Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent Electrical Problem on RT178

Can anyone tell me what the symbol (rectangle with a circle in the middle) between the 20 amp breaker and the fuse box is?

When I hit a little chop on the water my console and bow electronics shut down and all the switches on the console stop working except the jack plate. The problem is intermittent which makes it a pain in the butt to figure out. Been troubleshooting all evening and I believe the breaker may be the culprit. Since so many circuits are affected I would think the problem has to be before the fuse box which only leaves the breaker and the connection at the fuse box. I'm just wondering what that symbol is.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    That is, or should be a resettable breaker at the starting battery. Check for loose and/or corroded connectors.

3. Member
    I actually was showing some guys around on the river last fall and they were following me in their 198 and it did the exact same thing. Master breaker was bad.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    That is, or should be a resettable breaker at the starting battery. Check for loose and/or corroded connectors.
    Everything looks good, nothing is loose or corroded. The boat is only six months old.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    I actually was showing some guys around on the river last fall and they were following me in their 198 and it did the exact same thing. Master breaker was bad.
    I feel like that may be what's wrong with mine. I'm going to order a breaker tomorrow and hope that fixes it. I've checked all the connections and everything else looks good.

6. Member
    Symbol looks to be a terminal block or possibly a battery cut off switch.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    Symbol looks to be a terminal block or possibly a battery cut off switch.
    I'm thinking it's a terminal block because the wire coming out of the breaker is heavy gauge wire but the wire going in to the fuse box is a lot smaller.

I had the same problem and replaced the master switch and that did not fix the problem. After the new master switch was replaced I still lost power from time to time. Then all of a sudden I got power back and have not lost it since. I think the problem is still there but for the time being it is cooperating. When it gets warmer I’ll do some searching.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    I had the same problem and replaced the master switch and that did not fix the problem. After the new master switch was replaced I still lost power from time to time. Then all of a sudden I got power back and have not lost it since. I think the problem is still there but for the time being it is cooperating. When it gets warmer I’ll do some searching.
    Oh boy, that's not what I want to hear. I wish it would just lose power and stay that way, then I could find the problem and fix it.

Mine usually loses power for just a few seconds, just enough to shut down the GPS but the last time it went out it was out for about 30 minutes. It happens every time I hit another boats wake or just a little chop on the water. Very frustrating!

Keep me posted on what you find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    Oh boy, that's not what I want to hear. I wish it would just lose power and stay that way, then I could find the problem and fix it.

Mine usually loses power for just a few seconds, just enough to shut down the GPS but the last time it went out it was out for about 30 minutes. It happens every time I hit another boats wake or just a little chop on the water. Very frustrating!

Keep me posted on what you find out.
    You are doing exactly what I would have suggested. I would order a new breaker and change it out and keep the old one for an emergency just to get me back to the dock....
    I had a similar problem on another Ranger I owned (not the RT) and the new breaker fixed the problem. When I got the RT, I ordered some emergency parts for it. I ordered another breaker and it's in plastic in my parts box in the boat just in case. I fish some pretty remote places in Florida and try to keep a few things that might get me out of a jam. The replacement breaker is one of them.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    You are doing exactly what I would have suggested. I would order a new breaker and change it out and keep the old one for an emergency just to get me back to the dock....
    I had a similar problem on another Ranger I owned (not the RT) and the new breaker fixed the problem. When I got the RT, I ordered some emergency parts for it. I ordered another breaker and it's in plastic in my parts box in the boat just in case. I fish some pretty remote places in Florida and try to keep a few things that might get me out of a jam. The replacement breaker is one of them.
    I hear you Panama. I have a lot of parts and tools in my boat as well. I fish way back in the swamp and usually by myself, so if something happens I'm on my own. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

if its mounted where mine is...if you look when its raining/or washing...you'll notice water drips straight into the top of the switch..
    mine was doing the same thing when i first got it ....it had some rust on the contacts from the water...i made a aluminum piece with double sided 3m tape to cover it.
    i wonder what that symbol is?... A connector maybe?
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 04-06-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

13. Member
    I had a 2013 rt-188 and took the fuse block temporary out of its location to run some transducer cables, I found a connector block like the one used in the front of the boat to connect the trolling motor lead wires to the 6ga. wires that go to trolling motor batteries. I opened the little plastic box that covered the connection at the fuse box where the large wire went to the smaller ga. wire that feeds the fuse box to find the connector nuts that connect the two together were loose! This might be your problem, take a look!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    I had a 2013 rt-188 and took the fuse block temporary out of its location to run some transducer cables, I found a connector block like the one used in the front of the boat to connect the trolling motor lead wires to the 6ga. wires that go to trolling motor batteries. I opened the little plastic box that covered the connection at the fuse box where the large wire went to the smaller ga. wire that feeds the fuse box to find the connector nuts that connect the two together were loose! This might be your problem, take a look!
    You were exactly right. It took me awhile to fish the terminal block out through the hole where the fuse box goes but once I did I found the same thing as you did. The nut on the stud was really loose. It took about 6 or 7 turns to tighten it. Once I tightened it I put some locktite on the threads. I haven't been on the water yet but I'm sure it's fixed now. I could wiggle the wire going in to the plastic terminal box and everything would shut off just like it was doing on the water.

Thanks for the info.

Unbelievable! I’ll be checking that block on my rt198 tomorrow. Thanks lineman42 for bringing that to our attention.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    Unbelievable! I’ll be checking that block on my rt198 tomorrow. Thanks lineman42 for bringing that to our attention.
    n2bassn, I sent you a PM.

17. Member
    Thanks for the information guys.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    This is most likely your problem. Same thing happened to me. It drove me nuts and dealer could not figure it out. I pulled the fuse panel and fished out this connection. Opened the plastic cover and it was loose. Like Ranger never tightened itin the first place. I would check this first.

19. Member
    So is that box between the starting battery and the fuse box.

as I said earlier, I was also losing power. Thanks to this thread I removed fuse panel and located black box where two wires are connected and sure enough the connection was very loose. Fixed now. Someone at Ranger that installs the wiring harness really screwed up. I hope someone at Ranger is reading this thread. Thanks to all for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast