97 Fast Strike 150 problem, J150GLEUE

Went out on lake on Friday, motor cranked easy. Slow speed from launch then got on step. Almost immediately the motor sputtered slightly and died. Would not start. Used troll motor to get out of channel. Tried for quite sometime to start. A few times it would crank for a few seconds. Finally after almost killing the battery it started. We ran it for a while and it seemed ok. Today we went out and shortly after planeing out it died at about 4000rpm. Would not start for quite sometime. It started and we cruised slowly for a short piece. It killed again, cranked a while and it started but only run a few seconds. Cranked again finally and before the boat would plane out it died again and never cranked back up. Used the troll motor to get back to launch. The motor ran perfect a few weeks ago. It was in shop for about two weeks for seals in lower unit. They said nothing they did would cause this problem. He did mention he removed lower carb to remove bolt for gear shaft. I could easily remove the bolt without removing the carb. The motor will be for sale as soon as I can remove it.

*the boat had just come out of shop for lower unit seals. They also replaced ignition switch. The motor ran perfect before the shop visit.
    Last edited by Michael Stelly; 06-18-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stelly View Post
    Went out on lake on Friday, motor cranked easy. Slow speed from launch then got on step. Almost immediately the motor sputtered slightly and died. Would not start. Used troll motor to get out of channel. Tried for quite sometime to start. A few times it would crank for a few seconds. Finally after almost killing the battery it started. We ran it for a while and it seemed ok. Today we went out and shortly after planeing out it died at about 4000rpm. Would not start for quite sometime. It started and we cruised slowly for a short piece. It killed again, cranked a while and it started but only run a few seconds. Cranked again finally and before the boat would plane out it died again and never cranked back up. Used the troll motor to get back to launch. The motor ran perfect a few weeks ago. It was in shop for about two weeks for seals in lower unit. They said nothing they did would cause this problem. He did mention he removed lower carb to remove bolt for gear shaft. I could easily remove the bolt without removing the carb. The motor will be for sale as soon as I can remove it.
    So, you trying to sell it and not fix it or what ?????

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Good question! It's a shame that some of us don't have a good BRP shop for our repairs. Taking the carb off is ridiculous.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    So, you trying to sell it and not fix it or what ?????
    Twice it has left me in the water. Not sure I can trust it. Compression average 110lbs
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Agreed no need to remove the carb or the bolt to disengage the shift rod.

6. Member
    Shop called today said it’s the power pack that’s causing intermittent loss of fire. Ordered power pack, hope this solves the problem.
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

7. Member
    Double post
    Last edited by Michael Stelly; 06-18-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Double post
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150