

20. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    She surely pissed off the Irish, and we quickly forgot the scandals
    Thanos was the hero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast