Thread: 20 or 21 PHX

20 or 21 PHX

Just sold my 920 and in the next few months will hopefully be in the market for another boat if things go as planned. But I’m at a bit of stalemate. I love the sportiness and handling of the 20 footer but at times I’ve been in rough water and wished I had just a little more. My home lakes are fairly small and I do find myself fishing some tight stuff in the spring but as summer comes I always find myself fishing the Tennessee river lakes, Toledo bend, and sam Rayburn so I encounter big water when Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate. I’ve been in both and know how I want everything rigged. But, don’t know if I’d rather a 20 or 21ft boat. Any input as to why one over the other would be appreciated. I’ll be happy with either but just wanna hear some opinions.
    2016 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Is a 721 not an option? You want the best of both worlds, that would be the route to go in my opinion.

3. Member
    Haven’t really given the 721 much thought. I like the deck layout of the PHX and have read that PHX is wider at the front pedestal base but I’ve never seen a measurement for it
    2016 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    There's a sticky with all the measurements on the home page for Phoenix. That'll give you all the measurements. :)
    2017 721 Pro XP
    250 ProXS
    Twin 8' PP blades
    Humminbird 12 at dash and 10 at bow
    Ultrex 112

I went from a 20'2" boat to a 21 PHX (almost 22' long). You will never regret getting the 21 - like you ride was my number one deciding factor. Docks are no problem. With a 4 blade prop and Bob's performance holeshot plate it leaps out of the hole and I still get 76mph.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

6. Member
    Crossed Sam Rayburn about 5 weeks ago and a very windy day..biggest water I'd ever been on inland..4-6ft waves...going across the lake with the swells was quite a ride...once got to where we could go head on into them, found a speed to say on top and off we went..never once even came close to spear a wave...I can attest to the the fact the 20 PHX is the best ride I've ever been in, and I'm sure the 21 would have to be a little better...that being said, like you I fish mainly smaller lakes so I choose the 20 for tight spaces, and speed..You'll love either one you pick!
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO