AS GPS HS and waypoints

Helix 12 console and 10 at bow both G2N, the gps puck is currently mounted on starboard side of the boat in the back linked to the 12- Whats the most efficient way to keep the boat lined up on a way point when sitting still? As its set up now, if I’m not moving the direction the boat is pointing goes away.

2. Member
    Use the heading sensor for your i-Pilot link motor as a heading source with 1.94 software

3. Member
    The heading sensor line should never disappear. The green line which indicates which way the boat is moving will disappear if no boat movement is detected.

You should have 2 lines if you have everything working correctly. Heading sensor line and cog line

4. Member
    I may be wrong but with the AS GPS HS receiver connected to the console unit, you won't get a heading sensor input to the bow unit would you? For slow speeds <.6mph, you wouldn't have a heading line or boat symbol on the bow unit if trying to maneuver from there.? Would need to use it as GPS source at bow if networked. Would depend on where you are trying to maneuver the boat and GPS source. The heading line can be hard to see sometimes depending on background color and other factors.
    Last edited by ezfishn; 06-03-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    I may be wrong but with the AS GPS HS receiver connected to the console unit, you won't get a heading sensor input to the bow unit would you? For slow speeds <.6mph, you wouldn't have a heading line or boat symbol on the bow unit if trying to maneuver from there.? Would need to use it as GPS source at bow if networked. Would depend on where you are trying to maneuver the boat and GPS source. The heading line can be hard to see sometimes depending on background color and other factors.
    With a Helix unit, the AS GPS HS provides Location and Direction (Heading) to the unit it is connected to. It can be shared to other units via Ethernet, BUT both GPS and Heading are shared. Cannot share just heading.
    So if the antenna is not at the bow, GPS (location position) will be where the antenna is.

With an ONIX and SOLIX, you can share Heading separate from GPS.

The heading line has to be turned on, it is not as Default. Otherwise the position curser shows heading.

The convenient function of the Minnkota heading sensor with LINK is the iPilot's GPS is at the bow and the heading sensor can be anywhere. Choose that as the GPS source in the Network menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    So dumb but related question, I have struggled to interpret my direction with HS on my Helix 10 sonar GPS on my bow, humminbird Heading sensor on bow networked to my hellix 10 si chirp.

Does the boat icon Bow direction indicate boat direction in anyway or am i just watching the 2 lines to determine drift/boat direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    So dumb but related question, I have struggled to interpret my direction with HS on my Helix 10 sonar GPS on my bow, humminbird Heading sensor on bow networked to my hellix 10 si chirp.

Does the boat icon Bow direction indicate boat direction in anyway or am i just watching the 2 lines to determine drift/boat direction.
    The position icon (boat symbol) and the heading line show the direction the bow is pointed IF you installed it correctly.

The Course line indicates the direction the boat is moving.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    What would cause both the boat path/icon and heading line to be sporadic while on plane? I'm assuming interference from the big motor? I mounted the AS GPS HS in the same place that I had mounted my point 1 from when I had lowrance units and never had any interference issues.

"With a Helix unit, the AS GPS HS provides Location and Direction (Heading) to the unit it is connected to. It can be shared to other units via Ethernet, BUT both GPS and Heading are shared. Cannot share just heading.
    So if the antenna is not at the bow, GPS (location position) will be where the antenna is."

Wayne if I understand this correctly I can simply share the GPS position and Heading line from the 12 at the console to the 10 at the bow, the only difference would be an offset of roughly 16-17 feet if I'm heading/pointed toward the waypoint? If thats the case, is there any other benefit to adding a second heading/GPS puck to the bow if you can manage with that?

9. Member
    If using Helix models which can't separate Heading and GPS sources, many use the AS GPS HS at bow where you are normally at slower speeds. A separate GPS receiver (AS GRP) is used for console unit on transom near transom mounted transducers. That setup provides more accurate waypoints and gives you a heading source at bow. In your current setup if you select the AS GPS HS receiver as source for bow unit, any waypoints created with bow transducer would not be accurate as you indicated. Hard to maneuver at bow to a position when at <.6mph and seeing a donut shaped boat icon which can only be corrected with a Heading source.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The position icon (boat symbol) and the heading line show the direction the bow is pointed IF you installed it correctly.

The Course line indicates the direction the boat is moving.
    My hs puck is on my bow, I tested the location with a compass. There did not seem to be any interference. The arrow on the puck is inline with the keel of my boat and pointing forward. HS is connected directly to my helix 10 Chirp on the bow. My minnkota us2 cable is also connected to my helix 10 . Sound right?

11. Member
    Delete

12. Member
    How do you turn on the AS GPS HS heading line on a Solix with the newest software update installed? I have looked thru the manual and Youtube with no luck. Humminbird FAQ's only says it must be enable but does not say how. With my Helix it was easy to goto the NAV tab the option and turn it on. Its probably real easy and I have overlooked it multiple times. lol Thanks!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimg67 View Post
    How do you turn on the AS GPS HS heading line on a Solix with the newest software update installed? I have looked thru the manual and Youtube with no luck. Humminbird FAQ's only says it must be enable but does not say how. With my Helix it was easy to goto the NAV tab the option and turn it on. Its probably real easy and I have overlooked it multiple times. lol Thanks!!
    from the chart screen..... menu>chart option>overlay>vessel>then select HDG

14. Member
    Thanks! ntslam Ill check it out tomorrow.