Looking at a 2018 ZX250

Anyone where with a 2018 ZX250? I am looking hard at buying one. Not sure yet.

Was wondering about the numbers, time to plane, top speed etc. Was also wondering about the deck layout. Very different from what i am used to. Was it hard to get used to it? Do you like it better than the traditional layout. Pros & Cons? Your overall thoughts if the boat?
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

2. Member
    I came out of a ZX190 into this boat. It is a night and day difference in ride. My 18ft ZX190 was a quick and nimble boat with more of a stiff sports car feel and ride. The ZX250 is a very smooth ride. It has a bit more heavy feel than my 190 but deliberate and stable. It comes down soft from waves and boat wakes.
    So far I have had mine to 70 with a partner, full tank of gas and full livewells. Time to plane is quick with empty livewells and takes a couple seconds longer with full livewells. I have not done a speed test empty with just me but getting on plane empty is just a gentle rise of the bow and you are there. More like one continuous motion.

My ZX190 had more of a conventional layout. A little crowded with a partner. My partner didn't really have a place for his rods. If you fish with a partner you both will love the new layout. If you get a single console you will find it very efficient for both of you.
    I still like it fishing by myself. I like the rods in the middle. I also keep my plastics in there too.
    This layout makes you rethink your organization (the only real con I can think of) but you have room to spread out instead of having one dumping ground for everything.

Oh, one other con. No good place to stow a traditional net. I bought a Hibernet that I store in the port locker with the anchor light pole.

All in all I give it an A- because of the net.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    I agree with you. I have a 2018 zx225 - I love the speed and ride the way it fishes just everything - The storage is growing on me - I like it now - My cons would be net storage and maybe better cooler design Its a matter of time before I break the cooler opening it or closing it people walking on it etc.. All in all this boat is top notch and I've been in all of them my last boat was a 2014 ranger - My next boat will be another skeeter and another skeeter after that lol - To date the make the best overall boat hands down

4. Member
    I have mixed feeling about the center locker. In my current boat (2014 Ranger), i tend to kneel on the step or sit on the deck next to the locker, open the center locker door to access my tackle etc. The skeeter locker doors open different, however there are day boxes I could load up and not really need to get to the rod locker. Once benefit of the center locker seems to be if you had several rods laying on deck and you needed another rod, you don't have to move the rod on the deck, or worry about them going overboard when you got to get another rod. I can't decide if I like it or not. I thought the same thing about the cooler. seems like the lid is just a thin cheap plastic lid, and the cooler seemed quite small compared to what I have on the ranger. I would be worried the cooler lid would break because it would get stepped on quite a bit, as well as I am a large guy and so are some of my friends.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

Love my 250 for all of the above reasons. I added the Atlas Hyd JP to mine and can run 70-71 all day with full wells a tournament load 2 guys and almost full fuel tank. Have had it to 73.9 by myself and feel It has a little left. I solved the net problem by buying a stowmaster and it's carrying case. It folds up really small slips right in case and in port rod locker behind the tackle trays. It is a little pricey so this may not be for everyone but I did not like the way my hibernet fit in the port box.

6. Member
    My last boat had the same cooler lid. Lasted 6 years. I'm 250 lbs and my partner is close to that. It's stronger than you think. The hinge pops easily but snaps back in easily. It will pop off if there is anything in the way of the seal or if its over filled.
    My problem with the cooler lid is the color. Black is a tereible color is the south Texas sun. On my last boat I made a white fiberglass cover over it which helped a lot.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO