HELP!! 1994 Stratos Livewell Timer

I have a 1994 Stratos 285 Pro XL. It has 2 livewells, and 2 pumps per livewell (recirc & fill). The console has a "Master Aerator" switch and one "off/recirc" each livewell. The bow has a timer switch (2 min/up, off/middle, 6 min/down), and an auto/off/man switch for each livewell. Next to the driver seat are 2 valve levers to open and close the livewell drains. I just replaced all 4 pumps and the recirc pumps are now working fine. The fill pumps on the transom however, are not working. I have tested the switches on the bow and they seem to be getting all the correct current. I replaced the wire connectors between the timer CaPlug and the switches because they were heavily corroded. I read online that the bow switches run the fill pumps when switched to auto/timer. I'm not sure if they run the fill or recirc pumps when switched to manual. My next step is to replace the CaPlug Timer, because I am almost certain it is bad, but I cannot find the right one. I have found 3, 4 and 5 wire CaPlugs, but mine is a 6 wire CaPlug. Everything online, also has a pin connector on the CaPlug and mine just has the wires running directly into it. If anyone can help me to find the correct CaPlug, that would be great. Also, any information on this system or wiring would be appreciated, even if it doesn't directly apply to my issue. I will load pics soon.
    Matthew 4:19 - "Come, follow Me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

2. Banned
    I have a wiring diagram for a 5 wire rig rite timer module
    Last edited by Phoenix Dreaming; 08-11-2018 at 09:32 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    I have a wiring diagram for a 5 wire rig rite timer module
    I'll take whatever you got. Thanks
    Matthew 4:19 - "Come, follow Me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

4. Banned
    Sent you a pm.

5. Member
    Here are all of the wiring diagrams I could find online. The timer diagram is the one I need, but I can't read all of it. It's too blurry when zoomed in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    I checked as much as I could today. Both pump switches have 12V coming in, Manual select works recirc pumps, Switch to "auto" has 12V going to timer pod, timer switch has varying volts(green wire has 11V, yellow/green has 9V & 11V when moved to middle row, Yellow has 7V). Timer pod output wire(brown/black) has 1.9V(waited for cycle). I believe the timer pod is bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if wires are in the wrong place or missing all together. Please help, I have been at this for over 2 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by basscast84; 08-11-2018 at 07:23 PM.

7. Member
    Looks to me like you have a major corrosion problem. A lot of the wire plugins look like they have been hot. Bear in mind, corrosion can travel down a wire a long ways. Has boat been around salt water?

8. Member
    Corrosion? I was just looking at the pictures and thought....man, he doesn't hardly have any corrosion compared to me. Anyhow, mine work, turn on the boat Master switch, turn on the switch marked "Fish" on the left side of the console, turn on the Accy switch for the selected livewell, turn on the appropriate side switch on the front console to "manual" and select 1 or 2 with the middle switch. The selected fill motor should run.

9. Member
    Hey basscast84 I know its a late post but I recently purchased a 1994 285XL Pro DC.. My boats electrical layout is similar if not the same as yours. If you need help I can attempt to take some HI resolution pictures for you. Have you had any luck finding a replacement 6 wire timer cap?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousjay303 View Post
    Hey basscast84 I know its a late post but I recently purchased a 1994 285XL Pro DC.. My boats electrical layout is similar if not the same as yours. If you need help I can attempt to take some HI resolution pictures for you. Have you had any luck finding a replacement 6 wire timer cap?
    Sorry, it has been a while since I logged on. Now progress yet. I am sure the timer pod is bad, they just don't make them anymore with this wire configuration. I am looking into replacing it with a digital time delay relay module from ebay. I would appreciate the help too. Thanks

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Corrosion? I was just looking at the pictures and thought....man, he doesn't hardly have any corrosion compared to me. Anyhow, mine work, turn on the boat Master switch, turn on the switch marked "Fish" on the left side of the console, turn on the Accy switch for the selected livewell, turn on the appropriate side switch on the front console to "manual" and select 1 or 2 with the middle switch. The selected fill motor should run.
    What "accy" switch? I have an Accy switch on the console and one on the bow. No Accy switches linked to livewells.

12. Member
    It seems like an overly complex setup, but was the 90’s so who knows :)

So, if I sum it up... you switch the man/auto switch to Auto, and it should run the pump at whatever timing schedule your time switch is set too, either 2 (up), 4 (middle) or 6 (down)?

Although you mentioned the middle was off, not 4 mins? The wiring diagram shows it should be 4.

Anyway. If you don’t need such fine minute by minute control, you can wire a new Rig Rite 520 timing pod in to the Manual/off/auto switch directly. In Manual, it is just that, it will run nonstop. In Auto, it will run 1 minute on and 3 mins off. Off is obviously off. So that switch is a SPDT or a DPDT switch (from the pictures they look like DPDT switches).

This will free up the other switch for whatever you want I suppose :)

The wiring is not too difficult if you know your switches posts and which wires go the pump and you 12 volt positive and negative. The diagram I think you were sent will show how to wire it to the one switch, or google “rig rite 520 wiring” and it will come up.

I have never found the 1 min on/3 min off to be a problem keeping things alive and well.

13. Member
    What a friend of mine had to replace was something that looks like a shotgun shell that is pluged in to a harness , and he had to call around to stratos dealers found 2 and everything is a okay , next thing I would get some electrical spray cleaner spray some things down get rid of the crud

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DQM View Post
    It seems like an overly complex setup, but was the 90’s so who knows :)

So, if I sum it up... you switch the man/auto switch to Auto, and it should run the pump at whatever timing schedule your time switch is set too, either 2 (up), 4 (middle) or 6 (down)?

Although you mentioned the middle was off, not 4 mins? The wiring diagram shows it should be 4.

Anyway. If you don’t need such fine minute by minute control, you can wire a new Rig Rite 520 timing pod in to the Manual/off/auto switch directly. In Manual, it is just that, it will run nonstop. In Auto, it will run 1 minute on and 3 mins off. Off is obviously off. So that switch is a SPDT or a DPDT switch (from the pictures they look like DPDT switches).

This will free up the other switch for whatever you want I suppose :)

The wiring is not too difficult if you know your switches posts and which wires go the pump and you 12 volt positive and negative. The diagram I think you were sent will show how to wire it to the one switch, or google “rig rite 520 wiring” and it will come up.

I have never found the 1 min on/3 min off to be a problem keeping things alive and well.
    Thank you. You are correct. 2/4/6 timer. I purchased a timer relay and I am in the middle of replacing and rewiring all switches. I will update when done.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    What a friend of mine had to replace was something that looks like a shotgun shell that is pluged in to a harness , and he had to call around to stratos dealers found 2 and everything is a okay , next thing I would get some electrical spray cleaner spray some things down get rid of the crud
    Thanks. I am rewiring all switches and converting to a programmable timer relay