Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    I had a 2013 rt-188 and took the fuse block temporary out of its location to run some transducer cables, I found a connector block like the one used in the front of the boat to connect the trolling motor lead wires to the 6ga. wires that go to trolling motor batteries. I opened the little plastic box that covered the connection at the fuse box where the large wire went to the smaller ga. wire that feeds the fuse box to find the connector nuts that connect the two together were loose! This might be your problem, take a look!
    I really appreciate your post on this. I did not realize this problem could exist. I need to pull mine just to check it out. Hard to believe a technician could affix two battery wires on a block and not tighten the nuts.....good grief. I have not had the problem myself, but I really thank you for bringing it up. It could save me an issue on the water one day....lot better to check it in the garage than in the middle of the lake. Thank you.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Anybody got pics of this??
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

3. Member
    I am not quite sure where it is either. I looked by the battery and see a main black on/off breaker. I know the fuse box is up by the throttle but I did not take it out and look around yet because I am headed to Tennessee in the morning.

thanks guys for posting this. I'll be checking mine shortly.....pun intended.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    I am not quite sure where it is either. I looked by the battery and see a main black on/off breaker. I know the fuse box is up by the throttle but I did not take it out and look around yet because I am headed to Tennessee in the morning.
    Remove the four screws that hold the fuse box in and pull it out. Look inside the hole and find the heavy gauge red wire and start pulling it out through the hole and you'll find the little black plastic box everyone is talking about. Open the plastic box and you'll find the terminal post.

6. Member
    Thanks Pipercub

7. Member
    Gotta say THANKS... I had the exact same problem and sure enough it was a loose connection as described.
    My boat is a 2016 rt188.

Same symptoms...same issue.
    Hopefully that was the fix.
    Last edited by Shooter1975; 07-26-2019 at 02:11 PM.

8. Member
    Not sure if Ranger is like the crest liner but my dad has a crest liner and had the same issue. Oh his there is a plug under the console that all the console electronics plug in. You could unplug it and remove the console except for the steering. His plug wasn't fully plugged in. since he plugged it in and taped it up its been perfect.

9. Member
    Went out yesterday... Zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Anybody got pics of this??
    Sorry I am late to the Party.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    Having the same issue have replace switch once already was getting ready to replace switch with an actual battery on and off switch not a big fan of the light switch style. Sill have some more wires to run so I will be looking at that connection. Definitely is a horrible place for them to put that connection almost impossible to get to should’ve been underneath consul.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Sorry I am late to the Party.

Never to late when you have pictures

13. Member
    Well crap, not Im going to have to pull mine out and check it....lol
    Semper Fi

14. Member
    2017 RT178 started off last week with trim switch In the back being intermittent. Then same day in the water noticed my trim gauge was indicating all the way up when the motor was down. At the same time my throttle trim switch stopped working. Motored back to the ramp went home. Now at home in garage started checking fuses, all fuses rang out good. Then checked if I had power to the fuse box, no. Found the black box you are all talking about and yes the nut was completely loose. It’s just a bad design and location. Vibration on that style of nut will do this. Should be relocated under the dash with sealed connector and hard mounted. Now I have power at fuse box and all my switches work again, almost. None of my gauges work, my throttle trim still doesn’t work, and the motor won’t start or turn over not hearing a thing. Checked connector on key switch, good. Range out throttle trim switch good in the up not the down so switch is bad. Tested the main breaker, no resistance build up and showed 12.8v opposite for off position. But that’s where I had to stop for the night. Feel like it’s something simple I’m missing here is all. I’m the second owner and fished in it every week for almost three years straight no issues. Had surgery and was down for a couple of months boat set in garage. Went out fishing about 4 or 5 times and this all started. Any help would be much appreciated.
    F989ACFF-0729-4BE6-AB73-3D8333A95383.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kota178 View Post
    2017 RT178 started off last week with trim switch In the back being intermittent. Then same day in the water noticed my trim gauge was indicating all the way up when the motor was down. At the same time my throttle trim switch stopped working. Motored back to the ramp went home. Now at home in garage started checking fuses, all fuses rang out good. Then checked if I had power to the fuse box, no. Found the black box you are all talking about and yes the nut was completely loose. It’s just a bad design and location. Vibration on that style of nut will do this. Should be relocated under the dash with sealed connector and hard mounted. Now I have power at fuse box and all my switches work again, almost. None of my gauges work, my throttle trim still doesn’t work, and the motor won’t start or turn over not hearing a thing. Checked connector on key switch, good. Range out throttle trim switch good in the up not the down so switch is bad. Tested the main breaker, no resistance build up and showed 12.8v opposite for off position. But that’s where I had to stop for the night. Feel like it’s something simple I’m missing here is all. I’m the second owner and fished in it every week for almost three years straight no issues. Had surgery and was down for a couple of months boat set in garage. Went out fishing about 4 or 5 times and this all started. Any help would be much appreciated.
    F989ACFF-0729-4BE6-AB73-3D8333A95383.jpeg
    There are two electrical circuits on your boat. One of the positive leads on your battery goes to the main fuse box on the boat and another goes to the main fuse block on the motor (under the cowling).
    You had a connection problem on the boat circuit, but you fixed that, now you need to check for voltage at the motor fuse block. The power source for the gauges, trim switch on shifter and trim switch on cowling all come from the motor circuit so I would start by checking for presence of voltage at the motor fuse block.
    You don’t mention what motor you have but if it is a Yamaha, there is a main fuse on the port side of the block. Over the years, I have seen several of these fuses blow for no apparent reason. There is a replacement fuse mounted just above it.
    This is very general, but hopefully it will help point you in the right direction to diagnose the problem.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12