Writing on the wall? Fate of Merc 2 Stroke Pro XS?

Sorry if this is out there, but everything I found is a year or two old. With Mercury releasing their new four strokes, and the 250hp version right around the corner, what is the fate of the 2 Stroke Pro XS motors? Is Mercury purposely delaying the 250hp release to flush 2 stroke inventory from dealers? Is it still wise to buy a current 2018 2 stroke Pro XS? Personally, I am fond of four stroke, and I like the SHO, but am considering two boats, one with Pro Xs and the other with a SHO. The boat with the Pro XS is a much better deal, but is smart to buy 2 stroke with the industry clearly moving to 4 stroke? I hear the Mercury 4 stroke 250 is scheduled for release this summer, but it will be a while before they are available and I’m not real fond of a first year product so that puts me back to a 2 stroke Pro XS or the SHO. I know there are people who love the 2 stroke Pro XS, I get it. But thinking about future value, is it a bad decision to purchase a 2018 Pro XS 2 stroke. Please share your thoughts.

2. Member
    Don't forget all the mechanics are experts on the pro xs and will be for awhile.

Not really, the engine is a dependable product with a good reputation. The end result is what pleases you. They have a scheduled announcement date, and following release on the next version of four stroke. It will not release at the Bassmaster Classic and the date is later as you’ve heard. Availability we know is within a reasonable period of the release date. They have been in extensive product testing and VERY few are aware of the product details.

If the price and product pleases you we wouldn’t let it hold us back. This is the last opportunity for anyone to own a new 2 stroke engine from Mercury.

4. Member
    I've learned so much about Pro XS motors from the 3L forum. Be hard to start over with something different.

5. Member
    Good points. Basscats point that "this is the last opportunity for anyone to own a new Mercury 2 stroke"...sounds like this may be the last year for the 2 stroke.
    Last edited by Kybobcat; 03-13-2018 at 08:44 PM.

6. Member
    Hopefully the new 4 strokes won't have the same growing pains as the Optis...
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

7. Member
    V8 Time baby