Thread: tilt trim issue

Question tilt trim issue

Has anyone replaced or removed the trim/tilt motor on a 1998 Yamaha pro-v 150? Mine failed this summer over vacation in July and now I am just getting around in the next month or so to fixing it. I watched a video on youtube and it doesn't look that difficult to replace and look at off the motor. I can hear the relay clicking when I try any of the trim switches on the boat, but I am not ruling out one of the 4 switches could be bad also. Any help is appreciated, since this will be a fall/winter project to get it working for next spring. Currently the boat is stored 100 miles away, but shortly I will move it to be stored closer to me, instead of near the lake.

2. Banned
    Your trim motor is the two wire type. Really easy to test.

Remove the heavy blue wire and the heavy green wire from the trim and tilt relays. The wires that come from outside the cowling from the trim motor. Jumper the blue wire terminal to battery positive and the green wire to battery negative. The motor should run and trim the lower unit up. Jumper the green wire terminal to battery positive and the blue wire to battery negative and the lower unit should trim down. If it does not work then either the electric motor or the brushes within the motor are kaput.

If the motor works then it is time to test the relays. Check the motor first. If it is working come back here.

If the relays are clicking when the switches are activated that typically means the switches are doing their job.

3. Member
    I just had to have the trim motor re built on my 08 175 hpdi. It's not too bad to take the whole assembly off the boat. Just be careful and make sure you don't lose any of the plastic bushings. Mine had 4 I think. There are a few YouTube vids that are helpful. Mine was sounding funny and sometimes would just click like you are describing. Good luck!