Loose tow hook on rear port side of boat?

My tow hook on the port side has water dripping from it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?

Thanks

2. Member
    Literally just had this happen the last time we went out. Backed the boat in the driveway. Cranked it up because we were working on something.. can't remember why right now. but anyways saw a water spot on the driveway and found out it was leaking out from the bolt of the hook. (left side boat hook). Shoved my hand in there and it was filled with water back where the hook is. Sort of like a ledge / bowl area in there where water can just sit. We haven't troubleshooted it yet but id imagine the rub rail leaks or something. But the nut on the outside of the bolt we just tightened up and it fixed the leak OUT.

3. Member
    There are no hooks on my boat

so what are y'all talking about?
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    There are no hooks on my boat

so what are y'all talking about?
    the rear tie downs. Buddy with a 2012 721 had exact same issue that dealer had to fix
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    the rear tie downs. Buddy with a 2012 721 had exact same issue that dealer had to fix
    Oh, the ring things. lol
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    Just sealed mine a few weeks ago. Pulled both out bit only one leaked. Put a heat lamp on it for a few weeks so it would dry out. Still have the Rub rail leak but it will be fixed pretty soon. Hopefully that fixes any leak. Not that a little water hurts anything but it erks the piss out of me to have a wet boat. I would be willing to bet those ledges up in there are filled up on most phoenix boats. Not sure why they still get a leaky boat thru qc. I guess stuff happens but it sure does suck working in there

7. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Many of us dont ratchet those Boat Buckles very tight on the rear tie downs for that reason. It's not really necessary. Just one click or two.
    If I'm going on a long trip I may snug them a little, but I never make them real tight.

In the winter while storing boat, I have them hooked, but not clicked at all.
    No reason for the extra stress on those tie down rings if your boat is just gonna sit a few months.

8. Member
    my boat hasn't been ratcheted down very tight but still leaks. I have had two boats one for 16 years and the other for 11 years with no leaks but this one is only a year old and is leaking. has nothing to do with ratcheting down to tight.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I havent noticed mine leaking but will keep an eye out next time out.....on the other hand, i'm like Fidgetcranker, once i get home i loosen all straps, that's the back two and the bow hook.....no need to keep it tighten when not moving....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    They don't flex when you tighten them down. The sealer was put on the inside and not on the outside on mine. That's why they leaked.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I havent noticed mine leaking but will keep an eye out next time out.....on the other hand, i'm like Fidgetcranker, once i get home i loosen all straps, that's the back two and the bow hook.....no need to keep it tighten when not moving....
    ditto
    TrackerUser

12. Member
    I have the same issue. 3m sealant around threads or something else to seal it off?

13. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    How did everyone resolve this?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    How did everyone resolve this?
    Swivel socket with extensions and its hard to get to the nuts to get them loose. Scratched up arms will definitely happen lol. I got them out and put a heat lamp on it for a little over a week before resealing and reinstalling them. While i was there i resealed everything including the rub rail. Sealing is definitely one area that the factory fails at. Everybody should reach up inside the bilge under where the step pads are and see if theres water in the valley in there. I bet there is

15. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    There has been on both my Phoenix boats. I tipped the front of the boat as high as I could. Water dripped out for 5-days running fans from inside and out. I could get enough silicone into the bottom hook to maybe plug it. I've been on the water 7 times since and no drips, so I either sealed it or it hasn't filled back up in there again yet. Time will tell. Thanks