Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Investing in spare prop

I have a 2015 225 Pro xs with a 25p Tempest. However, I do not have a spare prop in the boat with me. I'm looking to get another prop for backup, but am curious to know how much people normally invest in the spare. I'm just looking for something that I can get on pad with and back in. It would be great if I could just buy a new for a spare, but $ isn't growing on my trees yet. Do you normally buy a spare hub kit also? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I carried a twin to my regular prop with hub kit and spare nut and washers

3. Member
    i found a used tempest for a spare 200.00

4. Member
    I picked up a used one that is comparable, and a spare hub kit. If you jack up a stainless prop, you probably jacked up the hub as well.

Most guys have summer and cool weather props, whichever you arent running is the spare

Unless you are like me and some of the other go ffast junkies, then you pick one of your 5-8 you have laying around as the spare
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Unless you are like me and some of the other go ffast junkies, then you pick one of your 5-8 you have laying around as the spare
    Yup.. I have prob 2500 in spare props on the shelf.. what we spend for that extra 1 to 2mph ..ughhh

7. Banned
    Bought the same prop just a pitch smaller and used it to pull tubes with/spare.

8. Member
    I keep a spare aluminum in the boat. I figure if I hit something hard enough to mash the primary, I'm not worried about WOT performance. It's a limp back to the dock (if you're lucky) situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Yup.. I have prob 2500 in spare props on the shelf.. what we spend for that extra 1 to 2mph ..ughhh
    You need to show me your $ tree. haha.

10. Member
    I wouldn't recommend an aluminum for a spare on a 225hp. Buy a cheap used stainless prop tempest are easy to find for under $300.

Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    I carried a twin to my regular prop with hub kit and spare nut and washers

I do the same. And carry tools to change it.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    Spend as much or as little you want on a spare prop.

I highly recommend a complete duplicate spare set of all hubs and hardware, and the tools needed to swap it out.

Ive seen EVERYTHING disappear except the lower unit itself.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

13. Member
    Usually people have a spare that serves a different purpose. Like a warm or cool weather prop, a 4 blade or 3 blade, a rough water prop, or just one to slap on and go balls out. If your buying one anyway I would try something else. What boat do you have and I bet someone can recommend a prop. Might turn out to be the same one, who knows

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTTEXAN View Post
    Spend as much or as little you want on a spare prop.

I highly recommend a complete duplicate spare set of all hubs and hardware, and the tools needed to swap it out.

Ive seen EVERYTHING disappear except the lower unit itself.
    I had a friend with brand new boat .Lower unit is laying on bottom of the lake, "just fell off"

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    That only the msrp on one 10’ blade, not running them will gain you more than one or 2 mph...

but seriously. If you wreck a prop the hub is likely shot as well. New hub and hardware with appropriate tools suggested. I would try a different prop myself. I would likely get a brovo 4 xs in the same pitch. And use it for rough water and spare
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Thanks everyone. I have an 02 TR-20 and love the prop that I have. I have hit 74.1 gps with just me and 1/4 tank of gas. Not sure on the P2P. Since I'm doing a little tourney fishing, I really need a spare. Plus, I tore a good chunk of my skag off when an underwater boulder got me last summer way up the river about 15 miles form the truck. Luckily, it never scratched an ear on the prop but I realized a spare would've been handy if needed. Couldn't make sense of spending full price on another, but figured I'd fine a much cheaper used one as many of you recommended. Just curious what most do out there with the props.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by drew18 View Post
    You need to show me your $ tree. haha.
    Money tree lol difference is im not running a 100k rig or trading my boat in every year like some here on BBC.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    That only the msrp on one 10’ blade, not running them will gain you more than one or 2 mph...
    Couldnt imagine life without Power Poles or the ultrex well worth the (1 MPH loss)
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.

19. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I have two 24 Raker II's. One came with my new motor and the other I bought as a spare here on the BBC props for sale board. They perform identical to each other. When the new one gets to the point it is losing performance I will switch props. When it comes to the point they are both losing performance I will send them off and have the freshen up.

20. Member
    I have a A40 tempest 25 for sale that I have been using as a spare. Comes with the hub... Asking $260

hell, it might even be better then the one you have... Croxton worked it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast