Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I love my dually. It’s made towing my 34’ 10,000 lb travel trailer a walk in the park. Granted prior to the dually I was pulling it was a half ton F150, but having the trailer go 45 degrees to the left and right behind the truck twice on its own will make you decided overkill is the way to go lol
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4S
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades
    Lowrance HDS Live 12
    Lowrance HDS Live 9

2. Member
    I have a 26 Chev Duramax and it would absolutely pull it. HOWEVER, the issue of high winds, cross winds and emergency handling all say dully to me. I pulled a 12500 GVW fifth wheel loaded returning this spring from Florida on I 26 into Asheville on the Saluda grade a long stretch from the SC border to the top in NC an increase in elevation of just over 1100 ft. I think it’s a 6% grade. My CHEV can maintain 60-65 mph no sweat! No chips, standard all the way.

Pull a 34' Jayco Eagle 2 or 3 times a month with my Chevy 2500HD, fully deleted, EFI Live tune, Air Bags, Big Wig Swaybar and Toyo AT II's, zero issues. I also have a Cirrus 820 truck camper that I put in the bed and pull my ZX225 Skeeter.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

F250's/2500's have very little payload capacity. Add the people, gear, fuel, hitch and there isn't much left if you want to tow 'legally". Lots of people talk bout how great their F250 tows their 40 foot plus toy hauler, they are full of crap and they aren't legal to be on the road. They just don't know any better. You could probably get by with an F350 SRW or the equivalent with those weights. Only way to tell is to go to a truck stop or somewhere and get it properly weighed. DRW is a much better towing experience with a 5th wheel but some people refuse to get one no matter what.

I had my previous F250 weighed with a 35 foot toy hauler and I was well over my rear axle weight but toy haulers typically have heavier pin weights. The RV manufacturers post pin weights but they are notoriously inaccurate and don't include things like the propane tanks being full. I got an F450 and ended up with 44 foot toy hauler, the F450 is incredible for towing and has a much better turn radius than the F350 DRW. You used to be able to get the wide track front end on the F350 DRW but don't think it's an option now except on the F450.

Something to consider, quite a few sites require a Class A (non commercial) if the combined gross weight rating exceeds a certain number, around 16,000 pounds if I recall. I had to get a Class A in Texas, even my F250 and 35 foot toy hauler required it. Many RV owners don't have it but if the right person is involved in an accident and you don't have the correct license it could get ugly.
    Last edited by C130; 06-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.

5. Member
    I PUT 680,000 miles on a Dodge/Cummins hauling U.S. Govt housing trailers after hurricane Andrew. A few sets of tires---brakes.....etc of normal upkeep.Engine/transmission (auto). Truck was WORN OUT !!!!!! but the engine still ran like new !!!!!

6. Member
    A Dually will serve you better, been there, done that. I suggest a Ford!

7. Member
    I pull a 41’ Solitude 5th (actually had it converted to a Reese Goosebox) with an ‘18 3/4 Chevy Crewcab Duramax short box. I know I’m probably right at the limit, but it does just fine. I pull at 64 - 68 mph and always feel in control. I have added Bluetooth bags to my truck. The Duramax and the Allison transmission is exactly the same in the 2500 or the 3500’s. I know some are going to say I’m overloaded, but from behind the wheel it’s just fine. I also occasionally pull a big skid steer Kubota and a load of equipment on a 32’ gooseneck that weighs far more than the Solitude. The Duramax handles it. Like said earlier - Take your time, and you’ll be fine. And - I hate duallys!
    Bryan O' Z521-250ProXS V8
    Total Recreation Products Inc.
    Commercial Park and Playground Equipment
    totalrecreation.net

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    F250's/2500's have very little payload capacity. Add the people, gear, fuel, hitch and there isn't much left if you want to tow 'legally".
    This, at least with diesels. Can a modern 3/4ton diesel handle the OP's load? Almost certainly. Can it do it legally with a family in the truck and a loaded camper, staying under GCWR and rear axle ratings? Most likely not.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    At that length I would opt for a dually, the weight isn't my primary concern in this scenario but rather maintaining control and stability while traveling. The vehicles you listed will definitely pull it but you will have to expect that during heavy traffic or heavy winds that the trailer will get pushed around, a lot! With that being said the dually is by far more stable and reduces the amount of side to side movement which makes towing much easier and a lot less stressful. If you are only traveling short distances or staying off the interstate then the SRW will be fine, but if you are planning on traveling from state to state or across country then the dually would be best. Either way I hope that you enjoy your truck and camper!
    A DRW is not required for an 11,000 LB / 35 foot 5th wheel.

Certainty would hurt, but a SRW 3500 is more than enough truck.

Now - to the OP, it's all about payload. If your truck can handle the payload you are fine, if not it's time to get a 3500 or have your truck modified and recertified to handle the weight.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Now - to the OP, it's all about payload. If your truck can handle the payload you are fine, if not it's time to get a 3500 or have your truck modified and recertified to handle the weight.
    How do you have a truck recertified to a higher limit? I know the current 10K limit for 3/4 tons is just a throwback govt number from many years ago when pickups were much less capable. But I was not aware you could have them certified to a higher limit.
    John

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    Go with a 1 Ton SRW,if you not wanting a DRW

X2

12. GTB
    RFSims I agree

13. Member
    I pull a 30’ 5th wheel, 10,000 gvwr with a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD with a 6.0 liter gas engine. I haven’t pulled it across the Rockies but it pulls it with no issues. It is my daily driver and I didn’t want a diesel because of the short commute I have daily.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

14. Member
    Yes, 11K is nothing for a 3/4 ton diesel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12