Detwiler hyd jackplate issue please help

Hey guys I have a detwiler jp and when I put the motor toter on it lifts the jp. I had an issue earlier with it not wanting to down and found out it had zerk fittings on it and it helped that but now like I said when I put the Lou's motor toter on it will just lift the jp. The jp works great on the water, goes up and down fine. For example now while towing if I hit a bump the motor slides up. I am not familiar with how this system works. Any ideas or suggestions??? Thanks guys.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Sounds like the hydraulic pump and or ram need to be replaced. Probably best to have someone look at it and get it overhauled.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    I thought that being hydrolic that if no leak is present and holds pressure in one direction it should hold the other way. Just trying to make sense of the situation.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Member
    Could be low on fluid , take a look at the top ram where the hose threads in that area for minor leaks , rub you fingers around see if they get greasey ... the fill cap is located down low on the motor side you can try adding an ounce and cycle it up and down. If its low on fluid it gets air bubbles that can compress and allow the piston to go up or down. It uses ATF.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

The diagnosis depends on the age of this Plate and which model. Tim Detwiler originally built these plates, sold to a gentleman with lots of cash, then it was sold to a third company, before a fourth and final owner. There have been one core design with four or five (4-5) variations following and now a final variation. Add to that the Teleflex company sold to Sierra, and now Sierra sold to Dometic Marine. Good news is the former Canadian Hydraulic Steering (SeaStar) GM is now President of Dometic.

Those plates before the Teleflex and fourth ownership were main stem pump models with a center ram. Fourth company plates and first SeaStar (Teleflex) were the same design and used the 125 HP Mercury Trim system. With Teleflex eventually placing their own pump system in that design.

There could be a multiple of variations and different combinations you have.

6. Member
    Thanks .... I am going to put it on the shop. Should I rebuild this one or buy a Bob's or atlas. I have not heard alot of good things about detwiler?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The diagnosis depends on the age of this Plate and which model. Tim Detwiler originally built these plates, sold to a gentleman with lots of cash, then it was sold to a third company, before a fourth and final owner. There have been one core design with four or five (4-5) variations following and now a final variation. Add to that the Teleflex company sold to Sierra, and now Sierra sold to Dometic Marine. Good news is the former Canadian Hydraulic Steering (SeaStar) GM is now President of Dometic.

Those plates before the Teleflex and fourth ownership were main stem pump models with a center ram. Fourth company plates and first SeaStar (Teleflex) were the same design and used the 125 HP Mercury Trim system. With Teleflex eventually placing their own pump system in that design.

There could be a multiple of variations and different combinations you have.
    Wow....that was a mouthful. so in your opinion is the newest version of a detwieler, regardless who build it or owns it, a good piece of equipment?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

We really like the new SeaStar Plate. It is a solid piece of equipment and we like both SeaStar and Bob’s. These are suggested plates at BCB/YCB. We do sell many more atlas plates also.

If you add the ProTap system to the SseaStar that is a very nice feature. It moves the Plate 1/4” a tap, and moves the trim is preset increments to prevent overtrimming and over elevating the plate.

What year model is your boat, or Plate?

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Thanks .... I am going to put it on the shop. Should I rebuild this one or buy a Bob's or atlas. I have not heard alot of good things about detwiler?

10. Member
    I don't know the model of the jp, but the boat is a 2012 puma ftd.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

A 2012 we believe is the Detwiler made by SeaStar and Sea Star customer service should be able to assist. That should have a Mercury 125 Power Trim assembly for power and we would rebuild it in that case.

12. Member
    Thank you so much for your time. You guys are great. I have an appointment to take it to Mare. That is what I will do then.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

13. Member
    I have a 2011 Puma FTD with what sounds like your model Detweiler. Best to have Mare take a look. Does it have issue with ram trailered low ? Interested in what you find out and will keep an eye on mine.

Since these have had the Mercury 125 HP style trim system powering them, they have not been any trouble we are aware of. The issues have not been related to the trim systems as a whole. More one off issues and those are often more related to the older trim senders. The latest versions as SeaStar parts and gauges were integrated have been much more dependable.

SeaStar is the original Teleflex company and everyone forgets they built their own gauge and sender line for industrial, agriculture, OEM and marine use.

15. Member
    Apologize for old thread ..
    did maintenance in Detwiler plate, greased zerks, added fluids, removed air….plate only works when I give slight tap on top of pump motor….thinking it is gummed up brushes possibly.

Blocked Jackplate rams fully extended thinking I could skip out the actuator and reservoir/motor so I could take apart motor and see if brushes or armature need cleaning or replacement.

HOWEVER it appears the stem on actuator,even fully retracted, will not let me slide the reservoir/motor and actuator cylinder out with motor on Jackplate. It looks like the stem on top of actuator needs to recede another 1/2” down into cylinder in order to allow the pump and actuator to slide out.

can anyone confirm the pump and actuator on Detwiler dk3000 j/p can be pulled out and repaired/ replaced without taking the Jackplate off boat?
    Last edited by MDBASSNPRO; 10-23-2021 at 02:01 PM.

16. Member
    Unfortunately I do not know the answer to that question. The problem with mine was everything was just loose causing it to bind. Since everything was tightened up plate has been flawless.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

17. Member
    Further troubleshooting it must be something with wiring to motor inside top of pump motor. The slightest tap on top right of motor and it works great but not real practical on the water.

anybody’s input is appreciated about retracting actuator.

18. Member
    Teleflex announced in August 2012 that they would handle product support for Detwiler jack plates. That Dometic operation is based out of the following location. Hopefully,they should be able to provide you some answers.

Address: 1 Sierra Pl, Litchfield, IL 62056

Phone: (800) 648-3976

Last edited by TFoley; 11-19-2021 at 08:04 PM.