Thread: Low Voltage

Low Voltage

I have a 2011 250xs. Took it out and voltage wouldn't get to 13 volts while running. Didn't pay much attention to it at first because I figured the battery was just some what weak from not being ran for a couple months. After about a hour the alarm began going off when trimming then the voltage showed 12 volts while running and 11 when trimming up or down. Checked the connectors and everything looked ok. Went and got a new cranking battery because I was due for one this year anyway. Took the boat out again and ran fine for about 3 hours then the alarms came back when trimming and voltage staying between 11-12 volts.

Was going to change the alternator next because it just seems likely it's not getting a charge while running. Has anyone ever changed one out on this motor and what's a good website to find a alternator to purchase. Thanks

2. Member
    be sure all fuses are good and fuse link to alt is not open many alternators have been replaced and did not fix problem[ please do not assume alt is bad] recommend NOT using aftermarket alt if needed JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks Joe,

Is fuse link the only fuse from the alternator to the battery? I looked at all the fuses from the battery to the motor and all appeared to be ok. That was my first reaction when this happened. It was something with a fuse for the trim, but I did for get to mention in the original post that that alarm does sound when getting the RPMs over 3500 and the voltage drops between 10.5-11 volts. Thats the just why I thought alternator at first. I'm gonna pop the cowl off again and just look and make sure I'm not over looking any fuses though. Thanks

4. Member
    The Fuse Link is built into the wire, it is NOT a conventional fuse.

5. Member
    Right, I found that but can't tell if its is blown by just looking at it? How do I go about testing it?

6. Member
    Everything seems to be intact at the fusible link, only thing that sticks out to me is that there is a super glue type residue coming out of the shrink rape around the fuse. But nothing is busted out of the shrink rap and its not black or anything of that nature

7. Member
    Test with a DVOM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor