Fusible Link keeps blowing!

Hi all,

First time here. I have a 2012 Manitou Oasis VP pontoon with a Merc Optimax Pro XS two-stroke 150. My fusible link keeps blowing. The 100 amp inline off the alternator. I replaced it with an inline 100 amp waterproof circuit breaker because the original fuse is sealed and they are 70.00 a piece for a new one. I haven't messed with any other wiring anywhere. It will pop for no reason and then might work fine for 5-6 hours without popping. It has done this since almost new in 2012. The motor runs fine and all electrical systems (very simple stuff, no major amp draws) work as they should. The boat has a factory installed two battery (a, b, a+b, off) system. I realize the fusible link should pop when there is a reverse polarity situation but the thing is, it doesn't pop all the time, but pretty much once or twice on a day outing. It's pretty strange to me.
    Anyone have any guesses as to why this is happening in such a manner? Thanks ahead of time!

2. Member
    The fusible link blows when the polarity is crossed at the battery, like when wiring connections and battery chargers are connected with crossed polarity.

3. Member
    Yes, I had researched and read that it blows when a reverse polarity occurs as I mentioned in my post. But it happens to my motor randomly and not all the time. I would assume if something was wired backwards it would continously/immediately blow. It doesn't do that. Which is why I can't figure it out. I'm not a mechanic, but my situation occurs when there are no chargers or anything connected. It happens on the water while running. But not all the time. How could the polarity reverse when it's not being touched?

4. Banned
    Wire grounding out? Alternator going bad?

5. Member
    Connect the motor to one battery and eliminate the battery switch for testing purposes.

6. Member
    Probably a short. See if it is associated with turning the steering wheel. Since the boat is metal, any where that wire contacts the hull will short it if it is bare. (insulation damaged)

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to Review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Technically the fusible link protects the alternator and other expensive electrical components from being damaged due to OVERCURRENT. This can be due to reverse polarity OR due to a dead-short in the high-amperage cables.

Given the situation, pull the entire battery cable set and inspect every inch for damage. Isolate the engine to ONE battery, directly connected.

Also inspect the Fusible Link Harness for chafing or shorting to ground. Strongly recommend going back to the OEM Fusible Link Harness.

Moving thread to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks guys!

9. Member
    Jutty, did you ever get this figured out. I'm thinking about doing the circuit breaker instead of fusible link.
    2008 Triton Tr 21 x HP
    2008 Mercury 250 Pro XS 1B808607

Seen the cables shorted in the rigging tube several times..
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasay View Post
    Jutty, did you ever get this figured out. I'm thinking about doing the circuit breaker instead of fusible link.
    Jutty has not logged in here since Aug 2020...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    For me I always like to read these forums and see the recommended advice giving. Its a plus when we see the advise taken and the issue resolved. I wish guys would post the results instead of asking a few questions and disappearing.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

13. Member
    ^^^ +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................