Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    If speed, ride, storage and durability are tops on your list I'd suggest one of the go fast brands. Bullet3119 has an excellent Stroker for sale that'll meet all those criteria. I've owned two Champs, three Rangers and two Cats. I've seen how several brands are built. I'll put Cats build quality up to any other bass boat. That being said I'm not sure there is a bad boat left on the market. May as well buy what makes you happy.

2. Member
    Buy a Phoenix

Here is my recommendation....buy a bass boat you can afford and be happy. If you can afford all of them, shop around for the best deal on one that suits you and can get serviced locally.

Ranger has never entered my mind when purchasing a Bass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Ranger has never entered my mind when purchasing a Bass boat.
    Just when you post on bbc...

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    speed...middle of the pack or slightly lower

ride...upper part of the pack

storage...mid part of the pack *if you were asking about the Z520 then it would rank upper part of the pack. Z19 has no storage in the step and the cooler is on the front deck. If you store rods on the driver's side of the deck you will have to move rods to get to the cooler.

durability...near the top of the pack
    Yeah. On the Z -18 and Z- 19 the storage layout is the worst I have ever seen on a new boat. It's as if the Ranger design people put absolutely no thought or effort into the layout. I guess they were too busy with the $40 plastic remote drain plug thingee.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    Yeah. On the Z -18 and Z- 19 the storage layout is the worst I have ever seen on a new boat. It's as if the Ranger design people put absolutely no thought or effort into the layout. I guess they were too busy with the $40 plastic remote drain plug thingee.

Not sure they have made those in a while

8. Member
    I think all of the high end boats are pretty similar. Everyone has their biases and allegiances. Somebody has a bad experience with X brand and spends the next decade bad mouthing that company on every forum. Someone else loves that same brand and won't consider another.

Ford vs. Chevy

Which one is better? If you are towing a trailer or hauling a load, in the end, both will probably do the job pretty similarly. Each has an advantage but they are fairly similar once all of the brand emotion is stripped away.

Ranger, Skeeter, Champion, Phoenix or whatever, they are all similar in more ways than they are different.

My last 2 boats were Rangers and am now in a Skeeter. They are within a few MPH top end and all ride about the same. The differences are not as great as internet forums make them to be. I fished a few tournaments in a Phoenix and I liked it. If I was blindfolded I'm positive I wouldn't know the difference between it and any other boat running down the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by stringwise View Post
    I think all of the high end boats are pretty similar. Everyone has their biases and allegiances. Somebody has a bad experience with X brand and spends the next decade bad mouthing that company on every forum. Someone else loves that same brand and won't consider another.

Ford vs. Chevy

Which one is better? If you are towing a trailer or hauling a load, in the end, both will probably do the job pretty similarly. Each has an advantage but they are fairly similar once all of the brand emotion is stripped away.

Ranger, Skeeter, Champion, Phoenix or whatever, they are all similar in more ways than they are different.

My last 2 boats were Rangers and am now in a Skeeter. They are within a few MPH top end and all ride about the same. The differences are not as great as internet forums make them to be. I fished a few tournaments in a Phoenix and I liked it. If I was blindfolded I'm positive I wouldn't know the difference between it and any other boat running down the lake.
    very well said

10. Member
    donate your $70,000.00 to the American red cross.your 2016 triton will do anything just as good as a 2019 ranger will do.
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

11. Member

I disagree on not being able to tell a difference between a ranger, skeeter, and phoenix if you were blindfolded. I've never ridden in a skeeter so I can't say on them but I've tested a z520, a 920, and a 921 while shopping for an upgrade from my 518. The phoenix boats were a ton better in rough chop and across ski boat wakes than the 520 and landed smooth as butter. The 520 was definitely better than my current boat boat I wasn't all that impressed with the ride.

12. Member
    I would also consider how long you would plan on keeping the boat.
    With that said I believe the ranger would hold it's value better and be easier to sell if you had to.

My advice to to look at each one and ride in each one. Are Ranger bad boats, NO but not any better than the Triton you own now.

I would not buy any Johnny Morris boat. Not that I have anything against him or his business model. I admire his success BUT I prefer smaller companies and the more personal customer service that typically goes with them.

My choice would be:
    Basscat
    Phoenix
    Charger (Champion versions)

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Ford vs. Chevy

I like the way you think.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I like the way you think.
    Isn't logic so refreshing!!!

17. Member
    I do think their is a difference between the different brands in ride, speed, and the way they fish. I have owned a 2012 Z522, 2004 VX521 rangers, 2006 20I class Skeeter and the last one was a 921 Phoenix I do agree the best with the trolling motor down is the Ranger but not by much over the Phoenix. The Phoenix is much softer on the ride then either of the other two brands. The lay out is personal preference, with Phoenix making two lay outs now in their 20 and 21 foot boats. The two lay outs are real close to the Skeeter and Ranger with the 920, 20 PHX and the 921, 21 PHX. I still think the best advice is to go and ride and drive on a rough day and see how they ride and fish on bad days. That is the only way you can know for sure because of people's bias.

18. Banned
    Im not bias....just never wrong

19. Member
    save your money and fish from shore!

Like the title says....There's Rangers and the others.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast