Screen Resolution for Livescope

How important is screen resolution for use with Livescope?

I'm considering the following:

-either the GPSMAP 942 or GPSMAP 1022 which are 1024 x 600 pixels
    -the EchoMAP Plus 94sv which is 400 x 800 pixels

Screen size difference aside would the increased resolution of the GPSMAP series make that much more in using the Livescope for an additional $350? I only plan on using for LIvescope. I've tried searching for videos with the two different screens but not having luck finding a comparison.

Appreciate any feedback and assistance.

Thanks,

Robert
    Last edited by mastergun; 01-09-2019 at 07:43 PM.

2. Member
    Interesting question, which makes me wonder if you can zoom in with Livescope?

Id think the better resolution would help if you could zoom in.

3. Member
    Using LiveScope - the pinch-zoom feature for touch units works on the GPSMAP units. I tried it on the 93+ and it didn't work on it.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Using LiveScope - the pinch-zoom feature for touch units works on the GPSMAP units. I tried it on the 93+ and it didn't work on it.
    LWinchester2

When you used the pinch-zoom on the GPSMAP, did the zoom help or did it distort the pixels in the Livescope image?

Thanks

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    LWinchester, outside of the zoom feature, when using it normally would the extra resolution matter in order to see fish and your lure?

6. Member
    That's a tough question to answer definitively. For seeing fish, I am planning a test scenario that will, for my purposes answer that question. I'll be comparing the echomap Plus 93sv and a large screen GPSMAP. I predict that the difference will be how it is displayed on the screen rather than whether it is displayed. The LVS is a separate system so it send data to the unit to be displayed; the bottom, range and targets encounters as well as their locations. So I would say that it would be displayed. It might look some different on the different units. Of particular interest to me is at the extreme limits of range and depth. For example, a fish 100 ft deep 100 ft away. Will it show on any unit?

Seeing your lure seems to be mostly a factor of size of lure, distance and accuracy of pointing. I have seen some 1/2 oz lures splash up to 70 ft away but if we were on the lake right now and you said for me to show you that on the first try I wouldn't be placing any bets. The coverage cone seems to be football shaped and widest at around 30-40 ft. I say that because of how much I can turn the TM back and forth when I see a fish at that distance. So if the same situation was to show you the lure casted at 30-40 ft, I could take you up on that bet.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    LWinchester2

When you used the pinch-zoom on the GPSMAP, did the zoom help or did it distort the pixels in the Livescope image?

Thanks
    Pinch zoom is delicate. It takes a bit of practice not to overdo it. It helps and hurts. Just like SideVu, there is a point at which zooming does more harm than good. You just have to fiddle with it for the best results. Friday I'll try to remember to make it a point to get some images of this.

8. Member
    Friday I'll try to remember to make it a point to get some images of this.

Thank You for all your efforts in generating and sharing your images and detailed explanations.
    Really appreciated.

9. Member
    Lenard, do you have a comparison now? Thanks

10. Member
    It is still subjective, but maybe I can be a bit helpful. In the Livescope folder on my google share are two directories named:
    Bottom at depths 5-50 and Targets 25-140. These directories contain screenshots from an echomap Plus 93sv.That should give you some idea as to the level of detail available. You've probably already looked at them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H_..._YJ6GbdK_9GAvP

Since the 93sv cannot network with a GPSMAP unit it's not possible for me to get true identical screenshots of the same targets in the same place at the same time. From a functional view it is my opinion that I can determine nearly as much using the 93sv as from my GPSMAP units. It might surprise you but the resolution is not the issue. I'm also using a 1242xsv Touch and 8616xsv. Of course the big screens make viewing much easier. Everything is bigger. It's no different than side imaging. How big will a single fish be on a 7 inch screen with the scale set to 200 ft, regardless of resolution? You won't see it. Now take a 16 inch screen and change the scale to 60 ft. Wow, how big targets are. On the 12 and 16 inch screen I can zoom beyond the detail of the data provided via GLS10, meaning over zoom. Ideal zoom without pixelation looks to be a little more than x2 Having the zoom on the GPSMAP units is an advantage, expecially on a touch unit when it's so easy and quick to do. It is a very good implemention of that function. I know it sounds contradictory, from examining the specs, but that 's because the 93sv is no slouch. Garmin knocked a homerun with this unit. I wouldn't focus on resolution.There's more to gain from screen size than there is from resolution. That's why I've never recommended the 73's for Livescope. But if you did use LVS on a 73 then set the range to 50 ft. It will be pretty good. On the 93 I consider 70 ft optimal although at times I run it out to 100. The targets get real small though and you have to pay extra attention. On a 12 or 16 inch unit, set the range where ever you want. The limitation will be the LVS not the screen size. BTW I also used LVS on a 7610. I compare resolution by calculating pixel size. The pixel sizes of the 73, 93, 7610, 1242, and 8616 by my calculations are 0.0078, 0.0102, 0.0067, 0.0080, and 0.0069 respectively. The differences I am seeing seem to be more related to screen size than resolution. If resolution is really important to you, look at the 8610. Pixel size 0.0045. That's the best number I've seen. The 73 has better resolution than the 93 so would you go with it. Definited not. The 7610 has excellent resolution but the 1242 is bigger. My 2 cents. Go as big as you can. IMO resolution is only a factor when it cannot accurately display the detail of the data being sent to it. I don't think that applies to any of these units.

There are times that my big units are off and I am only using the 93sv. When I am doing that, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing except the zoom or extra range. It's not like the LVS12. When I'm using it, I'm wishing I was using the LVS32.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 01-31-2019 at 10:11 AM.

11. Member
    Thank you Lenard. I wish Garmin would release that technical specification. The black box is digital so it must have a NATIVE resolution inside.

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Do the big units draw more power?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Do the big units draw more power?
    Absolutely. Screen brightness and size of screen are big factors.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    That’s why a 93 is a good choice for most guys as you don’t need 5 batteries