Thread: Smoke Show

Smoke Show

2019 250 Pro XS 4S, serial # 2b571507. I think I have approx. 7hrs on motor, had 2 starts where a lot of blue smoke happened just on startup and was over. Anything to be concerned about?? Oil level looks normal which I believe is when the top yellow bead is covered in oil on the dipstick? Still haven't got my owners manual that the dealer forgot to include. Otherwise motor runs strong, idles sweet.

We had a couple clouds out of our 300 initially but nothing after about 12-15 hours. Couldn't figure out why either. If it's happening every start up or frequently definitely take it to your dealer

3. Member
    Mine smoked on startup If the motor had been trimmed in for a while after a long run at 1.5 hours. It did not smoke if I left it trimmed up a bit while fishing. The oil level was at the very top of the top bead so I drained off about 1/2 quart until the oil was to the top of the last crosshatched block on the dipstick, that solved the smoking. At about 23 hours I changed the oil and filled to the bottom of the top bead and the smoking came back so i drained a little off to the top of the first block. When checking the oil it is important to trim above vertical for 1/2 hour or so to allow the oil to drain back from the cylinders; then trim vertical (I put a level on the anti ventilation plate) and check the level.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Oil level should not be beyond the last yellow bead (normally closer to the center of the beaded-zone). See the Quick-Reference Decal (under the access door on the top of your cowling) for a picture example.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    My 400r does this after storing it trimmed under. Oil sits on the rings and leaks past into the cylinders over time. It doesn’t do it if I store it trimmed horizontal or slightly above.

6. Member
    The trim position is key. Mine did exactly what yours is so I did a search. Other 4s brands have done the same thing so after I make a run and stop I just trim up a little problem solved.

7. Member
    As I stated in post #3 having the oil level below the top bead stopped the smoking even after being trimmed in for extended time. I like to have my motor trimmed in when I stop to fish so I don't forget and try to take off trimmed up a bit.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8