Question for RT188 owners

I have put a deposit down on a new leftover 2017 White RT188 with 115 Yamaha SHO. It doesn’t have hydraulic steering and I don’t have any interest in adding a hydraulic jack plate, but what I do question is if I should have the guys add the 4” manual set back plate that’s listed on the Ranger website. I don’t have any plans to fish tournaments at this point, mostly harass bass, crappie, and shell crackers on the Upper Catawba lakes in NC (Wylie - Lake James).

Those of you with these boats, that have added the setbacks and have experience before and after... was it worth it?

(I tried the search function, came up empty).

Also, for introductions... I work for a local power company inspecting some 30+ Hydro Generation stations in NC and SC. I run a variety of aluminum boats at work, duck hunt out of a mid-2000’s Xpress 18’ w/90 HP 2 stroke yammy (Dads), and just sold a super clean 96’ Malibu Ski Response LX to make room for something I could use (I can’t ski). I’ve been fishing since dad bought a bass tracker back in 92’, mixture of glass and tin, but have always enjoyed it.

Look forward to learning from you all.

2. Member
    I think you will be just fine with the engine mounted directly to the Transom. Best I can tell is those plates are overrated for the amount of increased performance they provide. The only real advantage I see is if you fish super shallow waters, having the ability to raise the engine a bit seems like a good thing, other than that, for 1-2 mph gain I'll pass.

Congrats on your new boat, you will love the boat/engine combo. Can't go wrong with a Yamaha.

3. Member
    The other thing the jackplate is good for is that you can mount a transducer on it instead of mounting one on the bottom of the hull.

4. Member
    I personally don't think any of the benefits are worth it on this particular boat. Other opinions will vary I'm sure
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

5. Member
    it's such an inexpensive add-on I'd say go for it. You'll get a little top end.

6. Member
    Another advantage of the set back plate, the rigging tube will sit in the splashwell better keeping it out of the way of anyone on the back deck fishing. Voids a tripping hazard. The non adjustable plate is only a couple hundred dollars versus a hydraulic one thats a grand.

7. Member
    I ordered the setback with my boat. I was told that it really helps the boat get more bite in turns. Can't say if it helps or not since I've never run the boat without one.

Quote Originally Posted by sktrbtr View Post
    Another advantage of the set back plate, the rigging tube will sit in the splashwell better keeping it out of the way of anyone on the back deck fishing. Voids a tripping hazard. The non adjustable plate is only a couple hundred dollars versus a hydraulic one thats a grand.
    i have run the same motor with and without the off set plate and this ^^^ is about the only difference I can see. That being said, I would still buy it again given the choice.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I would pass on the manual jackplate... Save your money to upgrade your electronics or buy an ultrex.. Just IMHO. Good luck....
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

10. Member
    Thanks for the replies. The boat has a 70lb Edge on it now, which I plan on running for a few years. Electronics wise, I went with the new Hook 2 7’s in the dash and ram mounted in the bow (one triples shot and one split shot I think), so I’m kind of maxed out budget and skill level wise on those. We’ve ran a hook 5 successfully on the Xpress for the last 4 years or so, so I’ll be more than pleased with the new 2 series for my purposes.

Sounds like if he can add it for 300 bucks or so I’ll get it, if not... I’ll leave it off. Thanks again for all the replies.

11. Member
    Welcome to BBC!!

Mine has no JP, from what I’ve read here I’ll save my money and upgrade my digital 70 Maxxum trolling motor to the Ultrex when I can. I used Cabelas phenolic board for both my rear transducers. I have two HDS7’s. The transducer on the trolling motor is protected by a transducer saver. Mine came factory with Baystar steering since I have a Merc 4 stroke. No one has ever complained about tripping over the rigging tube back there.

Mine has the rawhide interior, I really like that interior for pan fishing, white bass, tilapia, etc! It’s sooooooo much easier to keep clean than carpet.

12. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    I do not have one on my 2015 RT188, put the money towards an Ultrex and two Helix 7's. Would I like to have one, yes, but decided the Ultrex and electronics would be more useful.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scfisherdude View Post
    I ordered the setback with my boat. I was told that it really helps the boat get more bite in turns. Can't say if it helps or not since I've never run the boat without one.
    I've had the Rt188 both with and without the manual setback plate. The only difference was in the handling. It hooks up much better in tight turns. If ordering a boat definitely worth it... If you already have a boat without, I wouldn't bother.
    Ranger RT188 (2015)
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 115, 4" Setback Plate
    Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 iPilot 70lb
    Garmin 73SV @ Helm, 93SV Chirp @ Bow

14. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    If the boat has a pad hull you will get some more mph if it's a mod V then I'd rather put that money in other upgrades like hydraulic steering or upgrade the TM. I'd do a hydraulic jp so you can run a bit shallower tho.

15. Member
    I ordered mine mounted to the transom. Added a Spitfire x7 19p and then a 5.5 manual jackplate. No regrets. The jackplate help get my rpms back up from adding the x7. In the end running 47-48 right now. Going to bite the bullet soon and get a 3 blade 20 or 21p. Ask a lot of questions and talk to the guys on here, they have helped me a lot.
    2017 RT188 Crystal Red DC
    Yamaha SHO 115
    CMC 5.5 manual jack plate
    Spitfire X7 19p
    Minn Kota Maxxum 70
    Hook 7 in console
    Hook 9 on bow