Thread: Tires

Question Tires

What is the relationship between tire age and rubber density? Should a 2016 Mazda with OE tires make an unusual amount of noise due to the hardness (age) of the tires? Thank y'all for any suggestions in advance.

Regards,
    Rerun

2. Member
    2016 tires? Unless it has been stored indoors, they should be toast. Old tires seem to ride much harsher than new ones. I recall many times buying a new set and the vehicle felt like a different car/truck.

3. Member
    I’m not sure I have an answer but, I just had the OE tires replaced on a 2017 F150 @ 76K miles. To me, the truck seems to ride a bit softer or maybe a bit smooshy with the new ones. However, the new ones are not the same as the OE so, that probably plays into it a bit as well.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

Wife’s 2016 Mazda got new tires last summer with 60,000 miles on them. My Tundra is getting new tires in a few days and it hasn’t had new on it since 2013. These have about 52,000 miles on them. I hope it does ride and handle a little better.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

5. Member
    Don't have any idea about road noise on older tires. Agree with O.P. about older tires not riding very well. Had to put a new set on my P.U. this week and found out the old set was put on in 2016. Truck rides a lot better. Not very happy with the mileage on the old set only went 53,400 miles and had an average of 3/32 tread plus 2 of them had to be aired up every 3-4 days.

6. Member
    Age alone will not cause noise. However, if they’ve been on the car for awhile, it’s possible they’re cupped - wear pattern of high and low spots in the tread which happens over time. Cupped tires are noisy. Proper rotations can minimize cupping, but once the pattern develops it doesn’t go away.

Tire aging overall is complicated. It can depend on the use and environment. Hot dry climates, like in Arizona, do cause the rubber and other materials to break down/separate earlier than other climates.

Most manufacturers have guidelines for their specific brands. The typical statement is that ties over 6 years should be inspected for replacement.
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

wear will cause noise, like said above. It could be a broken belts in the tire. Old tires ride a little harder just because there is less tread.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Most tires, except those with very aggressive treads are designed so that the outer treads to minimize noise while allowing water to be dispersed. As the tire tread wears away more sound can escape. If it's a continuous noise then it's because of this. If you're getting a WHUMP! WHUMP! WHUMP! noise that's going to most likely be a result of cupping (tire getting flat spots). More tread also means more cushion between you and the road so a newer tire with more tread is going to ride smoother and quieter.

Tire wear and noise is based on multiple factors, tread design, tire compound, tire rotation, etc.

9. Member
    Thank you all so very much for the input. All and all, the answers told me what to do. I'll see the tire store real soon. Only got 31K out of these, but gonna look at something with more warranty. BTW, car is garaged and mileage 80% highway on a 2016 Mazda 6.

Regards,
    Rerun

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Front drive vehicles are prone to having the outside edges of the tires getting scalloped if not rotated on at least a 5,000 mile basis. I know this from experience! Some brands are worse than others and my worst experiences were with Continental tires but I also was not rotating frequently enough.

11. Member
    I purchased a set of used tires that looked like new for an old car. They were about 7 years old. Within a few thousand miles the belts started seperating. Only time i have had that happen.

I know discount tire wont repair a tire over 6 years old.

With old tires it could be a wear issue, like somone said cupping, or it could be an internal problem. Cupping is a sign of bad shocks.

12. Member
    I have a 2016 Mazda 6 and it chews tires. The OE tires were Dunlop and they were scary dangerous in the north. The traction was the absolute worst , outside of blue bird skies, I've ever seen.
    I replaced those with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and they did better. It was rated for 45K and I will get about 40 out of them. I will go to a harder tire this next time around.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Front drive vehicles are prone to having the outside edges of the tires getting scalloped if not rotated on at least a 5,000 mile basis. I know this from experience! Some brands are worse than others and my worst experiences were with Continental tires but I also was not rotating frequently enough.
    That's funny, I've had much better luck with Continental Extreme Contacts than just about any other.

For the OP, I'd be looking at some of the Michelin high-mileage tires. Up here I don't like them as well in the snow but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    I will go to a harder tire this next time around.
    Don't you find that the harder rubber generally performs worse in the snow?