Unhappy I did Something Stupid! I topped off my trim fluid...

Getting my '99 Mercury 175 EFI ready for the season, I topped off my Trim fluid. I thought I did it properly, but obviously not.
    1. Ever since, fluid leaks out of the Cap when the motor is in the down position. 2. The motor is slowly lowering itself a couple of inches every hour or so.

I never had any problems until I stupidly added fluid. Now I don't know how to make it stop.

Thanks,
    Adrian

2. Member
    may have cut oring
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    may have cut oring
    On the cap?

4. Member
    yes sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Could have a tiny crack in the cap. Be sure it isn't cross threaded also.

6. Member
    Probably added oil to a sealed system that was not low and blew out pump or cylinder seal. Check your manual I think motor should be trimmed all way down when checking fluid level as well as adding fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by loganmartincat View Post
    Probably added oil to a sealed system that was not low and blew out pump or cylinder seal. Check your manual I think motor should be trimmed all way down when checking fluid level as well as adding fluid.
    My Manual says to check fluid with the motor trimmed to it's upmost position & add fluid if needed. Since a ton came out, I added some & cycled the motor a few times and checked again. I'm pretty sure I overfilled. The leak seems to be coming from the cap. I removed it and it does not have an o-ring. New one on the way. I believe I have bled the system correctly now as the falling has pretty much stopped. Still have the leak in the cap for now...

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidpayne View Post
    My Manual says to check fluid with the motor trimmed to it's upmost position & add fluid if needed. Since a ton came out, I added some & cycled the motor a few times and checked again. I'm pretty sure I overfilled. The leak seems to be coming from the cap. I removed it and it does not have an o-ring. New one on the way. I believe I have bled the system correctly now as the falling has pretty much stopped. Still have the leak in the cap for now...
    Good news, cap lots cheaper than rebuilding pump with new seals