Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I installed Vessel View Mobile a few weeks ago and I should have bought this system before now. While some complain about having to reconnect when the engine is shut down, I have found that not be an issue for me. For my boat and needs this system is great.

2. Member
    hey guys

I am new to all this smart craft nmea 2000 stuff. i have the smartcraft tach and speedo with a 225 opti. i was wundering what all i need to run the view on my gps for engine temps and all that other stuff from the guages if that is possible without spending a tone of money

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knezzer View Post
    hey guys

I am new to all this smart craft nmea 2000 stuff. i have the smartcraft tach and speedo with a 225 opti. i was wundering what all i need to run the view on my gps for engine temps and all that other stuff from the guages if that is possible without spending a tone of money
    You would need to update to a different Smartcraft Instrument or System, such as one of the following:

-MercMonitor (Level-1 or higher)
    -Vessel View LINK (Depending on what Graph you have, this may be an excellent option).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I'm also a newbie to all this hi tech stuff.
    I have a 2013 Mercury 250 Pro xs. Serial # 1B976372
    Looking to link the smart craft to my Lowrance. What would be everything I need to purchase to do so? I only need to see water pressure, rpms, engine temp and trim.
    Thanks
    Last edited by snowblind; 07-07-2018 at 10:00 AM.

5. Member
    If you don't have a Mercmonitor, then you will need $600-$700.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    If you don't have a Mercmonitor, then you will need $600-$700.
    So you're saying I would need more than the Vessel View Link module and a Ethernet cable?

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    So you're saying I would need more than the Vessel View Link module and a Ethernet cable?
    If you have.a Mercmonitor then all you may need is a Nmea backbone. If you do not then you will need to spend the amount Savage listed on EITHER a Vessel View Link or a Lvl1 Mercmonitor. Send an email to Don for a complete kit.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    If you have.a Mercmonitor then all you may need is a Nmea backbone. If you do not then you will need to spend the amount Savage listed on EITHER a Vessel View Link or a Lvl1 Mercmonitor. Send an email to Don for a complete kit.
    That's what I needed to know. Thanks

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You need a
    Level-1 or Higher Mercmonitor for this feature (important). Basic or Eco Version is not equipped with NMEA-2K capability.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I've been doing some research on this exact subject and need some clarification.

Here's my set-up:

2005 Mercury Pro XS 225 s/n 1B150370
    Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 (non-touch) x 2 at helm/dash and on side mount
    Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 2 (non-touch) x 2 at bow
    NMEA/Ethernet networked

I have read the following:

In 2012 Mercury announced an interface kit that does not require a new gauge. It is p/n 8M0065207 (dead link) and includes a T connector.

All that I can seem to find is the following:

Mercury OEM Engine NMEA 2000 Gateway Module Part # 84-8M0105243 (SS 8M0065208 & 8M0065207)

I have limited dash space available, so I wish to remove my Tach and useless speedo, fab a custom panel insert, and bolt the HDS 8 to it. I want to display engine data such as RPM/WP/WT on that HDS screen.

Is this possible? Do I need anything else besides the gateway/NMEA extension cable/T connector?

Thanks!
    Last edited by CDN Bass; 08-07-2018 at 09:58 AM.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post

In 2012 Mercury announced an interface kit that does not require a new gauge. It is p/n 8M0065207 (dead link) and includes a T connector.

Thanks!
    This is Vessel View LINK. The Gateway Module is old technology. It may not even be supported by Mercury any longer. The VVL is designed to interface with Lowrance and is a top-of-line product. It adds an entire menu option to HDS units. I do not know how well it works with a non-touch unit though. Don will have to answer that question.

An option I know that works is a Level1 Mercmonitor. It is a single gauge the size of a standard Tach/Speedo. You could easily incorporate this into your new panel. I actually prefer this set up since I do not have to have my screens cluttered up with overlays. I use a tri-data screen on the Mercmonitor with RPM, Water Pressure and Coolant Temperature.

Both the VVL and Mercmonitor provide plain language alarm information. They do not store codes but do show active alarms.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Vessel View Link is designed to work with Gen-2 or later Lowrance TOUCH Screen models (as well as select other brands such as RayMarine).

I have a '17 250 Pro XS with a level 1 or 2 (not positive)Merc Monitor. Is there a pigtail to hook the nmea cable into? Is it a 5 pin round cable? I'm assuming it would be located under the dash instead of back by the motor. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Capw; 02-16-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

IF you have a Level 1 or 2, it will be under the dash. It will probably be wrapped up nicely. If you have a BASIC Mercmonitor, it will not be NMEA capable. Can you view or set up tridata-screens?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

IF you have a Level 1 or 2, it will be under the dash. It will probably be wrapped up nicely. If you have a BASIC Mercmonitor, it will not be NMEA capable. Can you view or set up tridata-screens?
    I know for sure its at least level 1. Everything is wrapped up tight under the dash so I'm sure it's in there somewhere. My Humminbirds are nmea 2k compatible. Thanks
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A Version and a Level flash up on the screen during the Boot Sequence. Record and provide that info in your own (separate) post for assistance.

17. Member

Smartcraft Options for 2003 Merc 225 EFI

Hey, all,

Looking for some guidance and advice on what options I have for installing a Smartcraft system on a 2003 Mercury 225 EFI. Serial Number is OT735467.

Thanks,
    Dave

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner71 View Post
    Hey, all,

Looking for some guidance and advice on what options I have for installing a Smartcraft system on a 2003 Mercury 225 EFI. Serial Number is OT735467.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave- your engine's PCM may not support most of the later-software versions. It is Smartcraft Compatible up through Version 3.0 for sure.

As much as I'm not fond of the old System Monitor, it would be a secure bet for this model.

If you purchased a later-version it MIGHT be necessary to have your PCM reflashed. For further system options or pricing, see Rhonda's post (pinned here at the top of the forum) and send her an email.

19. Member
    So if I have none of this now and I want to see info on my Gen 3 touch, I would need to by a mercmonitor with harness and hook that up, then buy a vesselview link and hook the mercmonitor to the Lowrance?
    Last edited by coachmks; 04-09-2019 at 01:20 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachmks View Post
    So if I have none of this now and I want to see info on my Gen 3 touch, I would need to by a mercmonitor with harness and hook that up, then buy a vesselview link and hook the mercmonitor to the Lowrance?
    No. you either purchase a Mercmonitor, or a Vessel View Link, not BOTH.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast