Z20 dashpad help please

I have a 06 z20 the dashpad still starts the boat but the fuel tank light just stays on the 1 side and nothing else on the keypad will work, also the front keypad lost all power. It worked fine last weekend and won't this one. I've read a bunch of posts on here but no one says exactly how they fixed it. I'm thinking the brain and keypad. Thanks in advance

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Did you try resetting the keypad? Look at the sticky (top of page) titled Ranger maintenance tips and tricks for info on keypads. Hope that helps.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I read those first hoping it would help, unplugging the battery didn't help out. None of the lights flash so it doesn't act like an internal breaker tripped. None of the buttons will work the functions and the front bow touchpad has no power coming from the console touchpad.

4. Member
    i just had a problem with my switches not working and found a ground wire bad on the plate in the driver console

5. Tony C
    Just fixed a friends Z20, keypad would light up but nothing worked. No pumps, no power to front pad. We unhooked the cranking battery, let it set, we left it over night as it was getting dark. Hooked battery back up in the am, everything works as it should. Two days now and so far so good. Time will tell. I believe the brain and keypad gets reset. Almost like rebooting a computer. Hope this helps, good luck.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

Most of the keypad problems I have had were traced back to a marginal battery. If the voltage is not strong it seems weird things start happening on the keypad
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Update. Got a new computer it worked for about 30 min and started doing the same thing as the old one. Pulled the battery cables let it sit for a bit and it started working. Came outside this morning and it's back to only starting the boat, nothing else will work and the front keypad wont light up and work either.

8. Member
    sounds like a ground problem. try disconnecting, cleaning and apply some permatex aluminum anti-seize lubricant. it will help the connection and prevent any corrosion.

9. Member
    I also suspect a ground issue, or could be a loose or bad wire connection, or a pinched wire, since the issue is intermittent. Wait until there is no power and do a continuity test on the main + and - leads to the keypad plug. Good luck.

All the grounds read fine connections are clean, the only thing I can find that seams strange is when you open the breaker that feeds the brain 12v it has 4.5 volts on the positive lead. It's back feeding from the console keypad. This may be normal but doesn't seam right. I'll keep you posted so hopefully this helps others with there problem

Update: I got a new keypad for the dash yesterday and everything seams to be working just fine, hopefully it stays that way for a while. If I get time I'm going to try the old brain box to see if the keypad was the problem the whole time. Hope this helps out people in the future.

12. Member
    Mpink, Make sure you turn off your main power breaker when you charge the batteries. That's been a source of
    the power pads going bad. Good luck.